• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowman95
    started a topic Home Theater HELP sorta

Home Theater HELP sorta

Howdy,

Scored a free set of 5 speakers and a sub woofer from one of those "combi dvd and speaker sets" Model: LXCH2-47, Brand LG, anyway, all legit, guy at work gave em to me.

Anyway, I've just got a "normal" DVD player, and I'm just wondering if anyone hows how to hook these badboys up?

I have minimal wires as the guy had to cut up a bunch of them to fix up his existing system. Im just wondering do I need a "receiver and amplifier" to connect these to the DVD player, and if so will any generic type work?

Also what sort of wires would I need, it seems that the speakers connect with the standard "red / black" exposed wire setup (yeah technical term there... <_< ) vs RCA&#39;s or is that solely dependent on whether I need a receiver/amp and what type I get.

back of DVD

back of speaker

thanks

• tigerleo
    replied
    You need to have a 6 channel analogue out on a DVD Audio player to play DVD Audio at the moment so I have my DVD player hooked up with both 6 channal analogue and Digital. Switching between the 2 does give a different sound - I find the digital to be much brighter but on the other hand the bass is fuller on the analogue. On my amp the 6 channel input is clean and doesn&#39;t go throught any DSP stuff, so it tends to sound less compressed any how.

I use 30 to 40 buck cables, so noise created by the short run between the devices is not an issue when using analogue inputs on the amp. But having said that, I mainly use the digital connections as my amp will auto switch on the digital inputs, which just makes life a little easier

Leave a comment:

• MisterP
    replied
    Originally posted by tigerleo62+Jan 13 2006, 09:59 AM-->
    You will if your DVD player and amp have 6 (or more) analogue channel outputs/inputs. Frank Prowse HiFi is an advocate (or was) of using analogue inter-connects rather than digital.
    [/b]
    Ahh, yeah forgot some DVD players do the decoding of the digital signal internally, and then split them into discreet outputs. I havent had any experience with this type of setup, but the old digital ~ analogue discussion gets raised (quality etc etc). My experience analogue is much more susceptible to noise and bad cables joints. Digital signals (esp optical) dont have any such problems.

<!--QuoteBegin-tigerleo62
    @Jan 13 2006, 09:59 AM
    And yes - a stereo connector will give you Pro-Logic - front left, centre, and mono rears but no dedicated LFE for the sub - the low frequencies are just filtered using the amplifier&#39;s and/or sub&#39;s low pass filter. Though Prologic 2 was supposed to seperate the rears I thought?
    [snapback]214061[/snapback]
    You could be right with Prologic II, I really dont know, but i do know that until I used digital outputs (optical/co-ax) my AV amp used to output the soundtrack as mono rears. As soon as I setup using optical, hey presto a noice Dolby digital 5.1 system with a load more grunt and quality.
    DTS audio is just amazing on a 5.1 system..makes your hairs stand on end with a good track.

Leave a comment:

• tigerleo
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterP@Jan 13 2006, 09:05 AM
    Worth remembering that you wont get Dolby Digital (5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 and above) or DTS without using an TOSlink (optical) or a Co-ax connection. 2 x RCA cables from the back of your DVD will give you Dolby Pro-logic (2 independant fronts, mono rears and a centre (I think) but no dedicated sub output)if your AV receiver decodes it correctly.

[snapback]214032[/snapback]
    You will if your DVD player and amp have 6 (or more) analogue channel outputs/inputs. Frank Prowse HiFi is an advocate (or was) of using analogue inter-connects rather than digital.

And yes - a stereo connector will give you Pro-Logic - front left, centre, and mono rears but no dedicated LFE for the sub - the low frequencies are just filtered using the amplifier&#39;s and/or sub&#39;s low pass filter. Though Prologic 2 was supposed to seperate the rears I thought?

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    Totally agree with Mr P. I had a cheapish setup originally which consisted of an old pioneer 4 channel amp and a set of Leak monitors which were good. Have since upgraded to a Yamaha rxv2500 amp and Whatmough 5.1 (www.whatmough.com.au) setup and can honestly say it is fantastic. But then again you have to look at the difference in price $400 to $6000, you&#39;d expect some difference. If you can afford it the Logitech stuff may well be worth your while. All comes down to your budget, but them little dinky 5.1&#39;s from Retravision etc are absolute $hit and a waste of money.

Leave a comment:

• MisterP
    replied
    Advocate of expensive audio systems here!!

In the end of the day, you get what you pay for in my opinion.
    Decent speakers with decent AV receiver and you`ll get decent results and decent useage from them.

Worth remembering that you wont get Dolby Digital (5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 and above) or DTS without using an TOSlink (optical) or a Co-ax connection. 2 x RCA cables from the back of your DVD will give you Dolby Pro-logic (2 independant fronts, mono rears and a centre (I think) but no dedicated sub output)if your AV receiver decodes it correctly.

