FGWTK: After school activities/sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FGWTK: After school activities/sport

As most of you know im a proud Mum of three. Im of the mind not to overload my kids with too many afterschool sports, as Id like them to have a healthy balance of downtime to just be a kid. Some of my friends have their kids in multiple activities, and practically live in their car running from sport activity to another...and seem to be exhausted, both the kids AND the parents. Id like to know what benefit there is to this.

Did your parents have you on a scheduled timetable of activities, or not. Do you think its healthy to do this? Im not against kids being active, but Im not quiet getting the thought process behind having the kids do so much.

My kids schedule:
    Monday:
    Kid #1 1 hour mandatory school homework, 1/2 hour french, 1/2 hour of advanced mathematics
    kid #2 Guitar lessons at school, spelling revision for an hour after school, reading
    kid #3Guitar lessons at school, spelling revision for an hour after school,reading
    Tuesday:
    Kid #1 Chess till 4:30pm, 1 hour mandatory school homework, scouts from 7-9pm
    kid #2 Guitar revision 1/2 hour, spelling revision
    kid #2 reading for 1/2 hour, spelling revision
    Wednesday
    kid #1 Football training till 5pm, 1 hour mandatory homework
    kis #2 Guitar revision 1/2 hour classic excercises,1/2 hour spelling revision, reading 1/2 hour
    kid #3 netball training for 1 hour, reading 1/2 hour, spelling revision
    Thursday
    kid #1 1 hour mandatory school homework, 1/2 hour french revision
    kid #2 Guitar revision 1/2 hour, spelling revision, reading
    kid #3 spelling revision 1/2 hour, reading 1/2 hour
    Friday
    kid #1 Football game till 5pm, 1 hour mandatory school homework.
    kid #2 1/2 hour comprehension work, spelling revision, reading
    kid #3 1/2 hour reading, spelling revision
    Saturday
    kid #1 nothing
    kid #2 netball game
    kid #3 netball game
    Sunday
    zilch

when I look at our weekly schedule, I feel exhausted LOL! I dunno how other Mums n dads do even more!! I have one Mum who I adore who has bother her kids scheduled every day without fail.
    Fastgirl
    Last edited by Fastgirl; 22-05-2011, 04:15 PM.
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

I did everything I could from about the age of 7 up until about 21 (long out of home by then). My childhood was tennis, cricket, soccer, hockey and debating. I loved it. Wasn't pushed, just encouraged to be active and made the most of it.

Through 11-16 I was playing sport everyday of the week except for Fridays. It was fantastic.
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

I am of the kids should be kids train of thought.
      I do live in a good place for kids to run wild and free though.
      In the burbs it would be a diferant story (maybe).
      I would also be inclined to ask the child what they like and are into.

All kids like bush, at least every one i have met.
      Creeks are a magnet for exploring and fun.

My sister was a paranoid parent (IMO) and didnt let her kids run wild as such.
      She was the soccer mum.
      I just couldent do that, exept maybe if my daugter wanted to race bikes. ^_^

I was also brought up rather wild and free
      If i wanted to join a club , fine .
      It was up to me, when i did I had to walk.
      Sometimes a fairly long way.

I dont get the soccer mum/ Mr Mum mentality
      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
      (anarchy in english )

Comment

we all got one sport per season (winter/summer) and one activity.

As we all did athletics in Summer made it very easy for mum and dad haha

Comment

My sons a Guildford Boy so a lot of his activities are at school. Chess, footy. He has a two hour a night homework regime thats pretty full on and he's only years 7. Daughters do netball on Saturdays. Im wondering if kids who do more, become more successful? or just stressed?
          hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

I'm the seconds coach at Guildford. Is he 7a or 7b?

Comment

Don't they still make them do sports training after school? As for running around being exhausted, last time I checked Guilford has a train station practically outside its front gates.
              Sport of some kind or the other was simply routine for everyone at school when I was younger and I am surprised to hear that has changed in only 15 odd years.
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                I'm the seconds coach at Guildford. Is he 7a or 7b?
                oh fuck. serious? hahahahha.

