Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Eee series laptops?

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with the Eee series of Laptops?

I am looking at the Eee PC 1015 PN, it will only be used for travelling ie wireless access in hotels, review & storage of photo's, watching movies etc.

Thanks
    10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

I had one for a while. For what it's purpose is, it was good.
    Don't forget that it won't have a dvd drive, so you will need an external one or something else.
    Originally posted by Desmogod
    Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Brilliant little machines for portable, simple stuff.

My little 701 (bought secondhand from Falcore, who I think bought it secondhand from someone else) has looked after me for a couple of years and only died on me last night. For $200 that's pretty happy times.

Asus have a pretty awesome reputation for reliability too, apparently.
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Asus are bringing out a new Android based EEE , with attachable keyboard and extended battery life. Also includes 3G, GPS, etc etc as well.....

I can't wait until these come out.
        Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

What can you do on these? Has anyone used one for development? Say visual studio/SQL server express

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies.

Hi BlackFZR,

How long away do you think this model will be? What do you mean by Android based?

I am heading to Singapore in the middle of May so was going to buy it from up there.

Cheers
            10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

Android based OS (google Operating System), same as all the HTC/Samsung phones etc. They are supposed to be released in April. Having said that, I've just gone to the ASUS website, and the new EEe T91MT sounds even better.....

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee - ASUS Eee PC T91MT
              Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

I have the original 701 as the basis for my carpc ... awesome little unit, has never missed a beat
                Originally posted by polonY
                Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

I bought a 1001px for travelling in Europe, pretty much just for a photo dump, bit of browsing and skype - worked just fine.

It struggled playing any HD video with VLC though.
                  So if you're going to load it up with content, make sure it is lower quality.

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
                    What can you do on these? Has anyone used one for development? Say visual studio/SQL server express
                    Yup...used Visual Studio on mine. Well, not a EEE PC, but an Acer Aspire One. Very similar hardware. Naturally, compiling/linking is way slower than a real PC. The other major issue is the tiny screen. That can be overcome by just plugging in a monitor. If you use it as your main development machine you WILL cry. If its to be used on the road kinda thing or the odd occasion, its passable.

Comment

I run OS/X on an MSI Wind U100 and I develop on it (XCode and/or Eclipse/Java) if I have to when I'm on the road.

It sucks dogs balls when 50% of the time you spend typing a line is waiting for the autocomplete to complete.

Blender3D is a giggle, but pretty much unusable.

Photoshop just laughs at you and refuses to install.

Cannot recommend developing on a brain dead box, you'll throw it against a wall in no time.
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I've run VS2008 and SQL Server 2005 on my old Eee 1000H. I did have 2gb of RAM.
                        Not the best dev machine but hooked up to a keyboard mouse and 24" monitor it was passable.
                        If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Working...
                        X