Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nerd question: iOS / BSD, wifi and ethernet bridge possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerd question: iOS / BSD, wifi and ethernet bridge possible?

Hi nerds

So I have an Apple TV 2 (the blek one with no hard disk) jailbroken and running XBMC. I now have my library of vids etc sitting on a neat little Buffalo NAS box which is connected to the ATV2 with a bit of wire.

That's next to the telly in the loungeroom. Transmission (torrent client) is about to go onto the ATV2 as well, so I can get it direct onto the NAS nice n local.

The internet is on the other side of the (rental) house, with a convenient wifi router in my study.

You know what's coming... I'd really like to be able to get around Apple's wise decision of disabling WiFi when the ethernet is plugged in and use that WiFi connection to bridge my tv stuff to the rest of the LAN back at the router. No IP conflicts and ARP should resolve any bridging difficulties, provided I can work out what the hell to do in the SSH session into the ATV box to set it all up.

Does anyone know of an app / script / workaround that will get this up and running? My google-fu has yielded very limited results and they were for the older ATVs, not sure if they'd work for this one.

Halp?
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

How is the Wifi disabled when the nic is plugged in ?

is it a hardware or software thing ?

Show me what they did on the older ones.

Comment

Apple TV as AccessPoint, Bridge, or Simple Router - howto

Looks like (from the comments) it don't work on the new versions. Also looks like he half had it going but never finished this game.

Don't know if it's hardware or software - don't even know how I'd go about finding out...

I can see this turning into the purchase of an access point with a built in switch for the sake of simplicity.

Sadly, my spare WiFi switch thing is a router which cannot be switched into "STFU and just be a dumb bridge" mode. :pinch:
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

looks like it will be a pain, in the 5 seconds I looked at it, configd seems to turn off the airport on a nic state change (or similar)

Does the command to turn the airport back on work ?

Would be more helpful but I don't have one.

Comment

You're lovely for even giving it a try.

the two executables (airport and networksetup) don't exist any more. Which kinda slows things down a bit...

It's a fucking shame that there's an 802.11n radio in that cute little box that I'm going to have to ignore and instead have another bit of kit, another cable, another wall wart sucking power, another thing to configure and another thing to fail.

Comment

I kept googling and got all excited - someone had asked EXACTLY the same question!!!

owait.

It was this thread that had made it to page one.

Comment

TEASE!

Configured the ATV2 for manual IP on both wired (...30) and wireless (...31).

SSH to wired:
              Code:
              AppleTV:/ root# ifconfig -a  
              lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
                  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
              en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                  inet 10.1.1.31 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.1.255.255
                  ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:cd 
              en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                  ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:cc
              Pull the plug, ssh to the wireless connection:

Code:
              AppleTV:~ root# ifconfig -a
              lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
                  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
              en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                  ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:cd 
              en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                  inet 10.1.1.30 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.1.255.255
                  ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:cc
              So (apparently) both interfaces are active and running, just that only on of them gets an address at a time? Huh???

Comment

weird problem

the ps3 shares 1 mac address between the wireless nic and the wired nic, it does the same thing (i.e. you can't have both), but obviously because you'd have arp issues I guess. i can see you've hashed out your macaddy bar the last 2 octets, and they do indeed seem different, but just confirming when ones up and vice versa, they're not assuming the same mac for some silly reason? (I dont get why the sony people do it anyway, isn't that kinda breaking some unspoken nerd law somewhere?)

you can't do the fancy shit you're trying to do with the NAS instead of with the appleTV? i mean, they're both essentially unix boxes anyway amirite? only steve jobs hasn't wiped his ass with one and called it a revelation.

Comment

Nah, Lee - different MAC addresses for the two interfaces. I can manually assign using ifconfig and it all looks good but just doesn't connect. It's by design. Looking through a few of the config files there's a fair bit being changed when configd discovers a change of pluggedinnedness and these differing configs are only allowing a single spot for the active network connection

The ATV2 is designed to sit between your iTunes and your telly and that's about it. It gives you the option of wireless or wired connection to do that, and conveniently switches between the two automatically depending on whether you plug something in or not.

I'm trying to give it additional duties without a payrise - namely, use both at the same time so it can act as an access point too. But Apple would like me to buy an AirPort to do that instead.

The fancy shit I'm trying to do (transmission etc) works just fine on the ATV2. The only thing that's not working is the WiFi connection which can't be done on the NAS box coz the NAS box don't have a radio on it.

I'm starting to think the only way around this is to fudge configd. I could probably find the darwin source for it and get it going but it's going to take a lot longer than a couple of hours and in all probability will end up in a bricked ATV2.

Fuck it, I'm just going to buy an access point and be done with it.

Comment

or a usb wireless card for your NAS device and make that thing do the bridge stuff instead?

Comment

Funny you should mention that trying to hunt down the two "this may be handy one day" dongles I have in a cupboard somewhere last night.

Comment

I'm having a chuckle, to avoid having to sob...

The NAS box doesn't support STA WLAN usb dongles and I don't want to fuck with the firmware OS now that I've spent three days setting up the RAID and moving everything onto it.

Of all my wireless access points, only one of them supports bridge mode - and without another WDS compatible bridge there it won't play nicely. fffffffff

Comment

I don't know if this is any help but I had a similar issue wanting to put my xbox 360 onto wireless without forking out for the oem wireless card, it turns out you can use a certain wireless switch configure it to work like a wireless card, is there any reason why that wouldn't work with your nas?
                          Last edited by Batten; 31-03-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

That's where I'm at, Batten. Unfortunately the two access point/switches I have here don't seem capable of operating in that client mode.

Fuck it.

Just bought one on eBay, should all be teh happy when it rocks up.

Comment

I assume that the Apple TV doesn't have USB, to try plugging in a USB wifi dongle?
                              '====
                              //`
                              -Magilla
                              They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                              Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Working...
                              X