Comment

Pretty sure my mate does 7A's (Brian) with the aid of another mate Tony (ex student) or could be James Embley. Can never remember. 10 teams at Guildford this year.

I do 11/12's second team.

Comment

I'm one of three kids and we were each allowed one sport per year, we all did baseball/tball (lucky for mum, less running around!). But we also lived on acreage so we could have adventures in the bush to our hearts content. The amount of times I made forts and dug cubby holes.. ah the memories

Another thing mum did was that if we chose to start something (anything from an art project, to trying a new sport), we had to finish out the season of that something, no quitting half way through cos we didn't like it. And we knew this before we chose it. That put me in good stead for my life I think; when uni was pretty shit I knew that quitting wasn't an option cos I'd committed to the degree...
                    >>I like to play with snakes<<

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Comment

When my kids were young we only committed to one sport, I suppose it was a pretty heavy commitment driving all over the state and occasionally country for events. Both kids played the same one which halved the running around. Eventually they went separate ways but that was pretty much just before they got their driving licences.

I was reading this just the other day.

HYPER-SCHEDULING by parents is running children ragged and can seriously harm their development, says the NSW minister for family and community services.

Launching a fact sheet for parents, Pru Goward has warned of the health risks to children who take part in too many extracurricular activities.

"Children need time to relax, have fun and play games," the minister said. "Child psychologists have recognised that we are putting too much pressure on our children...

"We are not allowing our children enough time for unstructured play which helps them to learn, occupy themselves and express their personalities."

Ms Goward has said children who are hyper-scheduled often show signs of stress, including fatigue, irritability and disturbed sleep.

If this happens, she has urged parents to reduce the number of activities their children participate in each week.

Parents need to strike a balance between planned activities and downtime, she said.

"While involving your children in activities keeps them active and provides them with positive experiences, it is important to remember that having some downtime is just as important," the minister added.

"Too many activities can mean less family time and, sadly, this can have an adverse effect on relationships."

Stress caused by over-commitment is an issue recognised internationally, with child psychologists labelling the phenomena "over-scheduling", "hyper-scheduling" or "hyper-parenting".

Ms Goward said that over-commitment can also lead to stress in parents as a result of the financial costs and time pressures of each activity.

Hyper-scheduling: Tips for parents

- Listen to and monitor your child, looking for signs of exhaustion or irritability.
                      - Talk to your child about the activities they love and the ones they could live without.
                      - Discuss which activity your child could give up to allow them some downtime.
                      - Question whether it is you or your child who want to be involved in the activities.
                      - Limit your child to a certain number of activities, such as two a week.
                      - Learn to say no and set limits.
                      - Set aside time for family downtime.
                      - Don't sacrifice your own well-being by rushing children about.
                      -

Comment

one summer sport, one winter sport. Kids won't be stressed unless you are forcing them to do something they don't enjoy.

Comment

The only thing mandatory for my kids is swimming lessons once a week. (Thankfully they both enjoy it). OTher than that its their choice. My little one only does guitar lessons once a week We tried him on teeball / baseball but he just couldnt get into the team mentality thing as he was a good 2 years younger than the rest of his team so he got picked on quite a bit for not being as good. But he is still active as heck, Its hard to get him to come inside.

The eldest does drums the same day as little mans guitar lessons, He also does karate twice a week which he absolutely loves. In summer it is his choice whether or not he plays baseball. If he chooses to then our weeks get a bit hectic but he doesnt show any signs of burning out so it cant be all bad I guess.

It comes down to the kids and the parents. As long as its something the kids enjoy I dont think there can really be an adverse effect.

Comment

I used to do Athletics, we were only really allowed to do two activities at a time due to the money required!
                            I'm almost finishing high school now and it was a choice between work or activities- activities didn't give me money. But I wish I could do both....

Comment

I don't think most restrictions are from the kids side, my parents HAD to limit us to 2 activities each due to their own time, we wanted to do it all!

Comment

Working...
                              X