Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Windows on Macs? How good is it really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Windows on Macs? How good is it really?

Hi Nerds.
    I've decided to finally bite the bullet and buy my first lap-top. :o
    Considered tablets for a while, but I don't think the technology is quite where I want it.

Essentially need a Windows operating system to be able to run Space Gass, Multiframe and Tekla Structures to a lesser degree.

Lightweight and small size are my first priorities, after that comes processor then dedicated graphics if possible.

1)
    I'm thinking of getting a 13", for those that have a laptop, is 13" too small after a time? and you wish you had gone for a 15? Or is it the other way around? Bought a 15" and realised you should of gotten the 13?

2)
    Secondly I like the lightness of the Macbook Air(Cheaper then the Samsung) and the Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A. With the Macbook though I will need to dual boot it, Does the performance drop doing this? Will it be noticeable? Any problems that I should be aware of?

3)
    Is the Macbook Air/Samsung worth the lightweight? Restricted storage space Or am I better getting a Mac-book Pro/ Something else?

My shortlist so far:
    MacBook Air:

Samsung Series 9 NP900X3A (13-inch) <- Click for linky

Specifications

13.3-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with 1366 x 768 resolution and 400-nit high brightness.
    1.4 GHz low voltage Intel Core i5-2537M "Sandy Bridge" dual-core processor for smart performance with a speed boost (2.3 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology; 3 MB L3 cache). It also includes Intel's Hyper-Threading Technology enables each core of your processor to work on two tasks at the same time, delivering the performance you need for smart multitasking. And it comes equipped with Intel Quick Sync Video, which provides accelerated encoding, decoding, and transcoding features (for converting video for portable players or online sharing).
    128 GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
    4 GB of installed DDR3 RAM (upgradeable to 8 G
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 delivers built-in performance for casual and mainstream gaming with no extra graphics hardware needed.
    Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking capability provides up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range using 802.11n-compatible routers as you would with 802.11g networks. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found at Wi-Fi hotspots and in older home routers).
    Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It's compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as printers and cell phones.
    1.3-megapixel HD webcam
    Built-in stereo speakers (1.5 W x 2) with HD Audio
    Up to 7 hours of battery life
    Weight: 2.88 pounds
    Dimensions: 14.8 x 13.9 x 2.7 inches (WxHxD)
    Warranty: 3-year international warranty, 24/7 US-based tech support, and two way free standard shipping.
    Networking, Connectivity & Expansion

1 USB 3.0 port, 1 USB 2.0 port
    Micro HDMI high-definition audio/video output
    Microphone input port plus headphone output jack
    MicroSD memory card reader
    Fast Ethernet (10/100)
    :stupid:

I would look at a 13" MBP with either parallels or bootcamp.
    If you are going to be spending a lot of time in front of it, possibly look at the 15", I wouldn't bother with the air, I'm presuming this is a business machine which the air is not, you'll find some limitations.

Comment

Macbook pro 15. I think those specs listed are out of date as they're quad core i7. Just got the 15inch 2 GHz i7 with 4gb of RAM, goes great, has the radeon 6490M for graphics. Run fusion VMware for using windows if required. Great machine, was looking at the 13 inch but looked really small side by side and the 17 too much to carry in a backpack etc.
      The airbook missing too many things you'd want like ethernet and optical drive.
      Originally posted by Abuse this
      Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

I'd forget the air, utterly overpriced more like a perifery device than a stand alone computer.

I'd go for a 13' macbook pro. I have a 15' MBP from 3 years ago and its still going. I find it a little heavy though now and then so maybe a 13' would be better (bearing in mind 3 years ago they were a bit heavier anyway). Multiframe and Spacegass can actually be run straight off OSX. Multiframe was originally mac only i believe. While generally the macs are a little more pricey here is a big plus for us uni students- buy through the bookshop computer shop and not only is it cheaper but you get a FREE 3 year warranty, covers pretty much everything. You'd be hard pressed to find that on other laptops I reckon.

Anyway in summation, I'd go the 13' MBP for cost/performance/weight

Comment

Originally posted by mekon View Post
          Macbook pro 15. I think those specs listed are out of date as they're quad core i7. Just got the 15inch 2 GHz i7 with 4gb of RAM, goes great, has the radeon 6490M for graphics. Run fusion VMware for using windows if required. Great machine, was looking at the 13 inch but looked really small side by side and the 17 too much to carry in a backpack etc.
          Everything with an aluminium case is now called a "pro". for the actually pros you need to go to 15"

Comment

Originally posted by mekon View Post
            Ah yeh, your right. The Air's are still the same I think, but the Pro has changed. Pro is below
            Now the question is, is there that much difference between the i5 and i7 haha.

Oh and do the Multi-touch functions work in Windows 7?

Last edited by Wedge; 08-05-2011, 10:11 PM.
            :stupid:

Comment

Hey Wedge. I think you should forget about the weight and start investing in high specs laptop which can handle high-performance stuff for the next few years. Anyway, make sure you check out HP Pavilion DV6t... The price's good for its specs too:

HP DV6t Quad Edition~i7-2630QM ~1GB ATI HD 6490M~8GB | eBay

Comment

I wouldn't piss on an HP if it's LiPo was on fire.
                The Mac will more than handle the applications and it's service life is so much longer than a PC with a build quality that is second to none.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                  The Macs ... service life is so much longer than a PC with a build quality that is second to none.
                  Thanks for the laugh.

However, they do have by far the best warranty and after-sales support.

Comment

My last MBP ran flawlessly for over three years, very rarely being powered off and only needing rebooting for software updates. The most reliable computer or household appliance I have ever had.

Comment

My last MBP ran flawlessly for over three years, very rarely being powered off and only needing rebooting for software updates. The most reliable computer or household appliance I have ever had.
                      ditto for me, still have mine though and it has been thrown in and out of my backpack pretty much everyday to boot. only had 2 problems and one of those was battery life, the other was 2 months ago (so it was 3 years since I got it) and it was covered under warranty.

Comment

Yeah, a few years ago they were definitely the best built machines out there. Quality has dropped severely in the last year or so, look online for a few tear-downs.

And yes, compared to Windows, OS X is leaps and bounds ahead.

Comment

I dont really see the point of buyisng a mac to run windows, people pay the extra money for a mac to run OSX software, if you wanna run Windows, it kinda defeats the purpose.
                          Dual booting does give you a slight performance drop, although its getting better over time as macs are starting to use the same hardware as PCs.
                          My opinion: buy a PC for windows, a Mac for OSX, simple as that.
                          Virt
                          Inactive Member
                          Last edited by Virt; 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM.
                          Want awesome looking headlights or other lights? PM me

Lock your shit up!

Sceince flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Virt View Post
                            Dual booting does give you a slight performance drop, although its getting better over time as macs are tarting to use the same hardware as PCs.
                            ... say what?!

Comment

there really shouldn't be any performance drop, when I bought my MBP the fastest laptop, anywhere, of all brands to run windows on was, you guessed it, the MBP.

Comment

Working...
                              X