Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC build

PC's motherboard has packed it in, so it's time for a new build

Main uses will be general day to day stuff, media, and a decent amount of gaming. I'm no WoW shut-in, but when I play games, I like to be able to do so at full detail.
    So far the plan is thus:

MoBo intel DX58SO2 $314
    CPU i7 960 (3.2GHz) $294
    RAM Corsair 6*2GB $307
    GPU Gigabyte GTX580 $549
    PSU Corsair 850W $253

Looking at intel for the mobo due to their reputation for being rock solid stable.
    CPU is the best for the amount of money I'm willing to pay
    RAM and GPU choice is the same as CPU, although I'm open to suggestions on the GPU because I really don't know what radeon have got at the moment. My monitor is 1680*1050 if that helps.
    The size of the PSU comes from a couple of different power calculators I found with google, both recommended around 750W.

Onto drives. I have no shortage of optical drives and sata HDDs, don't need to buy more of them.
    Are SSDs really worth the performance boost at current prices? They just seem a little steep to me.

Don't need any new peripherals. All set in that department.

So what do you think?

The list looks good, Im more of an ATI gfx card man myself they normally out perform the Nvidia's but looking at whats on the market you have prob picked the best bang for your buck.

As far as SSD's go, absolute must for a performance system... I normally get an 80 gb ssd just for windows to run on, boot speeds are so much faster.

750 W PSU is fine unless you plan on running two gfx cards later on in which case get 1000 W.
    lucky davo
    Last edited by lucky davo; 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I never really followed ATI either so can't help you there, other than the fact you can get a 560GTX for half the price of the 580..! The 560GTX chip was released in January this year so its not that old. The money you save you can put into a Sata3 SSD which will help your system out a heap more compared to getting the 580.
      Hard drives have been the limiting factor in PCs for years, so to not get a SSD is kinda silly imho. Once you get a SSD you will wonder how you ever lived without it..
      Tomorrow: A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation, and achievement is stored.

Avatar used with permission from Mekon

Comment

Most people are going for the i5 2500k for gaming builds these days: Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked Processor, 3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket LGA1155 Over Clockers Model
        Cheaper than the i7, and better for high performance (hyper threading can reduce performance when all the real cores are being maxed). Plus this is the new sandy bridge, supposed to be faster clock-for-clock than nehalem.

The radeon 6950 is the nerd choice as it can be unlocked for a 6970, saving $100. It's not as fast as a 580GTX but it's not going to struggle at 1920x1080 either

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
          Most people are going for the i5 2500k for gaming builds these days: Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked Processor, 3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket LGA1155 Over Clockers Model
          Cheaper than the i7, and better for high performance (hyper threading can reduce performance when all the real cores are being maxed). Plus this is the new sandy bridge, supposed to be faster clock-for-clock than nehalem.

The radeon 6950 is the nerd choice as it can be unlocked for a 6970, saving $100. It's not as fast as a 580GTX but it's not going to struggle at 1920x1080 either
          ..or could go this if you really wanted i7, Intel Core i7 2600K LGA1155
          Tomorrow: A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation, and achievement is stored.

Comment

I'm looking to stay a pace or two off the bleeding edge for this build. I pretty much want to put it together and then never have to open the case again. With this in mind, I'm somewhat hesitant about sandybridge given the all the scewups they've already had.

Comment

Originally posted by NanoBear View Post
              I'm looking to stay a pace or two off the bleeding edge for this build. I pretty much want to put it together and then never have to open the case again. With this in mind, I'm somewhat hesitant about sandybridge given the all the scewups they've already had.
              With the Sandybridge thing, their last 'major flaw' was in 1994.. that is a pretty good run! The amount of time between big problems and the fact they let their customers know asap once the flaw was found, I think they have handled it very well; and as such I would have no concerns in buying any Intel product. Sony on the other hand..

Comment

I've got a similar system to yours an very very happy with it so far

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Here would be mine:

Asrock P67 mobo - $200, just as good as intel.
                  i7-2600 - $300 or i5-2500 - $215.
                  8gb ram - $200 tops for some gskill low cas ram.

