Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic help wanted- making a flashing LED tube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic help wanted- making a flashing LED tube.

I have a pub crawl coming up, and I want to be able to create (or buy) an LED setup so that I can have a series of LEDs that flash on and of. I want to have 2 sets of LEDs kinda like this:

A B A B A B A B

so that all the As flash on, and then they turn off and the Bs turn on. I can wire it up so that the As and Bs are on different circuits (buy a strip of LEDs for each) but I dunno how I can set it up to flash. Its for a costume, so I don't really want to make something up from a circuit- I'd rather buy something ready made if I can. I'll probably put the LEDs inside some plastic tubing to keep them from getting broken.

The LED strips are 12V, so i should be able to sort it out with a series of batteries for power.

Anyone have any ideas?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

google 555 (to time it), maybe a d type flipflop, and a p-channel FET with a small gate resistor to give each output sufficient power for the LEDs.

RS Australia will have suitable bits for probably around $5.00 delivered.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

That sounds like its beyond my abilities to knock up TBH. Any ideas where I could get some sort of diagram for it?
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

goggle
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

yup, wot the starfishy said, 555 timer is your friend. Gotta fit a 741 opamp in there somewhere too, just for nostalgia
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

clicky

Comment

I'd be surprised if Jaycar/DSE/Altronics didn't have that in an off the shelf kit.
              sigpic

Comment

LED flasher unit and a changeover relay.
                Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

enjoy your led light

Comment

Working...
                  X