Termites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termites

Have discovered evidence of termites in house i'm renovating. Can't find any of the buggers, so don't really know if they're still around or if they've been there in the past and since left. 4 years ago before i got the place it was apparently treated by a pest control company who have certified it to have been treated - that's all the info I have on it.

My instincts tell me to do two things - first to have the entire place absolutely flooded with a truly ridiculous amount of carcinogenic chemicals and secondly to get those bates installed some distance away from the house, so if they return they go there instead of my place.

is that the best course of action? anyone know about this stuff?

Mmmm....termites. Lovely. I would suggest a good "Chemical Cocktail" and kill em all. On Monday- ring around for local pest control companies and ask for their opinions.

Comment

Call up a termite place.

We had them in our place. little deposits of what looked like sand in a few places. Then i tried knocking on the wood and it sounded hollow and shitty so I stabbed a screwdriver in and found some of the little buggers.

We had little holes drilled all around the house and poison put in to stop them coming back and all the areas they were in sprayed.

They come back every year for 10 years to guarantee their work if they find them again.

Plus if you get the pros in they have all the gear to detect them. CO2 or moisture or something detectors plus boroscopes so they can look in places without ripping shit apart.
      Wes

Comment

Get a professional in to do an inspection and full perimeter treatment and have it inspected and treated annually. The previous crowd would usually leave their details in the meter box.

If not, I use Termico for all my houses and they are really good. I think they charge around $255.00 a year for a full perimeter treatment for all bugs, not just termites.

If you want any details on building a nice steel termite resistant roof, let me know

What sort of house is it?

Comment

Call a pest control company and you will end up dealing with someone that looks like this:

PM me and I'll give you the number of someone that will provide independent advice.

You may be looking at previous damage and be ok. Digging around with a screwdriver is the only way to tell for sure. If it is an old house was probably treated with organochlorine chemicals that will last 20-30 years. A more modern house and you are looking at 5-10 years protection at best. One of the current chemicals (Fipronil) does a pretty good job of killing them but the other popular chemical (can't remember the name) acts only as a repellent so if the treatment does not form a total barrier the termites will find the gap and march on it. Termites really aren't that keen on jarrah but they love karri which looks the same. The bait system is a very nice earner for the chemical company.
          Last edited by agrid; 21-05-2011, 01:57 PM.
          -

Comment

yeah cheers guys, totally agree with you all that it's a job for the pro's, i won't attack this all by myself.

Wigarus - spot on, I found their details inside the box, got hold of the guy and he's coming round this arvo to have a look. He actually remembered the house and the old lady who owned it before me. He straight away said "shit aye, they shouldn't be back that soon, if we can find any, we'll sort it out for you under the warranty, so don't worry about that." So that sounds positive, sounds like a good guy.

for anyone else who's interested, i'll post up what he recommends and his details.

Comment

We had our last house done when one of our bathroom cabinets disintergrated in my hands when I went to clean out the cabinets, they'd been in there a week or so and completely gutted it...but you would never have known to look at it. Amazing creatures. We paid Termipest to come out and they drilled a few hundred holes into the paving around the house and injected a milky substance into the ground around the whole house. Killed em within days.
              Originally posted by Red_is_Best
              hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

My guess is that it will go like this. The "warranty" won't cover any damage, just a re-treatment. You get the re-treatment when you pay for another inspection. The inspection involves a pimply-faced kid that's done a two week course, climbing into your roof-space for 20 minutes while he texts his girlfriend. The inspection will cost you $240 and the free re-treatment will cost them $2.40.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                  My guess is that it will go like this. The "warranty" won't cover any damage, just a re-treatment. You get the re-treatment when you pay for another inspection. The inspection involves a pimply-faced kid that's done a two week course, climbing into your roof-space for 20 minutes while he texts his girlfriend. The inspection will cost you $240 and the free re-treatment will cost them $2.40.
                  He has a girlfriend? Wow... I'm impressed.... Was her name Kleenex?

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                    Call a pest control company and you will end up dealing with someone that looks like this:

PM me and I'll give you the number of someone that will provide independent advice.

You may be looking at previous damage and be ok. Digging around with a screwdriver is the only way to tell for sure. If it is an old house was probably treated with organochlorine chemicals that will last 20-30 years. A more modern house and you are looking at 5-10 years protection at best. One of the current chemicals (Fipronil) does a pretty good job of killing them but the other popular chemical (can't remember the name) acts only as a repellent so if the treatment does not form a total barrier the termites will find the gap and march on it. Termites really aren't that keen on jarrah but they love karri which looks the same. The bait system is a very nice earner for the chemical company.
                    I still have half a bottle of fipronil around.
                    Works a treat.

Best all over pest control (except termites) is Coopex. You can buy it from bunnings in powder form.
                    It's what the pest control companies use for outside spraying.

Organo-chlorines (ddt and others) were replaced with organo-phosphates. Still toxic, but bond to the waters in your body not the fat, so are less likely to kill you.

Arsenic is still used on spots.

Sounds like you have a good guy on the job shmoo.
                    Hope it all works out for you.
                    It is a filthy cheating industry of people who come out each year and spread more water than poison on your property just so they can take your money and make you think they are doing you a favour.

I sold pest control for a rip off company. Took me six months to work out that the industry is full of cheats.
                    Fuck em all.

Deal with a problem when it arises and don't leave shit around to attract them.
                    (Except for maybe some strips of pine fastened together in the corners of your yard so you have an early warning system.)
                    sigpic

Comment

How good is David Grays ant and termite spray at killing white ants?
                      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                        How good is David Grays ant and termite spray at killing white ants?
                        Pretty useless I would think. Unless it's designed to be used as a barrier.
                        -

Comment

Working...
                        X