Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with random booting please.

Hey guys,

Here's the dealio. Bought a new comp...well parts.....

Gigabyte mobo (the new B3 steping base UD3 model)
    2500k intel sandybridge cpu.
    gskills 8 gig ram designed for the cpu
    all the other fiddly bits (case, hardrive etc)

Built it with a competent mate and before we even loaded and installed windows, we tried restarting it from the post screen and it would start turning it self off, starting up, and turning off over and over.

Now i took the mobo back to netplus who tested it and have said its fine, they loaded windows and it was all good. Now i have to pay the $35 to get it back but i'm worried they havn't tested for the same problem i had.

figure i'll pay for it, and test other things like the ram and cpu...but just wondering if to push with netplus on their testing methods...dont want to pay the money for no reason...

Also i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem/know what else could be causeing this issue if not the mobo?

Cheers

dude, it could be ANYTHING. Could be the switch in the case, an overheating issue, ram problems, gfx card problems etc etc.

Do yourself a favour, and do a trial by elimination.
    Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Was just thinking the restarting was a problem looked over because even i could have installed 7 with out hitting the restart button

Comment

Like Ferris said, you've got to eliminate what is not causing the problem. Start with just mobo, cpu and a single stick of ram (if mobo has onboard graphics to plug monitor in to). See if it will boot then. If not, try a different stick of ram. Keep adding components until you work out what's causing it.

Another potential issue is the power supply.
        "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

Comment

I had random rebooting on my laptop, ran the RAM chip test program overnight, no errors found, replaced the RAM anyway and it hasn'e rebooted for two years.
          -

Comment

the error only happens when you press the restart button. meh, over this, il test it with the mate in the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Humma. View Post
              Built it with a competent mate and before we even loaded and installed windows, we tried restarting it from the post screen and it would start turning it self off, starting up, and turning off over and over.

Now i took the mobo back to netplus who tested it and have said its fine, they loaded windows and it was all good.
              it cannot be that unstable if they have managed to install an OS on it

Also i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem/know what else could be causeing this issue if not the mobo?
              yes- your system is unstable and crashes

it can be anything from your bios setup to hardware matching, the quality of your PS and the suitability of your PS to juice your particular hardware config

computers dont do random, if the system runs (especially long enough to take an OS) then everything it needs to run is working. its just not stable.

btw: you make no mention of your PS, a lot of amateur builders don't put enough value on the importance of PS quality to stability especially if you are building a high end machine with big ram.

sorry i reread your posts: the problem is only associated with the reset button? (i thought that was a joke ie: it only restarts when i press reset) :p

if it is fine from a cold boot but not after a reset, then maybe your config doesnt like being reset. its not that big a deal is it? de energise completely when shutting down, and count to 10 before restarting.
              Last edited by g0zer; 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM.
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Corsair tx650 psu...only a year old and was cleaned before we installed....going to eliminate that next and then the CPU as the mate i'm buuilding with is buying the same chip. I understand there is no clear cut answer but cheers for the suggestions guys.

Comment

Hey mate, built and killed a few PCs in my time.

What has been suggested b4 is the way to go.

First thing.
                  Connect Power, Mobo, CPU, vid card, 1 stick of RAM, 1 HDD, Screen and Keyboard. Test.
                  Same prob? Try different RAM stick. Repeat until all have been tested (ensure you put it in the first RAM Slot as dictated by the MOBO)
                  Next, Replace Power, anything will do. Grab an old one from a friend.
                  Also try and use a HDD with a Windows on it already from a friend and swap that around during testing.

Always found RAM to be the culprit. Also check BIOS settings for RAM, might need to run at a different speed there if its fancy RAM.
                  Also in rare cases I've had to slightly overclock the BIOS for a stable system when building my own systems. But only do that if u can google similar issues on your particular mobo.

Comment

Working...
                  X