Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a P&S Camera for full HD video

Hi,

I'm looking for a point and shoot camera with outstanding recording of full HD video.
    The main use will be for shooting pics and video underwater on dives and snorkelling.

I am looking anywhere between $200-600.

I have ruled out DLSR's because underwater casings are too expensive.

Suggestions?

Canon S95
    sigpic

Comment

GoPro HD...... It can take single shots, as well as full HD Video. Apparently the case is good for 90 metres......
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

The GoPro is really average under water due to the curved lens on the case. Everything turns out blurry. It's great on the bike though.

I also hear good things about the Cannon S95, but if you go for something like the Olympus TG-810 or Panasonic FT3, the cameras themselves are water proof to 10m (so no housing needed for snorkelling) but if you do want to dive deeper with the housing if you flood it - the camera may not be totally destroyed.
        Last edited by TheBoof; 05-05-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have the Gopro HD and used it underwater on my trip up to Coral Bay last month: see vid

The quality wasn't too bad, but after seeing some other underwater vids by people with just compact cameras (see vid), I have been inspired to invest in a good compact camera for the job.

I have ruled waterproof camera's out, because as you say I do want to take it diving and I also want to attached a wide angle and macro lens to it.

I'll have been looking at the Canon Ixus 1000HS. How does that compare to the Canon S95?

Comment

Okay I found this and they rate the canon powershot S95 better than the Ixus 1000HS. Except it only shoots 720p.

Comment

I suggest you find out more on the image/video quality.

See if you can dnld some sample footage of each.
              sigpic

Comment

S95:

1000HS:

The Ixus 1000HS looks superb.

Comment

1-day - Kodak Mini Video Camera

Comment

Originally posted by timmyboy View Post
                    Okay I found this and they rate the canon powershot S95 better than the Ixus 1000HS. Except it only shoots 720p.
                    720p with a decent frame rate will look heaps better than 1080i/p with a shitty one.

Videos will need least of a beast to edit too.

Comment

They are both shooting at 24 frames per second, so frame rate is not an issue with those two cameras. I don't need ultra slow play back anyhow.

Comment

is it just me or is the exposure/brightness/aperature adjustment on the IXUS video a bit slow and jerky in comparison to the S95? Seems like it would try and hold it a bit longer and then rapidly adjust down to the next bracket.

Then again, maybe I'm just tripping balls.

Comment

Hard to compare any camera A to camera B on the spec sheet.
                          S95: Larger sensor, same "Megapixel" rating.....so the only reason I'd think it doesn't record in 1080 is that it probably can't process that much data.
                          (And canon can bring out another upgrade next year. :roll: )

Ixus certainly had the better looking footage under ideal conditions.

Go buy an SD card and do your own test in the shops.
                          With a smaller aperture, and sensor, you may find the ixus to need a high iso, hence grainy footage, for the low light conditions you'd have underwater.
                          If footage is you main priority, and the ixus still comes up with the goods, decision made.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
                            With a smaller aperture, and sensor, you may find the ixus to need a high iso, hence grainy footage, for the low light conditions you'd have underwater.
                            Thanks for that. Although I have been doing some research over the last few days, there is so much to photography and very much a noob still with it all.

Comment

Working...
                            X