Repairing headphone jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing headphone jack

So I have a pair of etymotics ER6's, which the headphone jack has died on. I've tried the call around and have had no luck finding someone to solder a new jack on, and theres no way I'd have the skill myself, the wires are tiny. Is there anyone on PSB that has good skills that could do it? Iif you stuff it up, it doesnt matter, its already broke. Willing to pay in cash or beer.

Alternatively, anyone found a place that will do it for a reasonable price? Don't really want to spend $50+ on the headphones when i could buy new ones for $100 or so.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Give it a go yourself, it's pretty easy. I repaired mine not so long ago (ER6's as well) and I'm no ace at soldering. Bought a new 3.5mm jack from Jaycar for a few dollars. The wires are like fine hairs but they are tough; just remember to connect the left and right channels correctly. There is plenty of cable so you can have a few go's at it if you need to. There are also a few tutorials floating around the internet.
    Rushing to relax.

Comment

I don't even have a soldering iron. Feel like doing mine for beer? Haha
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Are you any good at fixing loose wiring from the head phone end?

Comment

I'm doing mine this weekend ... if its only a 3.5mm jack plug its easy one to do.

Comment

I have to do my kids all the time. Buy one of those gas soldering iron kits for $40 and a new plug from that electronics place I can't remember the name of near that night club in the city I can't remember the name of and solder away. Its a piece of piss if you have steady hands, wear two pairs of reading glasses if you don't see so good.
            -

Comment

I've dione the headphone end pleny of times too. Sometimes I just cut a piece out and solder the wires back together and tape because its inside the headphone cavity.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Farquaad View Post
                I don't even have a soldering iron. Feel like doing mine for beer? Haha
                You have zero man skills, don't you.

Comment

It is pretty easy, if you don't find anyone I can do it for you. It will be a weak point though so you will need to be careful with the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                    You have zero man skills, don't you.
                    Hardly. I can rebuild an engine, build some shit out of wood, fix some sprinklers, you get the picture. Just not soldering.

Comment

-

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Farquaad View Post
                        Hardly. I can rebuild an engine, build some shit out of wood, fix some sprinklers, you get the picture. Just not soldering.
                        I know what you mean, soldering is the one job I always let my Dad do. Don't know why, like you I do all my own mech work, landscaping, building, whatever, just not soldering haha

Hey I just realised I need to change my avatar yay!!

Comment

If you want to solder two things together make sure you put solder separately on each part first then put them together and just touch with the soldering iron. Less is more.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                            I have to do my kids all the time. Buy one of those gas soldering iron kits for $40 and a new plug from that electronics place I can't remember the name of near that night club in the city I can't remember the name of and solder away. Its a piece of piss if you have steady hands, wear two pairs of reading glasses if you don't see so good.
                            That would be altronics, much better than jaycar from my personal experience

Comment

Holy crap such a long thread for a simple solder job. If it's not done yet pm me and i'll do it for with the Transmig LOL :-) only kidding.......

But pm me if still needs doin dude.

Sent from mobile device.

Comment

Working...
                              X