Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to buy anything ... is there something wrong with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to buy anything ... is there something wrong with me?

I've noticed a gradual change over the last five years or so ... probably around the time I turned 50.

I look at the various catalogues that arrive chock a block full of "stuff" and I have absolutely no desire to buy any of it. All the Harvey Norman electrical/electronic gadgets do nothing for me. Fashion, shoes, houses, homewares, whitegoods ... no interest at all. Home entertainment systems, giant televisions ... no way, computers ... nope. Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, Ithis and Ithat... not interested. Work issued me with an Iphone4and I've not bought one app or tune 'cos I don't want to.

I'm happy with my modest townhouse and have no desire to trade up to any thing bigger or flasher. I do like to have a nice car so I've spent a bit on that but I have no urge to buy any bling. It's got an expensive sound system but I hardly ever use it as I'm happy to drive along with my own thoughts. I installed a digital tuning box, low dust brake pads and bought an AMG replica spoiler off eBay in Taiwan for $80.

I bought a nice van for hauling the bike and gear to and from Barbagallo and Collie and a good set of tools in roller cabinets, tyre changing rig, compressor and bike lift.

I've spent money on my race bike to make it better/safer for track riding and racing ... Ohlins front and rear, STM slipper, Bazzaz ZFiTC, GPXPro etc. I'm satisfied with the set up now and will ride that for a few more years before I consider changing it. But I haven't even spent money on a slip on because I can't see the need for it so I run the standard exhaust. I spend a fair bit on Trackdayz and racing with the HCMCC.

So it appears I'm ok spending money on practical things that I can put to good use and spending money on doing challenging things.

I have read this is common as you get older ... also my perspective is different now as to what's important. I have no debt, good cashflow and save money every month and only buy things I need to live and continue with my motorcycling sport. If I can save a dollar by doing something myself I will. I will reuse cable ties by unlocking them and will always get two cups out of a single tea bag.

In fact I get a lot of satisfaction by doing something myself because I feel as though I'm beating the system ... whether it's fixing something around the house or repairing something on the cars. When I need a new computer I've allways bought all the components and built them myself 'cos it's cheaper.

I can recall when I was younger hanging out to get a new car or bike and being excited when they finally arrived ... but that feeling doesn't happen anymore.

The marketers must hate the fact that people like me exist. Is there anyone else out there with similar views?
    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

To an extent- I have tons of iPhone apps though! Although my phone links me to all of my friends, enables me to manage my life while I'm away, and can find me pretty much any information I want- I love knowledge.

I think it's because you have found what makes you happy- you no longer seek to fill a need with shiny things. You must be getting all of your needs met, including the ones within yourself that only you can fulfill.
    Congratulations, you have emerged victorious from the perils of youth
    And yes, you are now an advertisers nightmare
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

It's because everyone's doing it.

Can't help but put you off.
      Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

I'm a shocker and hemorrhage money. But now I have pretty much all I need (and doubtless much more), I'm enjoying being much more frugal. There's great satisfaction in doing things as required, sorting stuff yourself, and flicking a finger up at pointless consumerism.

Still costs money to travel though. And tyres. And that mortgage...
        Holder of

Team KL 2011. Round 3 - the biggest yet

Comment

Yep same as you Scott i find it hard to spend money but still pretty happy in life still have my last 5 pay cheques in my wallet and a iphone with no added apps

Comment

Fuck dude, I'm only just getting to the stage where a paycheck lasts 5 days

Comment

I've become a massive cheapskate over the past few years. Not through trying, just because there are very few things that I really want to buy. More money for cool shit like overseas holidays and the like. These days its pretty easy to keep yourself entertained for very little money. Downloading everything that isn't nailed down goes a long way.
              As for getting excited about new things? I always look forward to something being old enough to have a few choices on the second hand market. The latest and greatest may be cool, but it doesn't automatically mean the old model is suddenly a piece of crap.
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Nickerz View Post
                I'm a shocker and hemorrhage money. But now I have pretty much all I need (and doubtless much more), I'm enjoying being much more frugal. There's great satisfaction in doing things as required, sorting stuff yourself, and flicking a finger up at pointless consumerism.

Still costs money to travel though. And tyres. And that mortgage...
                Maybe the feelings we have are because consumerism has got to he point where it's over the top ... the shrill cries from the advertisers have reached saturation and that's causing a backlash ... maybe that's it.

The more they yell at me to buy this, buy that the more I want to tell 'em to go f*ck themselves and not give them any of my hard earned.

I've done a lot of travel around Australia with work and some overseas work travel as well to the USA and UK. Also holiday travel to Europe and the USA. Travel is an interesting one because now I want to do a long haul international flight like I want a hole in the head. So I'm not keen at all now to do too much overseas travel as it's hard work, stressful, expensive and environmentally wrong. My wife still wants to do a few trips so I'm going to have to force myself ... but if I had a choice I'd say no. I'd prefer not to spend the money and get 6.0% in UBank.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                  I'd prefer not to spend the money and get 6.0% in UBank.
                  Yeah but what's the point if you're not going to spend it?

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                    That's the problem ... I don't know ... other than not falling into the trap of endless consumption gives you freedom because you end up with money in the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                      Just knowing you can buy thing if you want is a pretty good feeling

Comment

congratulations you got old.

however if you find yourself wanting to wash glad wrap to use again later or something of that nature you may need help.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by rharris View Post
                          Just knowing you can buy thing if you want is a pretty good feeling
                          That's a good point. Knowing that you can buy something but don't need it is empowering.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            congratulations you got old.

however if you find yourself wanting to wash glad wrap to use again later or something of that nature you may need help.
                            Thank goodness I haven't got to that point yet! Keep an eye on me though just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by rharris View Post
                              Yep same as you Scott i find it hard to spend money but still pretty happy in life still have my last 5 pay cheques in my wallet and a iphone with no added apps
                              You get it good though.

"There you go sir your door is open,pay me now please"

"You need a new safe I recommend a 400 dollar one" "hello I need to order that 300 dollar safe for a customer"

I wish the pub ran like that.
                              My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Working...
                              X