Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R18+ games....I can see them in the distance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R18+ games....I can see them in the distance!

South Australia to introduce R18+ for games - News at GameSpot

UPDATE: South Australian Attorney-General John Rau says state will have adult rating for games regardless of unanimous SCAG decision in July; state to abolish MA15+ category.

South Australian Attorney-General John Rau has taken the R18+ for games issue into his own hands today, declaring that his state will introduce the adult rating regardless of the decision made by other states and territories at the upcoming Standing Committee of Attorneys-General (SCAG) meeting in July.

Currently, the introduction of the R18+ classification requires the unanimous agreement of all federal, state, and territory ministers. However, in March this year, Federal Minister for Home Affairs Brendan O'Connor told GameSpot AU that the federal government would be considering "other options" should the R18+ issue not reach a unanimous "yes" vote come July. O'Connor hinted at the possibility that each state and territory could adopt different arrangements should consensus not be reached.

South Australian Attorney-General John Rau.

This is exactly what South Australia has now done. According to Rau, the South Australian cabinet endorsed his proposal to introduce the R18+ classification for video games in the state, and at the same time, phase out the MA15+ category.

"I've been consulting very broadly on this [issue] for a year now," Rau told GameSpot AU today. "I've been listening to parents and gaming advocates, and I have come to the conclusion that both points of view are legitimate and need to be accommodated. Recent moves by the federal government suggests that there will be an R18+ classification for video games in some form after the July [SCAG] meeting."
    Rau believes that the federal government has the capacity to go ahead with introducing R18+ for games without the unanimous agreement of other state and territories, something that he believes will happen, at least at a federal level, if unanimous agreement is not reached in July. If this happens, Rau says it will be up to each state to either adopt or reject an R18+ classification for games.

"Of course, it would be ideal to have a uniform national scheme. That's why we need to wait now to see how the federal arrangements will shake out. If there is a national opportunity to embrace R18+, South Australia will do it with the quid pro quo that MA15+ is eliminated as a classification and all games that are now rated MA15+ will be made R18+. This is what I want to happen in South Australia.
    "We do this [different legislation in different states] with film now--the ACT and NT have different legislation when it comes to X-rated films compared to the rest of the country. This already exists and the sky hasn't fallen in. I don't think that it will be a problem if South Australia has a slightly different regime in respect to games than the rest of the nation."

The reason why Rau wants to abolish the MA15+ classification for video games in South Australia is because he believes that there should be a clear gap between content that is for children, and content that is for adults. He says the view that film classification can be applied directly to video games is wrong; firstly because films are not interactive, and secondly because while the idea of parental supervision in relation to film is justifiable, it is "ludicrous" when applied to video games.

"It is also important to note that there are some games that are rated MA15+ in Australia which are rated R18+ in other countries. At the moment there is an unbroken continuum from G to PG to M to MA15+ which includes some pretty violent games. What we want to do is make sure there is a clear gap between material for adult and material for children and empower responsible parents by making sure game classifications are helpful. No adult would be any worse off [with the abolition of MA15+ for games]; in fact, adults would be better off because there would be more games available in the R18+ category."

While Rau thinks that it is inevitable that R18+ for games will be brought out in either late this year or early next year on some level in Australia, his focus has now turned inward: the support of his cabinet means that what was once just Rau's opinion is now South Australia's opinion.

"The next step [for me] will depend on what happens in SCAG in July. Certainly, in order to implement R18+ for games here in South Australia there will need to be some regulation or possible statutory amendments made, but I don't think it will be hard to do this. We just have to wait until the federal position becomes clear."

UPDATE: John Rau's office has contacted GameSpot AU to expand on the Minister's comments. A spokesperson now says South Australia will definitely introduce R18+ in the state if the federal government first passes the adult rating at a national level. This will happen regardless of whether other state and territory attorneys-general reach a unanimous decision on the issue at July’s SCAG meeting.

