Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Etymotic HF2/3/5 - suitable for bike use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etymotic HF2/3/5 - suitable for bike use?

Couldn't really find an answer with a search.

My venerable ER6 have died. HF5 look the goods from a SQ point of view, but they do look a little longer than the outgoing ER6. Has anyone used these on the bike? Any feedback on fit?

Muchas gracias.
    Insert witty comment here

HF2's were great with my iPhone 3g, good isolation and detail etc (although not great bass un-eq'd).. then I got an iPhone 4. Now they suck.

Whenever there is a decent amount of wind noise coming in the mic hanging off the right ear cord (over 60km/h) the phone randomly flicks to full volume and back. This makes them pretty much unusable on my bike now, even when I wrap the mic behind my ear in my helmet it still occasionally happens (and that means I lose the ability to answer phone calls by pressing the button next to the mic and so not have to take my helmet off).

If you don't use them with an iPhone 4 they could well be ok.. dont know what the 3's and 5's are like.

Oh and something with noise isolating cords would be cool.. they can be a little noisy walking down the street

Comment

/facepalm. Forgot you just picked some up. We'll talk.

Comment

I have some MC3s which I prefer to my ER-4Ps for riding because they don't protrude as much.

No issues with the volume as above... I have used a Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, iPod Shuffle and an iPod Nano... They feel pretty much like my old ER-6i's in terms of fit and sound (from memory, its been a while since I had my ER-6i's.)

A good replacement for ER-6i headphones IMO.

Not what you asked exactly, but hope it helped!

Edit: I originally replied as I forgot the model I had... I thought they were HF2, and I worded my response as that... After posting I realised they were MC3s... It gets so confusing, especially when you own multiple pairs :/
        Anyway MC3s (and I assume the MC5 since they are basically the same) get the thumbs up from me, especially at the price, as an ER-6i replacement.
        Last edited by padfoot; 27-04-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Cheers. Sounds like both of you are not having any troubles fitting them under the helmet, which is the main thing (yeah, ER4s look like they're hit and miss, and I've got some Ultimate Ears I can't use on the bike because the over-the-ear cable gets bent).

I'm after HF5 (the plain Jane headphones), so no dramas about mics and cables.

Apparently I can mail Etymotics my busted ER6 and get a discount on HF5 ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
            ER4s look like they're hit and miss,
            They fit, but not as well as I'd hope.
            They protrude more than the ER-6i, put it that way. I love them though, and use them for non bike applications nowadays.

Apparently I have too many sets of headphones now according to the ladyfriend and must stop buying them. Especially when they can cost a couple of hunge each. :/

Comment

If I were you, I would definitely stay away from Etymotic if you just wanna use it while riding your bikes. The Etymotic earplugs are longer than normal earphones, which makes it harder for me to fit them into your helmet. Just get a cheap Sennheiser CX200.

Comment

Originally posted by jjleo View Post
                which makes it harder for me to fit them into your helmet.
                Can he fit them himself, or are you required every time?

Comment

Oops, typo!

Comment

Kinky...

The senns don't isolate anywhere near as well as the etys. Isolation from ety is basically second to none. I've got no problems with getting the tips into my ears, so if Padfoot and Garett reckon it can be used in helmet, that's good enough for me.

Padfoot, ER4 still significantly better than HF series?

Comment

For riding, nope.

Comment

Ja, but for general listening? I use my canalphones at work. Amped. Yes, I'm an audiophilery nerd as well.

Comment

bump, looking at the HF5's now, has anyone got an update on how htey go?
                          Originally posted by Rocket
                          Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by Garett View Post
                            HF2's were great with my iPhone 3g, good isolation and detail etc (although not great bass un-eq'd).. then I got an iPhone 4. Now they suck.

Whenever there is a decent amount of wind noise coming in the mic hanging off the right ear cord (over 60km/h) the phone randomly flicks to full volume and back. This makes them pretty much unusable on my bike now, even when I wrap the mic behind my ear in my helmet it still occasionally happens (and that means I lose the ability to answer phone calls by pressing the button next to the mic and so not have to take my helmet off).

If you don't use them with an iPhone 4 they could well be ok.. dont know what the 3's and 5's are like.

Oh and something with noise isolating cords would be cool.. they can be a little noisy walking down the street
                            I have the same problem
                            sent them back to etymotic under warranty but still no fix
                            Originally posted by Lefty
                            Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

Working...
                            X