need help recording to pc..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help recording to pc..

ok my dad really wants to get his old record/tape collection onto cd.

i need to know what/how etc to get his so called cool music onto a pc in any format from there i can piss easy burn to cd

is it a matter of usiing windows recoreder and my "line in" input?
    i do want these in stereo surrond though

cheers
    RIP Scott!
    RIP Onikage!
    RIP ODDZ!

Originally posted by Disco Frank@Dec 17 2005, 08:40 AM
    ok my dad really wants to get his old record/tape collection onto cd.

i need to know what/how etc to get his so called cool music onto a pc in any format from there i can piss easy burn to cd

is it a matter of usiing windows recoreder and my "line in" input?
    i do want these in stereo surrond though

cheers
    [snapback]203486[/snapback]
    If your old man has an old turn-table then you will need a phono pre-amp between the turn-table and PC's sound card. The Phono pre-amp is a must otherwise you will record shit.

Dick Smith/Tandy sell a turntable for around the $100 mark that has the pre-amp built in - I have no idea what the stylus quality is like though.

You will need software better than Windows recorder to digitise any length of wave files.

If you want the recordings in surround then just play the recorded files though Windows Media Player and turn on the SRS Wow effects - or if you have a Creative Sound card turn on the CMSS effects - makes a HUGE difference to the dimension of the recording.
    I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

yeah, WHS.

Also, beware that Windows sound recorder only records for a maximum of 60 seconds, I believe
      Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
      (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

I use a program called Goldwave to record and edit sound files. It lets you see the sound, which makes it easier to find the starts and ends of tracks when you divide and LP up into each song.

Comment

Originally posted by shrike@Dec 17 2005, 10:35 AM
          Also, beware that Windows sound recorder only records for a maximum of 60 seconds, I believe
          [snapback]203518[/snapback]
          Yeah, I couldn't remember how long it was, but what ever it is it is not long enough.

There are freeware audio apps out there - even free ones that will encode MP3 - but record as a wave file at 16bit 44.1 kHz for CD Audio and compress afterwards.

Comment

------

Comment

Originally posted by Magenta Tiger@Dec 17 2005, 04:47 PM
              Just get a list of the songs and download them???
              [snapback]203605[/snapback]
              I guess, but you know how it is - you have an album on vinyl that you really love but you can't find it on CD. I have a couple of 'Best Of...' records, but for the life of me have never found the same mix of tracks on a CD compilation - you get so used to hearing songs in a particular order that it just isn't right listening to different recordings/mixes/tracks in different orders. But some peole don't care what order they hear the tracks, so depends what you are after I suppose...

Comment

There was a how-to guide on C-net a few months ago with all the steps you needed to do just this.

EDIT: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-5127168.html

Comment

cheers gusy for the help

no way of gettign these songs on the net or cd from what my dad has said
                  RIP Scott!
                  RIP Onikage!
                  RIP ODDZ!

Comment

a program called cdwave is pretty good

i run a good turntable (rega 3) through a good phono amp (parasound zphono) to the inputs on my soundcard.

doesnt sound to bad at all, but it is time consuming

Comment

whats a phono amp?

Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Originally posted by punx@Jan 5 2006, 07:41 AM
                        whats a phono amp?
                        [snapback]209679[/snapback]
                        Actually it's a 'phono pre-amp' - you need it to pre-amplify the signal from the turntable into the soundcard otherwise it will sound like thin noisy crap.

Comment

If you're still having issues, I hear Microsoft "Plus!" pack for Windows XP actually has a music recorder specifically designed for recording to MP3/WMA off tapes and LPs.

Something to check out, at any rate.
                          Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
                          (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

---

Comment

so i can use the amp that goes in between the record player and speakers
                              or do i need some special pre amp thing

Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Working...
                              X