Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater HELP sorta

Howdy,

Scored a free set of 5 speakers and a sub woofer from one of those "combi dvd and speaker sets" Model: LXCH2-47, Brand LG, anyway, all legit, guy at work gave em to me.

Anyway, I've just got a "normal" DVD player, and I'm just wondering if anyone hows how to hook these badboys up?

I have minimal wires as the guy had to cut up a bunch of them to fix up his existing system. Im just wondering do I need a "receiver and amplifier" to connect these to the DVD player, and if so will any generic type work?

Also what sort of wires would I need, it seems that the speakers connect with the standard "red / black" exposed wire setup (yeah technical term there... <_< ) vs RCA&#39;s or is that solely dependent on whether I need a receiver/amp and what type I get.

back of DVD

back of speaker

thanks

Originally posted by snowman95@Jan 12 2006, 08:01 PM
    do I need a "receiver and amplifier" to connect these to the DVD player, and if so will any generic type work?
    [snapback]213809[/snapback]
    Yes and yes

thanks
    No probs
    I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

What would a receiver/amp set me back (2nd hand?)

Comment

Originally posted by snowman95@Jan 12 2006, 08:15 PM
        What would a receiver/amp set me back (2nd hand?)
        [snapback]213815[/snapback]
        You can get cheap 5.1 amps (no tuner) for around $100 from Strathfield - really depends how much money you want to spend

Comment

Anyway, I&#39;ve just got a "normal" DVD player, and I&#39;m just wondering if anyone hows how to hook these badboys up?

I have minimal wires as the guy had to cut up a bunch of them to fix up his existing system. Im just wondering do I need a "receiver and amplifier" to connect these to the DVD player, and if so will any generic type work?

Also what sort of wires would I need, it seems that the speakers connect with the standard "red / black" exposed wire setup (yeah technical term there... <_< ) vs RCA&#39;s or is that solely dependent on whether I need a receiver/amp and what type I get.

thanks
          OK. Well normally the 5.1 systems are &#39;active&#39;, meaning they contain their own amplifier (so it can be used with an iPod, computer etc). The amplifier is normally built into the subwoofer box. (A picture of the back of that would help) This should be all you need.

Step 1. If the sub does indeed contain the amplifier, it needs power - and should have a power cord coming out of it... so we&#39;re good there.

Step 2. Connect your 5 satellite speakers to the sub/amp using either the more common little snap shut connectors (like on the back of the speaker) or in bigger systems, RCAs.

At this point we should have all our speakers joined up to the sub/amp, power TO the sub/amp... The only thing we don&#39;t have is a signal from the source (DVD) to the sub/amp.

Now depending on how complicated the system is, the &#39;audio in&#39; might be RCA or 3.5mm headphone jack... if it plugs straight into the sub/amp, or if it has a control box (this would sit between the source and your sub/amp) , there may be an optical input as well (I noticed you&#39;ve got an optical out on your DVD player).

Connect the Audio Out (red and white RCA - Or optical) on your DVD player to the audio in on the control box or sub/amp.

Various wires required depending on your system:
          • Dual male RCA (red/white) -> dual male RCA (red/white)
          • Dual male RCA (red/white) -> 3.5mm stereo jack
          • Optical cable

Comment

Originally posted by S2-Ahh@Jan 12 2006, 08:24 PM
            AWESOME INFO
            [snapback]213818[/snapback]

Looks like I&#39;ve got a &#39;passive&#39; system, woofer doesnt have a power cable

It&#39;s starting to sound like it wouldn&#39;t be "worth it" to buy a receiver/amp for what amounts to being a cheap (albit free and new) set of speakers and woofer, when these combo theater packs are only about $300....whats your opinion s2-ahh?

Comment

Dayem, so much typing, so little help

Crap... looks like in the combo, the DVD player (that the dude presumably kept) may have had the amp...

So, as Tiger said, you do now need an amp of sorts capable of decoding 5.1 or 6.1 sound.

Comment

I really appreciate that info you gave up, enlightening!

can you get amp / receiver combos?

Comment

back of subwoofer looks like this

Comment

Additionally... if you&#39;re thinking of getting an amp anywhere around the $350 mark let me suggest something. Ditch the whole lot.

Do yourself a favour and BUY THIS!!

Buy a Logitech 5.1 THX certified active system. Seriously, I have these and have talked ppl out of spending $3k. these - are - the - bomb!

They are getting old now so might not be that easy to track down... but Logitech still have the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital.

THX (LucasFilm) certified, Dolby surround, AC3, compatible.

Loud... no I don&#39;t think you understand. LOUD. Clear, powerful and just amazing for $350. For the price you pay you will seriously have a WTF look splattered all over your face when you crank it up.

Do it. Do it Now!

Comment

What are you going to be using the speakers for? Home theatre in your lounge room?

Comment

actually ive already got a surround sound setup thing for the computer it was obviously just a shit load less complicated than a DVD / TV one

Comment

Originally posted by tigerleo62@Jan 12 2006, 08:42 PM
                          What are you going to be using the speakers for? Home theatre in your lounge room?
                          [snapback]213832[/snapback]
                          Well yeah, I figured if I could get a basic setup going for the tv/dvd i&#39;d be stoaked, (and being given a bunch of new speakers, I wasn&#39;t going to look a gift horse in the mouth) I&#39;m not an A/V aficionado, but some decent sounds would be a bonus

Comment

Unless the satelites speakers are good quality (do they weigh much at all, or light as piss?) then, yeah, ditch them and buy an all in one system if you aren&#39;t planning on hooking too much stuff up to it and it isn&#39;t for a large room.

BTW - a 5.1 amp won&#39;t be any good for your passive sub-woofer as the .1 (bass bit) of the amplifier is just a signal out, and not a speaker output.

Comment

Originally posted by snowman95@Jan 12 2006, 08:43 PM
                              actually ive already got a surround sound setup thing for the computer it was obviously just a shit load less complicated than a DVD / TV one
                              [snapback]213834[/snapback]
                              No no nooooooooooooooo

I know they say they are computer speakers... but they are just wasted on a PC.

Like I said, I&#39;ve got two other ppl around to my house to have a look at DVDs on this setup and they look terrified and excited at the same time when they leave.

It was an instant sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X