Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport validity for bali?

Evening all! Hows that moon tonite?
    I was wondering if anyone out there has travelled to bali on a barely valid passport, i.e only just over 6mths remaining? Im going there in may, and my passport expires in january 2012, giving me 7mths left. What i want to know is if the indo's use the 6mths rule rigidly( meaning i should be ok) or can they look at it and say, "hmm, 7mths is close to 6mths, nope, go home".

Anyone been in this boat? Would be nice to get one more stamp before it expires, but if it looks like they're gonna fuck me around i might get a new one.
    'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is to get permission..

As far as I'm aware 6mths or more is all you need. It'll be to hard if different countries had different limits.
    RIP ADRIAN LEE
    16-12-1986 - 22-3-2007
    I had plenty of time to rub one out in space which was great but after awhile it was like living in a snowglobe - Peter Griffin

Comment

you'll be fine once you get there, you'll get stopped in australia if anything !!

Comment

Is the 6 month rule relating to 6 months from date of departure or return?

If you are going to renew your passport anyway, do it before you go. That way, upon return you can use the e-passport queue and save standing in line with all the other plebs

Comment

6 mths from return departure date as I understand it (just in case they need to throw you in with Shapelle). Spock's was very close to expiring and he was repeatedly told by the Aussie airline ticketing crew to renew but the Indonesians were fine with it.

Edit - actually not so much told to renew - more 'this is the last trip you can do on this passport'.
          Last edited by Lolly; 20-03-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Do I need six months validity left on my passport before I can travel from and then re enter Australia?

Australian passports are valid for travel into and out of Australia regardless of the length of remaining validity.
            An Australian passport remains valid until the expiry date.
            However, it is the right of any country to control entry into their borders and this is usually done via visas or ensuring sufficient validity remains on the visitor’s travel document. Entry requirements are decided by foreign governments and are not something that the Australian Government can influence.
            You need to ensure that your passport has adequate validity to meet the entry requirements of the countries you intend to visit (or transit). Some countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay, and immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity.
            https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/FAQ.aspx#faq6

Comment

GF got done regarding the 6 month rule going to Jakarta. What Jetstar staff said was not allowed to go into some Asian countries need at least 6 months on the passport. So got a new passport within 3 hours the next day.

Comment

I wouldn't risk it or at the very least check with immigration before you leave to clarify.
                Husband who has lived in Oz for 46 years and served in Australian Army nearly didn't get back into Oz for not having an Australian visa when we went to Indonesia a few weeks ago.
                This side was ok and made a note about it as we left, but it was quite an ordeal trying to get back in, they don't miss much and the Indonesian computer communication system wasn't working.
                A phone call to Oz cleared it up, but I can imagine he would not have caught the flight if it wasn't organised before hand in Oz.
                Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

Originally posted by 19andrew59 View Post
                  Do I need six months validity left on my passport before I can travel from and then re enter Australia?

Australian passports are valid for travel into and out of Australia regardless of the length of remaining validity.
                  An Australian passport remains valid until the expiry date.
                  However, it is the right of any country to control entry into their borders and this is usually done via visas or ensuring sufficient validity remains on the visitor’s travel document. Entry requirements are decided by foreign governments and are not something that the Australian Government can influence.
                  You need to ensure that your passport has adequate validity to meet the entry requirements of the countries you intend to visit (or transit). Some countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay, and immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity.
                  https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/FAQ.aspx#faq6
                  I called the australian passport dept. and they said as much, aussie passport is good until expiry, but other countries have different requirements. I think im gonna risk it, i mean 7months is more than six months, and im only going for 5days ( home on the 11th may, expiry jan2012). If i end up in kerobokan hilton, i dont think it will matter whats in my passport..

Thanks for all the advice anyways!

P.s do you still get a stamp with e-passport? I got some cool stamps and visa in mine, i love looking thru it every now and then for some travelling memories, partly why id like to get one last stamp in this one.
                  'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is to get permission..

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh Yerbouti View Post

P.s do you still get a stamp with e-passport? I got some cool stamps and visa in mine, i love looking thru it every now and then for some travelling memories, partly why id like to get one last stamp in this one.
                    On the way out, you still go through the same procedure regardless of passport type. However, Aust customs doesnt stamp passports (many countries don't, eg France). However, if you ask nicely, they will still give you a stamp.

On the way in, if you use the ePassport system, then no stamp. Nothing stopping someone with an ePassport frmo going through the normal (slow) system.

Comment

I had to up date mine when i went to Bali & only had 6 months left on it & was told to get a new one??
                      Call Shaun 0419 446 964 /1300815066
                      [email protected]

For all your motorbike loans, car finance, business loans and commercial , home loans and Jetski finance, Finance Jobs Financeandloans.net.au.
                      propertyinabox.com.au/fusion/m/185/approved_all_loans_group/home
                      Find out more about me and my finance loans on
                      Get finance updates daily through my twitter feed

Comment

just get a new one...is really a dumb question.....
                        A site all parents should check regulary
                        http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Working...
                        X