Sandy bridge is the way of the future and by your costing you're going to get the 2600 which is significantly faster than the 960 for the same price.

For the gpu - radeon 6970 performs at nearly the same level and its $350. If you're going to spend $550 you may aswell get the radeon 6990 dual gpu card which is equivalent to the GTX590. Almost 2x as powerful as the 580 going by benchmarks and only $150 more than what you currently want to spend. On a bang for buck angle the 580 isn't worth it.

Prices are steep, you buying locally or something?
                  Last edited by jobbo; 11-05-2011, 10:40 PM.
                  Much love for you. http://templeofthewayoflight.org/

Comment

Originally posted by jobbo View Post
                    Not sure what reasoning you're going on this list but here'd be mine:

Asrock P67 mobo - $200
                    i7-2600 - $300 - why pay the same for an old i7?..no flaws in this pcu.
                    8gb ram - $200 tops

For the gpu - radeon 6970, near the same performance and $200 cheaper, otherwise go the radeon 6990, its $150 more than the 580 but performance is near double.

You buying locally or something?
                    The flaw was in the supporting chipset. Sata controller was fucked resulting in a massive recall. Has this been completely rectified?
                    Also, based on past experience, I wouldn't touch Asrock with a 10 foot stick. I'm quite keen on an intel board this time around based on advice from a couple of other PSBers.

Comment

been doing some reading, you're right, I can indeed get a faster chip for the same money by going with sandybridge. i7 2600 ftw.

which puts me back to the drawing board for a mobo.
                      Looking through the specs, I don't see any real benefit in waiting for Z68 rather than going with P67 or H67.

after a quick look around, I'm now looking at this pair:
                      Intel DP67BGB3
                      i7 2600
                      feel free to recommence poking holes
                      plus one of these, because I don't like noisy stock coolers
                      Noctua NH-U12P

Anyone familiar with the state of the SATA III SSD market at the moment?
                      I can't find much beyond the initial dominance of the C300. Anything else stick out at the moment?
                      OCZ Technology AGT3-25SAT3-120G - $299.00 - Scorpion Technology overkill?
                      NanoBear
                      Last edited by NanoBear; 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Why so keen on buying from Aus? You'll probably save around 30% if you order from the US. Save yourself $100 here for a start... Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SSD definitely worth it for your OS and apps. Above 120gb is overkill.

Also maybe check out the i7-2600k if you're interested in overclocking at a later stage.

Comment

Not interested in overclocking, so no need for the K series.

In regards to the SSD, the agility 3 I linked to is Sata III, the Vertex 2 is Sata II

Comment

so, what's some good US sites for buying PC components then?

Comment

Cynicism detected, well newegg is no secret? Tigerdirect are also apparently good but I haven't ordered anything from them. Computer Part Selection For DIY PC Builders - PCPartPicker is pretty helpful too.

I don;t know much about this but SSD is plenty imo without going to sata 3 and not worth the cost - running Sataiii in raid 0 seems to be where the performance boost is significant. If you're doing alot of media then sure but sound like its more general and gaming. Read up on it at Tomshardware plenty of discussion and articles.

Highest priority should be minimising the bottleneck of your gpu imo. I'd even say build around it cost and compatibility wise. The GTX590 is much quieter, better supported and slightly faster than the 6990, and a massive jump ahead of the 580 (approx 35%).

Btw the other option would be to get a 6970 for $350 now and wait till the 590 comes down in price. Lastly, why have such a nice build with a mediocre monitor? You could put the difference into a nice big decent res screen.

Anyway good luck with it all. Tomshardware helped me a fair bit for researching tech, checking benchmarks and testing out your build theory and they have a forum for asking opinion on speccing builds etc. Reddit is good for that too. GL

Let us kow how the build goes - doing mine next month, in a mini atx case for taking on site haha.
                              Last edited by jobbo; 16-05-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X