Wifi repeater thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi repeater thingy

So I have a wifi router that shoves the net around the house as per every other dude on the planet.

I have a nasty black spot in my bunkroom at the other end of the house tho.

I have a second netcomm wifi router lying about. Can I set it up to be a wifi repeater? (not pluged into the network), ie, it connects to the existing wifi to retransmit wifi again? if so, what's that terminology called (nerd talk) so I can try and find it in the settings?

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

what model netcomm is it?
    i'm pretty sure most access points will let you repeat, but general routers wont.
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
      what model netcomm is it?
      i'm pretty sure most access points will let you repeat, but general routers wont.
      My bad. not netcomm, Netgear MRB624GU.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

according to this www.netgear.com.au/e2shop/uploads/116/MBR624GU_User_Manual.pdf you can do it, but it's specific.

look at page 92.
        Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
          according to this www.netgear.com.au/e2shop/uploads/116/MBR624GU_User_Manual.pdf you can do it, but it's specific.

look at page 92.
          Thanks dude. Repeater. Funny, I thought it would have a geeky name.

All I need to do is find the Mac address for the router I am connected to the net with. Easier said then done. cheers.

Comment

Mac address will be written on a label stuck underneath the unit.

EDIT: Well it should be.

Comment

Also look for WDS (Wireless Distribution System) in lieu of "repeater". Sometimes called that.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                Mac address will be written on a label stuck underneath the unit.

EDIT: Well it should be.
                Iv given it three looks. A me look (as the wife puts it) a wife look, and a it's got a be here somewhere look. Annnd nope. No Mac addy stuck on it and iv clicked on every tab in the settings to no avail.

Comment

Lifehacker has your answer

Alternatively, buy a cheap arse Cisco aironet access point from ebay for around 50-100 bux and get Klinky to set it up for you.

As for finding your routers MAC address, download the tiny file called Netscan.exe and run it. Under options>Program options>additional you'll find a tick box to resolve MAC addresses.

If the list of stuff on your network that pops up gives you no indication which one is your router, do the following.

Press START on your windows pc.
                  type cmd and press enter
                  when the black and white window pops up, type ipconfig /all

look for the ip address in the "default gateway" line.

Then match that number to the one in the netscan list and you'll find the mac address you need.

If you want me to email you the netscan program (it's fucking invaluable for such a tiny file) I'm quite happy to do so, just sms me.
                  Last edited by Ferris; 28-04-2011, 10:59 PM.
                  Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                    Also look for WDS (Wireless Distribution System) in lieu of "repeater". Sometimes called that.
                    Yup, that's what it was. ta.

Iv got it sussed, just need to find the Mac addy for my router I connect to the new with now.

Comment

Deej, call me and I'll talk you through it right now if you like.
                      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by Deej View Post
                        All I need to do is find the Mac address for the router
                        from command prompt type ipconfig -all show up as physical address
                        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

no, that will give him HIS mac address. He needs an arp query to give him the mac address of his router, not his nic in his pc.
                          Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by Deej View Post
                            Iv given it three looks. A me look (as the wife puts it) a wife look, and a it's got a be here somewhere look. Annnd nope. No Mac addy stuck on it and iv clicked on every tab in the settings to no avail.
                            Give it a foxeye look Deej

If you have your Ipad or Iphone hooked to the network go to Settings - General - About
                            This should have your Wi-Fi Address or MAC Address

I'm far from a computer wizz but see how you go.
                            GHETTO
                            Last edited by GHETTO; 28-04-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Edit : Double Post

Comment

Working...
                              X