No announcement yet.

Camping megathread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tent. Alps Extreme. 3 man not so light but I like lots of room for my gear. Doors on both sides. Has a rain fly that goes right to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
      My very modest list of gear includes:
      Black Wolf Turbo Plus 240
      Um, no, it's a Black Wolf Turbo Lite Plus 270 Tent

More 'lite' and an extra 30.

It's a bit different to what I used to have:

In some ways I think it is better, you can close one of the sides and there is more enclosed space to sit if you need shelter.
      The Black Wolf doesn't really have any (unless you get the basecamp fly - if it even fits this tent). Which is another 'thing' and takes up more room in the car.

The Seascape is actually a pretty good tent. Not entirely sure why I 'upgraded'... Damn promotional TVs in BCF! I just wanted to buy some chairs!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rhino; 17-12-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

What gear have you got?
        Oztent RV2
        ARB 47L Fridge/Freezer
        Car Awning

What gear is awesome?
        Oztents
        ARB Fridge/Freezers
        Engels
        Foxwing Awning
        LED camp lights
        Well built camper trailers

What gear would you stay away from?
        Dome tents, cheap camping gear.

Found a favourite spot you'd like to share? 2WD or 4WD accessible.
        I won't tell you my favourite... because it's mine but down south around lake jasper and the nearby beaches is great.

Great 'lite' equipment.
        If God wanted us to hike, he wouldn't have invented 4WDs.

Comment

Nice

I just did a trial run to set up the new tent, water it down and get a feel for it.
          Letting it dry while I psych myself up to get it packed away so thought I'd report in.

First impressions

Size
          It.is.huge.
          The Black Wolf Turbo Lite 270 Plus is large. The bag weighs nearly 20kg!
          Massive amounts of living space inside it. I thought we would use the 'plus' bit for our bags and stuff, but it's big enough to put the queen size bed in, leaving 270x270 free for anything else. Tent party!
          Internally, I love this tent before even using it. It could fit me and the missus and a mate extremely comfortably, with the 'plus' having a room divider / privacy screen.
          Or, the sister in-law and her two kids. It will sleep 5 adults with ease.
          I took a photo of my other half sitting in it, and she looks totally lost in the vastness of it.
          I almost think it's too big.
          I'm not tall, about 5'7", but I can stand beneath the awning and inside the tent without crouching.

Ease of use, setup
          Unless you have a 'pop up' tent (like car windscreen shades), there is no such thing as a quick tent.
          This was my first time putting it up, so I was taking my time, and walking around saying, "it's fookin huge" *stare*
          The inner tent IS quick. And that's what they market. It's the fly that always takes the time. Keep that in mind when purchasing and don't pay purely for the '1-minute setup'.
          I think if I just got to it, it would be 15-20 minutes.

Quality
          Tents have come a long way since I bought my first one.
          This one looks extremely durable with thick rip-stop material that is waterproof (not just the fly).
          The stitching is tape sealed which is pretty standard, but it's a bit messy in places where they double stitched (stitch in reverse) to finish off. They didn't overlap properly or there's loose threads in places.
          The aluminium frame with locking knuckles looks like good quality gear and it is very tight and stable.
          The guy ropes have pockets stitched into the fly so they're always at hand and kept neat and tidy.

General observations
          The fly doesn't cover the whole tent like my old one. On my old tent, the tent was not water proof at all. And the fly covered the inner tent entirely.
          On the Turbo Lite Plus, the only bits that aren't water proof on the inner tent, are two vents in the top at the centre (you can close them, but they close from the inside), otherwise - as you can see from the pic above - it's largely exposed.
          It provides more external shelter than the picture shows (because the tent itself is so big), but more would be nice.
          If I bought the base-camp addon - if it even fits this tent - it would be insanely big!

