Need virus/spyware help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need virus/spyware help

My computer is knackered, has some sorta spyware/virus, keeps popping up ads everywhere, and a thing on my taskbar says i have spyware, which is spyware itself cos it goes to a spyware site.

I have used adaware, spybot, and the latest mcafee, but it doesnt get rid of it.

Any ideas short of pissing the whole lot off and starting again?

I'm a computer reject, but someone once helped me by telling me to turn off system restore, boot in safe mode and then run your anti virus software......worked for me

Comment

I'm guessing that you use Internet Explorer. Try Mozilla Firefox instead - limits spyware/adware and popups because all of that is inbuit. You don't need to install extra stuff to block these things.

Firefox: http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...=win&lang=en-US

If that doesn&#39;t work, back up your stuff and reformat the whold HDD, reinstall Windows. <_<

Comment

follow the steps here: meow

I had a problem like that last week.. spy sherrif or something. I ended up downloading AVG Free Edition, Webroot&#39;s Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware SE, Trojan Hunter, Spybot S&D, and Hijack This.

I also run Opera now as my browser..
        You cant mess up that which you were born to do.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Comment

seconding the booting up in safe mode, then running adaware, virus scanner, spybot, may have to run it a few times but that will generally do it, make sure all the definitions are up to date as well

edit: also if you&#39;re running XP make sure you&#39;re got service pack 2 and have your firewall turned on

Comment

Cheers guys, will give it a go now.

Comment

ive heard spy ware docter and adaware are great knows ppl that use them both and dont have any problems also get rid of interent explorer for firefox

Is Dead

Comment

Originally posted by mystery@Dec 12 2005, 05:31 PM
                My computer is knackered, has some sorta spyware/virus, keeps popping up ads everywhere, and a thing on my taskbar says i have spyware, which is spyware itself cos it goes to a spyware site.

I have used adaware, spybot, and the latest mcafee, but it doesnt get rid of it.

Any ideas short of pissing the whole lot off and starting again?
                [snapback]201547[/snapback]
                Sounds like the trojan I had - Sinnakaw32 or somethingorother. Is there a file called "st3.dll" in your system folder??

Comment

I can&#39;t believe how many chicks are such NERDS

Originally posted by maya@Dec 12 2005, 06:46 PM
                  I&#39;m guessing that you use Internet Explorer.* Try Mozilla Firefox instead - limits spyware/adware and popups because all of that is inbuit.* You don&#39;t need to install extra stuff to block these things.

Firefox:* http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firef...in〈=en-US

If that doesn&#39;t work, back up your stuff and reformat the whold HDD, reinstall Windows.* <_<
                  [snapback]201564[/snapback]

Comment

noadaware 4 from lavasoft is the shiizzznitzz

but you have to reg for it delete all this shit it finds.. but

http://www.astalavista.com/ loves you.

edit : also as others said make sre you disable system restore and clear any system restore backups. As spyware/trojans etc hide in there and are protected

Comment

I think I may have gotten rid of it, but my taskbar has reverted to the old style windows, and the display settings wont let me change it back, any hints?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Windows reinstall, have fun
                        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

seems to be going around, i&#39;ve had serious problems with my comp&#39; all last week and still cant solve it

i&#39;ve tried all the stuff suggested here (cant use HijackThis as it doesnt connect at all) i think its time for a new HD(good excuse for an upgrade ), also where&#39;s the best place to buy XP/norton (PLE will only sell if you buy a comp&#39; <_< )

sorry mystery but i thought better to jump on your thread than start another

Comment

I followed everything in wulphs post and it seemed to work, that cleanup program link was great, gained a heap of disk space.
                            Try downloading those programs from another computer and run them.

Comment

Working...
                            X