Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove scratches on CAMERA LENSE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove scratches on CAMERA LENSE.

HI all, long time reader seldom writer here.

I was wondering if anyone here who has removed scratches from photo lenses.

As you can see in the photo they are quite a nasty scratch and gives me blur spot on right in the middle of frame.

any constructive advice and tips will be appreciated.

Thank you.

JoeyClick image for larger version

Name:	scratch2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	4925104Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	4925105

I think that lens is pretty much beyond repair. You could try taking it to a jeweler and see if he can polish it out, but then the lens will be the wrong shape.
    How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

Abe Lincoln

Comment

That's the reason i keep a uv filter on mine just in case. As said i think you're out of luck but you never know have you tried ringing round a couple of the camera stores to see if they know anyone?
      Originally posted by CBRsairz
      assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Lens is fucked - even if you re-ground it to remove the spot in the image there'll be a geometric distortion from the lens's new shape, plus the fact you'll now have polished/ground away the 2-7 different coatings that sit on the glass meaning chromatic aberrations and issues with glare spots etc.

Hint: shoot with a wider aperture (ie number < f/8.0) and that blurry spot will get better or even disappear.

Haha:
        Originally posted by Macca View Post
        That's the reason i keep a uv filter on mine just in case
        It's the reason I don't use my lenses as knee sliders just in case - how the hell did you get the glass that deeply gouged anyway???
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Call these guys Camera Electronic Service Company Pty Ltd - Perth Western Australia if they can't repair it then they will know who can.

Depending on how deep the scratch is they may be able to polish it out, fill it with a polymer and polish it or most likely just replace the element of the lens that is scratched.
          spudda : Got mine in my hot little hands today barfy. Your a gem!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            Lens is fucked - even if you re-ground it to remove the spot in the image there'll be a geometric distortion from the lens's new shape, plus the fact you'll now have polished/ground away the 2-7 different coatings that sit on the glass meaning chromatic aberrations and issues with glare spots etc.

Hint: shoot with a wider aperture (ie number < f/8.0) and that blurry spot will get better or even disappear.

Haha:

It's the reason I don't use my lenses as knee sliders just in case - how the hell did you get the glass that deeply gouged anyway???
            haha yeah I inherited few lenses from work professional photographer. I think earth fell on to the glass. beats me.

I think wood pecker landed and tied to build a house.

thanks you guys

cheers
            JOey

Comment

you can sometimes get parts of a lens off ebay. worth a try to see if you can get that part of the lens and then find someone to fix it for you (or have a go yourself)
              Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
              Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Working...
              X