Which Windows version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Windows version?

Getting a new iMac in a few weeks and am going to boot camp it and stick Windows on it for the few things I need it for (an RC flight sim, maybe a game or two, but that's it).
    Should I just go with XP, or should I look at Windows 7?
    I suspect there are benefits with going the latter.
    Will just the home edition be enough? I don't want to go shelling out money on an OS I wish I didn't need as it is but the fact remains I'll still need to use it now and then.

I've been a big fan of XP for a long time, but windows 7 is growing on me more and more (Except the windows explorer search function, that still shits me to tears). Home edition does not have Media Centre so any streaming to Xbox's or the like may have issues. Where premium has Media Centre and also a Virtual Shell that can run XP/98, for those really old school programs. Not too sure how that runs from a Mac. Hopefully someone else can provide more info.

This site here is pretty helpfull.
    From Starter to Ultimate: What's really in each Windows 7 Edition? | ZDNet
    :stupid:

Comment

I run xp pro on my imac Jim with Fusion Virtual machine
      Originally posted by Abuse this
      Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Still using XP on my macbook with bootcamp, runs great and doesn't take up too much disk space. Have also been using a free emulator program called 'Darwine' to run a few simple windows based programs when operating in Mac mode.
        Giggity.

Comment

Unless XP doesn't support (drivers) something on the iMac or a bit of software you want to use won't run on XP, I'd just throw a copy of that on there.

Switched over to Win7 at work last week and, well, just NO.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I agree with Wedge - I was a true XP fan but Win 7 definitely grows on you after a while. I have Premium too which seems to be better for all things Media.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              Unless XP doesn't support (drivers) something on the iMac or a bit of software you want to use won't run on XP, I'd just throw a copy of that on there.

Switched over to Win7 at work last week and, well, just NO.
              That's what everybody said about XP when it first came out. They all hung on to the last thread of life in 98se. 7 is mature and stable. The only issues I've experienced is attempting to get office 2010, exchange server 03 and 7 to play nicely. If however the client realised their server also requires upgrading, it wouldn't be a problem.

Cmon brofishyo, get with the times.
              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
              Its the little things that make the difference
              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Oh, bitch, I am so with the times. When I get paid to deal with Windows I deal with it without whining. When I get paid to deal with Linux I deal with it without whining. Otherwise I rock a sweet variant of BSD with a solid, smooth and intuitive front end.

Jim - no need to answer in case of brasandfridgepiratevaginitis, but are you going to bother paying for it if it's only for occasional use? As an end of life product, XP is (morally) kinda less outrageous for STEALING yarrrrrrrgh.
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

windows 7 for sure either pro or ultimate,ultimate's got a couple of extra's i dont need but it was a cheap upgrade on a new laptop.

pro runs everything seamlessly,and for me as a comp no nothing its great.

i had windows 7 home for a while and that was great but needed pro to run work programs.

hey brofish! ya showing signs of getting old if you dont change with the times

[good coming from me huh?]

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                    Jim - no need to answer in case of brasandfridgepiratevaginitis, but are you going to bother paying for it if it's only for occasional use? As an end of life product, XP is (morally) kinda less outrageous for STEALING yarrrrrrrgh.
                    For Win 7 I would pay, XP isn't much for a licence either.
                    Piracy isn't theft

Comment

Hee hee: a bite!

Comment

Definitely Windows 7. It's 50% lighter than Vista which used to suck out so much physical memory till my laptop couldn't handle it.

Comment

Is it still the case that if I buy some hardware, I'm eligible for the OEM version?

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                            Is it still the case that if I buy some hardware, I'm eligible for the OEM version?
                            well you can certainly buy it OEM, think it was $180ish from PLE. I have no idea how the licensing works though.

the bootcamp assistant does suggest against using an OEM or an upgrade version and that you need a full version - but i got no idea if they are just trying to cover themselves or if it actually wont work properly.

Comment

win7 is heaps better than XP to use. i don't have a better reason than a mac lover gay shitty almost religious excuse but it's just a nicer place to be/work/use. doesn't hog more resources, search IS better, heaps less desktop clutter required. few stupid things still, and the "are you sure you want to do that" can get a bit annoying until you've sorted out all your security prefs for applications but once you get it sorted it's pretty nifty.

Comment

Working...
                              X