Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marine Electronics, anyone know anything or are involved??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Electronics, anyone know anything or are involved??

I have pissed the phone biz off and have had serious thoughts about persuing gettting involved in marine electronics.
    I know a little of the 240v side , but have no qualifications that will allow me to terminate legally. [it's ONLY 3 wires right?? ]

I am 'reasonably' knowledgeable in comms, Solar and 12/24 systems, but I really have no real idea where to start actually looking for work , especially as I have no experience per say.

Secondly , can any involvement in this part of the industry lead to any industrial, petroleum/gas opportunities?

I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has actually worked in the industry , and what the good and bad points bits you have to deal with?
    Also would any 'tickets' of any sort be helpful in getting a foot in the door as well??

Cheerzz.
    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

I haven't worked in the industry - but I've been on the other side paying the bills - the word 'marine' in your company name seems to be a license to charge triple. Check out some of the companies down at the Australian Maritime Complex (in Henderson) and I'm sure you will find a few leads there.

Comment

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
      the word 'marine' in your company name seems to be a license to charge triple
      BOAT, Bring On Another Thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
        BOAT, Bring On Another Thousand.
        one of the guys I work with at the moment was involved with a small fabrication firm who were asked to provide a quote to build the water tanks for Greg Norman's boat.
        They were too busy at the time and sat down and wrote out a quote going 'lets just price this stupidly high so that they don't even consider it'. (roughly 4-5 times what they would normally charge)

They were called the next day and asked to start work straightaway once the purchase order came through. I'm in the wrong industry.

Comment

Thanks so far gents! It does seem that 'marine' has this mysterious aura about it, which kind of tempted me to have a look at what is involved.
          I have applied for work in Darwin so far , and have been told that Qld is screaming for marine sparkys, especially in Cairns. I am hoping that dealing with 1 million dollar boats may not have as many wankers in it as mobile phones , but i think i am gunna be sadly disappointed. Thing is that I will hopefully be able to charge someone accordingly to put up with their shit...
          Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

If you're talking about 240v, do you mean electronics or electrics?
            Originally Posted by Maxo
            do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
            to Butters

Comment

Sorry Gixxerguy, I can do basic 240v fits , but am not licensed to terminate legally. [not a qualified Sparky]. I am experienced in small voltage and 12/24v applications, and am interested in getting into any field of electrics or electronics, depending on what is required.
              I have repaired comms gear , gps ect , but am primarily interested in getting off the bench and spending time in 'the field' so to speak.

Can do Solar, Rf,HF, general fitups, track and trace ect. , but I really have no idea what anyone wants! hence I thought I would throw it up here and get a bit of a heads up as to what is required , and if I need to go back to skoool and do get a few more qualys ect!

I would be keen for any direction that someone could throw my way! Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X