Something strange is going on - shops are very quiet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange is going on - shops are very quiet

My wife and I were at Karrinyup SC the other day during the week and the car park was about 25% full and inside the SC it was really quiet.

She said that normally there were far more shoppers around.

What's going on? Are we all more thrifty now and stashing our money in Milo tins under the bed?

There are stories in the papers about people being more cautious now and the retailers are worried.

Have our attitudes to consuming, debt and saving changed post GFC?
    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Maybe the vapid houseleeches had their allowances cut? Maybe they've been forced to go out and get a job themselves?
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

really? I went to joondalup on the weekend and it was packed.
      Originally posted by polonY
      Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

I think your scientific analysis of one car park is definitly enough to warrant an investigation by the highest powers.
        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
          really? I went to joondalup on the weekend and it was packed.
          Me too, but a lot of that was due to those pesky pedal powered cyclists closing the damn roads and causing grid lock when I was there. Unfortunately I was in the cage with the Mrs and got stuck in it all! Grr!
          I've got a Blade, I'm not afraid...

CBR1000RR - 171HP|114Nm|Yoshi CF Slipon WRX STI - 266HP|399Nm|Ultrex 3"TBE|PW CAI

Comment

Can confirm as a Wholesaler and Foodcourt shop owner that its very slow at the moment.
            Sure the Shopping Centre can still get busy at times but we have had to cut staff hours
            and reduce our directors fees/own wages significantly. With fuel prices going up this puts
            further pressure on peoples expendable cash, and will push prices up on many items.

Hopefully come Easter time it will pick up as it normally does, not looking forward to
            selling bikes etc. to keep cash in the business(s) if it doesn't.

Comment

karrinyup? they were all at Ikea instead.
              Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
              Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                My wife and I were at Karrinyup SC the other day during the week and the car park was about 25% full and inside the SC it was really quiet.

She said that normally there were far more shoppers around.

What's going on? Are we all more thrifty now and stashing our money in Milo tins under the bed?

There are stories in the papers about people being more cautious now and the retailers are worried.

Have our attitudes to consuming, debt and saving changed post GFC?
                Come to gateways, everyday is like the apocalypse is coming.
                "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Gateway's where's that??

Karrinyup quite, now that's my kind of shop (pity it's so far away), the only time I ever actually go to a shop, they are freakin busy with slow moronic people walking around getting in the way.

Will have to brave it again soon though as the old clothes are getting a bit thread bear

Comment

be interesting to see how businesses will react to this if it hangs around for a bit longer.

my not-remotely-scientific observations suggest that during the new extended hours, ie between 5-9pm, shops are still SUPER busy. I reckon a lot of shops could re-jig their opening hours. It seems to me that people like shopping after work. In many places i've visited around the world, lots of shops open at 10 or even 11 and stay open late in the evenings. Seems logical to me - early in the day people are busy and worrying about what they have to get done, after work they're more likely to start relaxing.

So yes, this might be a change, but change is not necessarily bad.

Comment

In my experience, the older folk like getting out and about early in the day, especially in summer, as they can get back home before it gets too hot. They would be the only ones inconvenienced, but as always, individual businesses should be able to decide what is best for them and their clientele.
                      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Funny this was mentioned. I had to drop into Mandurah Forum today, about 10:30. I hate going there at the best of times, but traditionally mid morning on a Thursday is the time I despise it the most (think Pension Day in Mandurah). It was eerily quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                          individual businesses should be able to decide what is best for them and their clientele.
                          Unless you run a motorcycle shop
                          Theirs no replacement for displacement

Comment

Man, glad to read there are others. We've been surviving for 23 days now, the creatures are hard to stop, aim for the head, if you sever the brain stem they'll stop coming at you. We're holed up in the Galleria, we have the place locked down tight. Food is ok, but we're running out of fresh water. Fucking zombies....
                            Originally posted by Abuse this
                            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                              In my experience, the older folk like getting out and about early in the day,
                              In my experience, older people like to shop on a Saturday afternoon, standing in the middle of the isle and looking at every single piece of fruit before putting one in the basket. :fuk:
                              I tried being reasonable.
                              I didn't like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X