My advise, search the quokka, get a recentish Yamaha or if you can afford it Onkyo or Marantz AV receiver (dont bother with the mainstream low to middle range Sony or Pioneer stuff as they are all bling and no guts) and some decentish speakers. You`ll never look back and the system will see you right for 5 years plus.

Otherwise keep it cheap and stick with what you got. Theres no point throwing money after something that you were given for free to get average results.

My 4.33333c

Leave a comment:

• horse
    replied
    Originally posted by S2-Ahh@Jan 12 2006, 08:39 PM
    They are getting old now so might not be that easy to track down... but Logitech still have the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital.
    [snapback]213829[/snapback]
    if you want one of these then PLE have them for $469

Leave a comment:

• sammytrailor
    replied
    Originally posted by S2-Ahh@Jan 12 2006, 08:39 PM

They are getting old now so might not be that easy to track down... but Logitech still have the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital.

THX (LucasFilm) certified, Dolby surround, AC3, compatible.

Loud... no I don&#39;t think you understand. LOUD. Clear, powerful and just amazing for $350. For the price you pay you will seriously have a WTF look splattered all over your face when you crank it up.

Do it. Do it Now!
    [snapback]213829[/snapback]

I have a set of these and am absolutely blown away. On about 3/4 volume with teh sub set to about the same, I just about rattled the light fitting out of my roof (no word of a lie). Also, Made dog vomit and VERY distressed (not intended, shut it off as soon as I realised). I find the sound great for games (as its on my computer), movies,action movies are great, but I hear all the little things you miss between sounds in most movies. Music is great.

Some people may want to crank down the sub as the bass can get a bit overpowering. The Sub is quite heavy (so if you want to get them, dont try and carry them through the city like I did, nor from London Court to the concert hall).

Although I&#39;m not the biggest Audiophile, I&#39;m more than happy with this. Why not buy a media-center as well? They are getting really cheap now, DVD, Divx, Internet, Audio, the lot. Or you can hook it up to a modded Xbox and do the same thing

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Originally posted by barfridge@Jan 12 2006, 10:32 PM
    The logitech z-680&#39;s are fantastic if all you want is boomy explosions and lots of overblown rumble. Great for action movies, but shitty for music.

But horses for courses, they do what they&#39;re designed to do, and quite well too.
    [snapback]213915[/snapback]
    Put it on &#39;Stereo x2&#39; and drop the sub level back.

Easy peasy

Leave a comment:

• Barfridge
    replied
    The logitech z-680&#39;s are fantastic if all you want is boomy explosions and lots of overblown rumble. Great for action movies, but shitty for music.

But horses for courses, they do what they&#39;re designed to do, and quite well too.

Leave a comment:

• tigerleo
    replied
    Originally posted by snowman95@Jan 12 2006, 10:01 PM
    Hmmm and then a cheap receiver from strathfields or something...
    [snapback]213900[/snapback]
    What you can do with the sub is drive two of the satelite speakers until you get more money together for the 5.1 amp

Leave a comment:

• snowman95
    replied
    Originally posted by tigerleo62@Jan 12 2006, 09:58 PM
    Found the Dick Smith 10" sub - $149 - nice little sub for the price - have one myself for the computer room...* click me
    [snapback]213897[/snapback]
    Hmmm and then a cheap receiver from strathfields or something...

Leave a comment:

• tigerleo
    replied
    Found the Dick Smith 10" sub - $149 - nice little sub for the price - have one myself for the computer room... click me

Leave a comment:

• snowman95
    replied
    ok

Plan a)
    Purchase seperate AMP / RECEIVER units to make use of existing passive speakers / sub @

a.1 - Expensive (Decent components) to run shit speakers
    a.2 - Cheap (Cheap components to run shit speakers but still costing ~$300 - ie more than I want to spend)

Plan

All in one system unit
    ~$300.00

Plan c)

Sell speakers for $5 and profit

Plan d)

Watch cartoons and worry about it later

Leave a comment:

• tigerleo
    replied
    Originally posted by snowman95@Jan 12 2006, 09:18 PM
    if you have some magical plan lemme know!~
    [snapback]213871[/snapback]
    Not for $100 bucks seeing as how you would also need a powered sub. The other thing is if you haven&#39;t got any audio cables and speaker wire that is also going to add to the cost. But I wouldn&#39;t go out and buy a $100 all in one type system.

As I mentioned, you can get cheap 5.1 amps with very minimal features and Dick Smith every so often sells their DSE brand 10" active sub-woofers for around $170 (not listed on the site at the moment tho&#39 so with the 5 satelite speakers you have you would be a little under $300. Then for that price you would probably find a reasonable all in one type system...

You could just buy a 5.1 amp to start with, but those satelite speakers without a sub-woofer will sound shit

You could scout around Cash Converters and see if you can find a cheap powered sub - OR find a cheap amp to power the passive sub you have. But it would be a bit of a bitsa system and you could end up throwing money at it to get it sounding reasonable. Perhaps best to save up for a decent 5.1 system if you have your heart set on HT in your lounge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X