Cookery Corner - bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookery Corner - bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast

Basil pesto is currently my favourite thing in the universe. Traditionally it's made from from basil, pine nuts, olive oil, with option extras like cashews and pecorino cheese. This recipe used that as a flavour base to infuse into chicken breast, with a few other tweaks.

It's also wrapped in bacon, because everything is improved with bacon, and it also helps to stop the chicken from drying out.

Ingredients (makes 2 large portions)
    2 x chicken breasts (approx 700g)
    6 x large slices of thick cut rib bacon

garlic
    ginger
    wholegrain mustard
    basil pesto
    fresh basil
    pine nuts

Method
    Roughly crush up the pine nuts using the flat of a knife
    Chop the basil

Combine these 2 ingredients with the mustard, ginger, garlic and pesto

Lay down a couple of strips of bacon, place chicken breast on top.
    Butterfly the breast (ie. slice a flap in it, this is where the stuffing you've just made will sit), and then spoon on the herb mix.

Wrap the whole thing in bacon, then secure with toothpicks.

Cooking
    Standard oven - approx 60 minutes @ 180 degrees C

I'm actually smoking mine under a hooded BBQ @ 100 degrees for approx 3-4 hours, adding hickory chunks every hour or so, for extra depth of flavour.

What I really like about this is the prep time is quite short, 10-15 minutes max, the taste is amazing. And it's not even stupidly unhealthy, there is a little fat in the pesto, the chicken is quite lean and most of the fat in the bacon should render out with the slow cooking.

I'll add photos of the finished product when it's done
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

I do something similer with mango
    bacon, it goes with everything
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Almost too beautiful to eat, but somehow I managed to struggle through it. And then rewarded myself with a scotch after doing the dishes
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I feel a Barfridge cooking thread happening here

Comment

So in the very same recipe that contains bacon you freely admit that Basil Pesto is your favorite thing in the universe.

You've changed man.
          My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I'm like the cookie monster, he went into rehab and once he came out he declared that cookies are a sometimes food. Well I'm a bit like that with bacon these days, I still love it, but I have to make sure it still loves me.

Comment

I'm going to make that, it looks delicious.

Comment

Do a similar dish where I add a bit of feta and mushrooms (sans the whole grain mustard) to the stuffing mix then over bake at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the juices run clear.

Comment

Want.
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

I have all of a sudden become very very hungry. Looks delicious! Good Work!

Comment

When my taste buds start working again, I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
                      such comment
                      wow
                      many post

Comment

More basil... seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
                          More basil... seriously
                          Meh.
                          Last edited by SpeedTrip; 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTrip View Post
                            Get Fucked you low life piece of scum dirt.
                            Chicken and basil work fine.
                            With fresh basil, you need more, especially if you include bacon
                            You need more of that volitile high notes in the flavours, just looking at the illustrated proportions...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Pshhhh , no offence taken...
                              ... altho, WTF was going on with that?

Oh well, back on topic. Pesto = much love, and freshly made is double awesome. And the chicken is looking seriously tasty. BTW, nice looking BBQ grill there Jeff, what is it?

With a kitchen renovation in progress the kamado bbq is the sole cooking implement, but doubles nicely as an oven. This is probably common knowledge to many, but I staggered onto the perfect steak/roast jus/sauce last night: peel some small sweet onions, in a heavy pot with true balsamic vinegar, honey, red wine, black pepper - simmer in oven/bbq til onions soft and liquid reduced a little. Foolproof! Some veg and restaurant quality jus in one easy step

Jeff, perhaps rename thread to just Cookery Corner and encourage anyone with a personal culinary success to share?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Skut; 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X