Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House built wrong way around - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House built wrong way around - what to do?

I'm getting a house built, was bought as a house and land package.

All has been going well until recently. The inspector ( from the property developer ) sent me the lastest photos to coincide with the builders' progress payment for up to plateheight ( they've probably got the roof mostly finished by today ). The trouble is the house is being built in a mirror image to what I signed for. Apparently the plans the shire approved show it how it is being built, but that's not what I approved when I laid out my cash. Somewhere along the line someone ( the builder? ) has sent either me or the shire the wrong plans, so I've approved one thing and the Shire has approved another.

What are my options? Obviously the builder isn't going to want to pull it all down and start again, but what they are building is not what I approved ( and paid for ).
    BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

so how much of an issue will it be? is it a case of it being totally fucked the way it is? or could it be managed with if you were compensated?

Comment

Building ombudsman mate apparently they love this type of shit, Or an independant building inspector, Just hope you can prove that your word against the builders.

Comment

Hope you have copies?

Comment

What was approved by the Shire is obviously the important bit, as otherwise the house is not built to license and will need a further approval.
          If the house that you agreed to (by way of your contract) is different to what was built, then as jimmyboy suggested, building ombudsman if you are unhappy with the outcome.
          Maybe extra rooms, a pool, another garage or something by way of compensation, unless the 'new' way it has been built really screws up the functionality of your new home.

Comment

I was sent 2 copies of the plans, 1 to keep and 1 to sign off and send back to the builder, which I did. The inspector lady from the developer said she noticed too that it is back to front. She rang the builder to get a copy of the “Ok to Start” plans (which means they are shire approved and have building licence). These plans show the house as what is constructed.

She also suggested I check the “Final Plans” that I signed with the builder, but I know they are the same as the copy I have because I checked both copies against each other before I signed them.

It's not totally fucked the way it is now, and yes it could be "managed" with some compensation. It's not going to make that big a difference in the long term, but the sun will now be on the wrong side of the house in the afternoon. It's more the principal of it - I signed for this and they've built that. Why bother with plans and approvals if they go and build whatever they like anyway?
            BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

If everything you've signed off on shows it the way you want (especially the contract set and afterwards) then stick to your guns and tell them to tear it down and rebuild it.

They'll not want that as double cost of build plus demo costs.

So agree on 75% cash back or more.

Comment

****EDIT: ^^^^ I'm so hard for this guy right now.

Originally posted by JAFA View Post
                It's not going to make that big a difference in the long term, but the sun will now be on the wrong side of the house in the afternoon.
                That would upset me pretty friggin' badly hey buddy.

Still, what's done is done. I've not been in the situation before, but how I would handle it (or any large screw up like this) is;

Contact the builder with the proof you have, saying something smooth like "I'm sure this can be worked out, but I'm pretty upset" and see what the project manager can bring to the table. If you can find out, maybe do some digging and see what it would cost to actually un-fuck their work to this point and find out what that would do to them. Let's imagine there was a $50,000 cost to the builder to do things properly, I'd be pretty happy with a nice pool or maybe a $20,000 refund. Knowing the value of the fuck up to them could be awfully useful, but may not be necessary.

Good luck mate, I hope something good comes out of it for you in the end.
                such comment
                wow
                many post

Comment

If you can put up with it I would ask for compensation. If its going to cost them $60,000 to demolish and rebuild, I would ask for $30,000. You get the idea.

Edit : beaten by Brougham and Cam
                  Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

if you can drag it out until the finishing trades get started though, then you can really hit the big $$ in recouping costs

Doubt you'll get a chance with approvals and deadlines though.
                    There are probably extra energy costs involved with heating/cooling a home oriented the wrong way, maybe, possibly worth money.

Comment

Could the new orientation dramatically affect the heating or cooling costs compared with the way round it should have been.

If so don't go easy on them as it will be an ongoing cost for the life of the property.
                      The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

mate im a bricklayer ive seen and heard of these situations a couple of times take photos say ur not happy and youll go to lawyers and papers with whats happend theyll easily fold and offer u compo

Comment

Also find out why.
                          There is no reason why you shouldn't of found out, but maybe it needed to be flipped to pass the energy rating requirements.
                          That said, it should not of gone to site without you; a: knowing, and b: approving.
                          p.s. who done it?
                          Originally posted by Desmogod
                          Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Originally posted by timmay View Post
                            p.s. who done it?
                            I sense another "PSB sued by construction company" thread coming on.

Maybe best not to discuss too many details, lest people try to pick a fight they won't win and it jeopardizes this gents chances of a positive outcome.
                            such comment
                            wow
                            many post

Comment

But I'm a supporter, so we can afford lawyers.
                              Edit: That's not why, and, Cam is right.
                              Originally posted by Desmogod
                              Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Working...
                              X