Negatives
          Having not properly used it yet, I can't really say.
          But, I've read that on this particular tent, you can choose to leave the 'plus' bit dismantled if you're short on space or time, but there is nothing to restrain it if it gets windy, and it tends to flap around.

Looking forward to getting away in the new year. It will certainly make a good touring tent or 'base camp' tent when staying in a place more than a night.
          Moving this thing daily would not be fun.

Comment

You will get your time down when putting the tent up once you have done it a few times.
            We have a very large tent we use when not using the camper trailer (more we used it before the camper trailer), and we can get that up in around 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer. View Post
              ARB 47L Fridge/Freezer
              How are you finding it? This is the other fridge I am considering along with the Bushman.

Comment

I just changed my roof top tent around to the rear of my car. It was abit fiddly over the front. So will be interesting to see how it goes.

Comment

My new toy in 2012. Im not a camper by nature...I need airconditioning and a shower...and a telly, and a comfy bed and a flushing toilet and hot shower....Im low maintenance like that
                  Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                  hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Base Stations are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
                      Base Stations are awesome!
                      I got the Work and Play. Bit smaller than the Base , but 10 grand cheaper and the ramp area shown is a self raising roof. We hang under there in the heat when there is no power in the scrub . Can get a full sized bike in still.
                      Has a ramp that goes in the back to load bikes on with. Is a different floor plan , but seems similar in room in the front as it's bigger brother.

Cool thing about the Base is that 2 big bikes can be carried and has a tool box integrated into the front section.

Both are surprisingly sturdy in big storms, ours survived a big blow in Exmouth this year that hurt a few 'full' vans , and we slept in the fold out bed in the front.

Just remember Fastgirl , once you get one , you won't go back!
                      Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post
                        Just remember Fastgirl , once you get one , you won't go back!
                        I had the pleasure of borrowing a mates basestation for a weekend a few years ago...and I was blown away. Ever since, Ive had it in my head that its the one. With three kids and a hubby who's a passionate camper/dirtbike rider its our only option TBH. With the basestaion we can have two sets of bunks that fold away and the storage capacity is amazing. We'll be adding a few more bits n pieces to make it a bit more like a home away from home...but yeah...pretty excited.
                        Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                        hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

We just came back from a week or so down south in an jayco expanda. Aircon and microwave and other stuff is nice, but it's damn heavy and exxy.

We're planning on buying an off-road camper trailer in the next 12mths. Something like a www.trackabout.com.au system or TruBlu campers.

Comment

Is there a 'best way' to orientate your tent?
                            Or not so important?

On another sad note. Did a trial run last night and the air mattress has a leak in it. Boo!

Was looking at the Black Wolf Mega Deluxe self inflating mattress but not sure how well it will hold up on unstable ground.
                            So we'll probably stick with an inflatable mattress.
                            Was looking at this.

Anyone know what these raised mattresses are like? Too wobbly? Stable?

Coleman Raised Quickbed Air Bed with Battery Pump - Queen Size - BCF
                            Last edited by Rhino; 18-12-2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Been camping lots but always been living off the bike so stuff to take is limited.

3 man dome tent
                              Blow up mattress
                              Blow up pillow
                              Pump for blow up
                              Sleeping bag an that's about it to get by.

Obviously got extras like inverter for charging laptop etc but not really needed.

When not staying at caravan parks (ie no campers kitchen) tinned food really shines

If your traveling keep in mind most truck stops have showers as well.
                              Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

I spend quite a bit of time on adventure rider forums , main one being adv rider. Most discussions discount blow up mattresses as they will all eventually pop or leak , primarily due to some design flaw in their general makeup [?].

Apparently one mob make a good one that is tough as nails , but can't remember it. Google around and try to dig up a good one Rhino. Dunno about the generic camping jobbies , but then again it could just be advertising spin disguised a discussion thread.

Also try the vstrom riders international and Vee stormers sites from memory. Pretty hard core crew who travel the world with this stuff. If anyone would know good quality gear, these riders should....
                                Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X