nerd needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nerd needed

these computer things are really startin to piss me off.
    updated the driver for my vid card 2day, rebooted, and now i've lost both my dvd drives. tried re-installing the drivers, tried un-installing and re-installing the dvd-r's in hardware manager, tried re-booting again...aaaaaaargh!!
    what the fuk is going on with this thing?
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

This may sound stupid (and I may get abused) But the 'System Restore' tool in Windows XP can sometimes work.

Give it a try:
    Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
    Select Earlier time, next and the select the day before you did driver update.

If there arent any restore points (or you are not WinXP), you will need to do all the 'regular' troubleshooting stuff.

Give that a try and see if it works.

**Note: Although I am not the biggest tech, I am a Nerd and although its against all I was taught, this tool has helped me and a few others before.

Comment

consider your response justified.
      i was thinking about sys rest, then forgot about it til you mentioned it. cheers
      "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum@Jan 2 2006, 10:49 PM
        these computer things are really startin to piss me off.
        updated the driver for my vid card 2day, rebooted, and now i've lost both my dvd drives. tried re-installing the drivers, tried un-installing and re-installing the dvd-r's in hardware manager, tried re-booting again...aaaaaaargh!!
        what the fuk is going on with this thing?
        [snapback]208895[/snapback]
        we need more information buddy

when you say dvd drives dissapeared, have they dissapeared under "my computer" ?

Have they dissapeared under the device manager, or perhaps now have a red cross against them (driver not installed or device unplugged).

Comment

Im with pkunk, need more info mate.

First thing I would try is to rollback the drivers on the video card as it was only after performing the upgrade that the problems started (right click on the video adaptor in device manager, select properties, click the "Driver" tab and then hit the "Roll Back Driver" button). A windows system restore will do basically the same, roll the drivers back on all devices to when the last restore point was made.

If the drives are not appearing in device manager (and obviously not in My Computer) then check the BIOS (usually tap delete or an F key as it boots) and confirm the drives are being detected and are enabled.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
          your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

i'd already tried the rollback thingy, didn't work.

probably shoulda bin clearer with my response to sammytrailor, in that i'd sorted the problem out. thanks for trying anyway

Comment

Working...
            X