Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile reception at Murrin Murrin

Hi all

I start a new job at the Murrin Murrin nickel processing plant next week.
    I've been told that there is only Telstra mobile coverage at the camp there. Can anyone confirm this?
    I went to get a Telstra pre paid sim for my unlocked phone, but the guy said that as it wasn't purchased as a Telstra phone it won't have the adjusted chipset to receive their 3G coverage - so even with their sim I wouldn't get reception??
    I have a Nokia 6120 on the 3 network and under the signal bar it says '3G', so I assumed it would be fine unless Telstra uses a different frequency

Any thoughts peoples?

p.s. Why does everyone who has been there laugh when I tell them where I'll be working? What have I got myself into?!

It's a dedicated mining installation 3 does not roam onto these systems. You will only get reception on telstra (the thieving pricks)
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Cheers for that.
      If there was a choice for me Telstra wouldn't make the list, but looks like they've got that market sewn up.

Do you still work up there?

Comment

Yeah same problem where I work - on Barrow Island, I had a 3G phone, but no good, had to change back to the evil empire to get signal. But here for 4 weeks at a stretch, so what can you do?

Comment

I work up there at the moment. Im a EI Tech in the refinery. Telstra Next G is the only coverage you can get. Any unlocked 3G phone will work up there as long as you have a telstra next G sim in it. I just use a second phone and divert my number or you can just swap out your sims. There are several people from Murrin on here. What job have you got.
          scott
          Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
            . Any unlocked 3G phone will work up there as long as you have a telstra next G sim in it.
            Not true.

The phone needs to support 3G on the 850MHz band, which conveniently the OP's 6210 does.

SheepBotherer; The Telstra guy was kinda full of it. As I said, your phone needs to be 3G/UMTS/HSDPA 850. Which yours is. So a Telstra SIM will allow you to get Next G just fine.

Telstra isn't so bad with value these days. I got back onto the network recently as I needed it for my new job and their caps aren't too bad compared to the others, especially when you consider the coverage difference and the reliability of the network in Perth itself.

Originally posted by SheepBotherer View Post
            I have a Nokia 6120 on the 3 network and under the signal bar it says '3G', so I assumed it would be fine unless Telstra uses a different frequency
            Telstra actually do use a different frequency

850MHz for Next G.
            Three share ownership of a 2100MHz network with Telstra, which is only available in metro areas. This is known as the 3GIS network.

Then Optus use 2100MHz in metro areas, and 900MHz in regional areas... As do Vodafone, with the added complication of Vodafone rolling out 850MHz sites in the metro areas for added capacity.

Think thats confusing? Thats only 3G Add in the 2G networks for good measure, and the upcoming spectrum auction for LTE and it starts to get a bit more complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
              What job have you got.
              scott
              Hey Scott
              Got a Traineeship as a Process Operator. 8 & 6 roster, flying up on Wed. If you're on a similar roster PM me your number if you want and we can enjoy a beverage in one of the many fine drinking establishments that Murrin has to offer...

Originally posted by padfoot View Post
              The Telstra guy was kinda full of it.
              Telstra actually do use a different frequency 850MHz for Next G. Three share ownership of a 2100MHz network with Telstra, which is only available in metro areas. This is known as the 3GIS network.
              Then Optus use 2100MHz in metro areas, and 900MHz in regional areas... As do Vodafone, with the added complication of Vodafone rolling out 850MHz sites in the metro areas for added capacity.

Think thats confusing? Thats only 3G Add in the 2G networks for good measure, and the upcoming spectrum auction for LTE and it starts to get a bit more complex.
              Thanks padfoot.
              I'll probably end up switching to Telstra, but if I can just get a prepaid sim for now that's cool.
              Yes, very complicated. Just another case of the big players making it as confusing for Johny Customer as possible.

Brad

Comment

If vodaphone put towers up in remote locations with the infrastructure required they wouldn't let others in easily either. Keep in mind these places are in the middle of nowhere

Comment

There is a little more to it than just being as confusing as possible, it has to do with available spectrum each carrier has and what they choose to do with it

Telstra aren't that confusing... Basically you need an 850MHz capable phone to work on Next G, and you're sweet. Any other frequency will only matter on another network or another country.

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
                  If vodaphone put towers up in remote locations with the infrastructure required they wouldn't let others in easily either. Keep in mind these places are in the middle of nowhere
                  Yup. ROI on coverage in the middle of nowhere is quite small.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwon View Post
                    Understood. I know a lot of sites don't have any coverage at all, so I'm lucky in that respect.
                    I guess I really meant it's important to research these things today with all the different technology being used. You never know which one is going to be the best. I only have one choice, so problem solved
                    Thanks to all.

Brad

Comment

Before nextG most telstra dealers would try and sell you CDMA phones because it was remote area with no real knowledge of what is there. I have seen heaps of people turn up with them

Comment

enjoy a beverage in one of the many fine drinking establishments that Murrin has to offer...

The nickel burner tavern is the only drinking establishment, and a mighty fine one it is.
                        I did 3 years up there as an E/I tech in Ore leach, great place to get some experience......then move on.

Comment

Working...
                        X