Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern inventions that can change the world

Hi all,

Beginning with the wheel, man has come up with many inventions such as paper, refrigeration, light bulbs etc that have dramatically changed the way humans live in this world.

What are some of the inventions/technology you have come across that you believe have the potential to do likewise?

Nano-batteries
    Beyond Nano Breakthrough, MIT Team Quietly Builds Virus-Based Batteries - Popular Mechanics

This looks like it can greatly improve the energy density and battery life on current portable energy devices. This was in 2008, not sure what the latest update is since then?

On a less complex subject matter: waterless urinal systems. Plenty of water savings from a simple trap system. WIN-WIN all round.

I would think these are more adaptations of a previous invention, and not like the wheel or the lightbulb themselves. Really don't see that a new battery or urinal will do anywhere near as much as the originals at all.

I'd say the last modern invention to change the world that we have seen so far would be the internet, but beyond that, I can't think of anything that will have an effect as great as that.

No doubt something will come along and do just that, but I wouldnt have a new battery or urinal up there.

Comment

Liquid glass.

http://www.physorg.com/news184310039.html
      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by PBF View Post
        No doubt something will come along and do just that, but I wouldnt have a new battery or urinal up there.
        Yeah, the wheel is hard to beat....

This fireproof coating I seen a few years ago on tv has potential though....

Scroll to 4:30 if you don't wanna go through the whole thing.
        Last edited by uomouse; 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Cable ties, how did we get anything done before they were invented
          It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Non- Newtonian fluids, simply because it gives us a chance to be smarter than our children...

Comment

Originally posted by PBF View Post
              I'd say the last modern invention to change the world that we have seen so far would be the internet, but beyond that, I can't think of anything that will have an effect as great as that.
              this.

Comment

Originally posted by uomouse View Post
                Yeah, the wheel is hard to beat....
                Personally I think the the axel was more important.
                My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

As a teenager in the sixties, I'd have to say reliable contraception was a godsend, you young un's don't know you're born.
                  The old rhythm method had lots of drawbacks--literally

Comment

In my opinion:
                    The most significant discovery of the modern age is the elucidation of the DNA double helix by Watson and Crick.

The most significant invention of the modern age is the PCR which allows us to study DNA. The impact this has had on everyday life is so underated. The impact it has had on the research, diagnosis and potential cure of many diseases is unparalleled.

Comment

Check out this site, TED: Ideas worth spreading
                      Some amazing things on here.

These are just afew that i thought looked cool:

Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world | Video on TED.com

Michael Pritchard's water filter turns filthy water drinkable | Video on TED.com

Worth watching some of these videos.
                      Last edited by Tic; 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM.
                      A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

the scanning tunneling electron microscope

CENS (Center for Nanotechnology) written in perylene-3,4,9,10-tetracarboxylic-3,4,9,10-dianhydride molecules on graphite

scanning tunnelling microscopy is what makes it possible to resolve the atomic scale, and made nanotech/atomic scale manufacture possible.

Its development in 1981 earned its inventors, Gerd Binnig and Heinrich Rohrer (at IBM Z├╝rich), the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1986
                        Scanning tunneling microscope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Last edited by g0zer; 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM.
                        Originally posted by Bendito
                        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

TED is amazing. This here. It's only ~8 minutes long!
                          BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

Duct tape.
                            Oh and +1 for cable ties..

S.
                            Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

I put that stuff on the shower screens and pool fence... makes for really easy cleaning!

Comment

Working...
                              X