GameSpot AU will be reporting live from the SCAG meeting in July. For more on the issue, visit our previous coverage.
    Free android puzzle game
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

I'm all for an R18+ rating for games... but why get rid of the existing MA15+ rating as well?
    "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

Comment

Because there isn't really any difference between MA and M, all the MA rating does is allow some games that are R18 in other countries to be bought by 15 year olds in Australia (We do get some R18+ games, they aren't all banned, but we label them MA 15+).
      Originally Posted by Maxo
      do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
      to Butters

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxerguy View Post
        Because there isn't really any difference between MA and M, all the MA rating does is allow some games that are R18 in other countries to be bought by 15 year olds in Australia (We do get some R18+ games, they aren't all banned, but we label them MA 15+).
        But they get the R rated parts taken out of them :/
        Free android puzzle game

Comment

At least this guy isn't as big a fuddy-duddy as Atkinson, but to get rid of MA15+ is idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by SBD View Post
            At least this guy isn't as big a fuddy-duddy as Atkinson, but to get rid of MA15+ is idiotic.
            Censorship in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The M rating is recommended for mature but moderately young audiences, around the teen years. Language is relatively free, but "aggressive or strong coarse language" should be infrequent, and sexual innuendo is freely thrown around and sex may be mildly implied, and there is slightly more violence present. Sexual violence is not allowed. Drug use can be depicted in context. This was formerly known as "M15+", but was changed to M to be consistent with film ratings. This rating is not restricted.
            The "MA15+" rating is restricted to those 15 and over meaning those under 15 cannot legally play or buy the game without being accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. It can contain strong gruesome violence if justified by context, strong implication of sexual activity, much coarse language (though "very coarse language" should be infrequent), and "strong themes".
            I don't really see a use for a MA15+ rating if we get R18+, either way they'll need a parent to purchase it with them, and a R18+ label isn't going to stop them playing it if their parents don't care.

Comment

What makes the cut and doesn't is completely arbitrary. It's quite literally an insane process to get something classified, and being that it's illegal to distribute something that isn't classified, there's a pretty big freedom of expression problem just waiting to be addressed...

Anyway, an R18+ rating, rather than a "refused classification" system is much wiser given the average gamer is almost in their 30's now.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

R18+ And Playing With A Full Deck | Kotaku Australia

Comment

TLR - just download a game if you can't buy it?
                  wood for life? wood is life.
                  Originally posted by thro
                  i only squid it when riding pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by harns View Post
                    If you get the game cracked (from say a torrent site) then you will not be able to play multiplayer, which for most games is the whole point of getting the game.
                    You cannot legally download a game that is out of our classification.
                    Try downloading an r rated game from steam, and you cannot.
                    I have missed out on some good steam packs because a few games in the pack were r rated.

Comment

Originally posted by harns View Post
                      Because of restrictive laws, we're currently paying for customs officers to open and inspect parcels looking for banned videogames.

This is an immensly brain damaged use of public resources. Simple "on the shelf" availability isn't the only reason to unfuck the rating system.
                      such comment
                      wow
                      many post

Comment

Originally posted by r0gue View Post
                        If you get the game cracked (from say a torrent site) then you will not be able to play multiplayer, which for most games is the whole point of getting the game.
                        You cannot legally download a game that is out of our classification.
                        Try downloading an r rated game from steam, and you cannot.
                        I have missed out on some good steam packs because a few games in the pack were r rated.
                        You can actually trick Steam into thinking you're in the UK or US, which case you can also get games cheaper. I don't know how it's done though.

Comment

You can actually trick Steam into thinking you're in the UK or US
                          JFGI.

Comment

I don't think you can do that anymore.....
                            Free android puzzle game

Comment

You can actually trick Steam into thinking you're in the UK or US, which case you can also get games cheaper. I don't know how it's done though.
                              You used to be able to, but they fixed that loophole a while ago.
                              There was also reports of accounts being banned for anyone who continued to try to get around the region locks.

Comment

Working...
                              X