question regarding psp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question regarding psp

hi ive recently bought a psp for chrissie and i was wondering if all that was needed to get it on the net (has built in 802 network and browser (v2)) was a wireless network card on my pc (currently have 2 pc's runing xp prof sp2 on a wired 10/100 lan, dial up net through modem on one comp shared to the other comp). soooo if i was to put a wireless card on comp1 (one with the net) and keep the 10/100 lan for the other computer, would it be able to comunicate to the psp fine?

all the refrences on the net mention wireless router which personaly would be alot dearer as i would also have to get to wireless cards (plus comp2 has no pci ports free)

another question, a while ago i was pretty sure i saw a wireless network card that wasnt a card it just plugged into a usb port, do these exist or was i imaging things.

any help greatly apreciated

ps tried it at a maccas and works all right all things considering
    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

You can do a (what looks like flimsy) wireless card -> wireless card connection, so you should be able to set one of your pcs up with an ethernet card (which it already has) and a wireless card and use that computer as a gateway between your psp and the rest of your network.

HOWEVER, it depends on your interests. AFAIK, you cant really put decent security measures in place if you use your pc as an access point, and then if you switch your computer off (or it breaks), bam, no more wireless.

The simple option here is a wireless access point, you can pick them up for $30 off ebay, and its a little box that sits somewhere, uses fark all power, and broadcasts all the time (and you can set up with some decent security).

As well, if you were to set up a wireless router, you could still retain your ethernet network on the other computers? (wireless routers still have a 4 port switch in them), and yes, you can get a usb wireless network device. They're about as expensive as a regular wireless card.

P.S. If this doesn't make sense to you, I can do callouts to set it up for you, or you can pm me and I'll try to explain it clearer.

Comment

keeping all this in mind then ill think ill go down the path of a wireless router buuutttt only if i can keep sharing the net from one computer through the router to the other comp's, no reason why not is their? im also guesing a wireless router would be the better option long term too.

thanks for you advice

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore@Dec 31 2005, 03:42 PM
        keeping all this in mind then ill think ill go down the path of a wireless router buuutttt only if i can keep sharing the net from one computer through the router to the other comp's, no reason why not is their? im also guesing a wireless router would be the better option long term too.

thanks for you advice
        [snapback]208164[/snapback]
        No no, see, routers act as a gateway. Which means, the router gets the internet connection, and shares it to the other computers. So your computer isnt in charge of the net anymore, the router is. (which usually works out better, because you can shut your computer down and still have net connectivity)

Comment

Lee, Falcore is using dial-up and I'm not if there's many routers that will hook up to a dial up modem (serial connection)? There is a Netgear (FR328?) that has serial port for dialup fallback but that's an expensive router still.

Falcore have you considered getting ADSL?

Comment

Oh. :o

I sometimes forget people still use dial-up.

Either way, I haven't tried, but I'm pretty certain you could configure a router for its switch/wireless connectivity and still retain your computer as the gateway, and then when you DO feel like getting adsl, just set the router up to do everything?

But that opens up a few options, if you're running dialup no ones going to want to leech off your wireless connection, which means you could probably just buy a wireless network card and set your computer up as dialup gateway/wireless access point.

Comment

was going to get adsl but something about the phone line to the house is stuffed and big dollars plus renting (ie not worth spending the money so stuff it) so im still using dial up, not that bad once used to it anyway.

sooo im guessing ill stick with the wireless network card option not to fussed about security (personal stuff) as their is none on the computer directly on the net only the 2nd one which is firewalled to the buggery, and why would you bother trying to hack it when you could just break in? i assume the range of wireless networks isnt that far so they would have to be close.

Comment

I got bored and did some googling on this topic. It seems you can setup the PSP on an adhoc wireless connection and simply connect to a wireless NIC in your PC (using ICS). Check these couple of links for some further info on the setup:

http://www.pspcrazy.com/wifihack.htm

http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649

http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6322 (FAQ, with a link to a list of compatible wireless NIC's)

(xkailink looks like it lets you play multiplayer over the net, although at dialup speeds I wouldnt bother)

If your planning on getting DSL later on then a wireless router might be a better option (they are relatively cheap, a nice Linksys WRT54G is about $100), a router would also offer better range as well.

You are looking at roughly $50+ for a wireless NIC, probably a bit more for a USB jobbie, check places like Netplus Micro, Austins and PLE.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

you can use a router as a switch and use windoze net sharing over it still afaik
                  Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

dood.. it's a piece of piss if you want to get a wireless router and still use a computer as a gateway. As you set it up, it'll all make sense.
                    Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

Working...
                    X