X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn you and your memory Princess !!!!
    Either way Baxter is camper
    It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
      Been camping lots but always been living off the bike so stuff to take is limited.

3 man dome tent
      Blow up mattress
      Blow up pillow
      Pump for blow up
      Sleeping bag an that's about it to get by.

Obviously got extras like inverter for charging laptop etc but not really needed.

When not staying at caravan parks (ie no campers kitchen) tinned food really shines

If your traveling keep in mind most truck stops have showers as well.
      What a bout the blow up doll ?
      In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

Comment

Been getting a bunch of stuff lately.
        I think we're good to go for a caravan park, but a bit of a ways to go for free camping.

Gas bottles. How many? What sizes?

Will be used for cooking, and maybe general lighting.

What's the best 'general' lighting, assuming there is absolutely none.
        LED lantern? Gas? Size bottle? Burn hours/days/nights/

Cooking. Gas bottle with single pan holder type thing attached, or a proper stove setup with two burners, wind breaks etc...?

What are the other small things you wouldn't think of until it's too late?

Comment

We do a bit of remote area camping refuse to use gas

Ditch the gas stove in favor of a dual fuel like the Colman power house once you have one carting gas bottles seems painful we fill the tank and 2 x MSr bottles and were good for nearly 2 weeks if you have a petrol car you can syphon out of that if you need.

we also use a solar panel for recharging battery's and running the fridges that way we have plenty of light and dont have to worry if it gets knocked over and sets fire to something. I got a couple of 12 volt rechargeable batterys and installed cigarette lighters on them at the end of the night we chuck one in the tent if its hot can then plug the fan in and the 12volt light.
          in the morning just connect back up to the car if driving or solar if you got it.
          also use a few LED lights with the magnets on it.

Head lights must have for bush camping so handy.

Fox wing awesome go any where shade and also keeps off the water if it rains.

Comment

Actually good point solar is the way to go. Got two 30w panels off eBay an they work a treat.

Had em for about 4 years an still work a treat. Along with the 1000w inverter
            Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

we got 240w solar can run cf50 as a freezer and a cf60 as fridge and charge up battery heavy and bit bulky and not much good on rainy days but guess were pretty lucky for sun round here also got an ARK power pack and run a N70 size deep cycle battery in it when its at home it has a charge maintainer.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks.

I've got a couple of Coleman CPX4.5 products.
                3x rechargeable cartridges, 1x tent light, 1x headlamp (bright as fuck! Very surprising).

Will look into the idea of rechargeable 12v batteries and the solar setup. Sounds pretty cool.

Has anyone had any issues with theft?
                I'm a bit concerned... Don't want to have to pack everything up every time we leave for a couple of hours.
                Hopefully there is some decency and respect...

Originally posted by emrys74 View Post
                ...and 2 x MSr bottles...
                MSr bottles?
                Last edited by Rhino; 23-12-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emrys74 View Post
                  also got an ARK power pack and run a N70 size deep cycle battery in it when its at home it has a charge maintainer.
                  I've just bought one of these and intend to shove a 100aH battery in it but told the weight of it will snap the handle off the box, what aH is your battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                    Great advice. Thanks.

I've got a couple of Coleman CPX4.5 products.
                    3x rechargeable cartridges, 1x tent light, 1x headlamp (bright as fuck! Very surprising).

Will look into the idea of rechargeable 12v batteries and the solar setup. Sounds pretty cool.

Has anyone had any issues with theft?
                    I'm a bit concerned... Don't want to have to pack everything up every time we leave for a couple of hours.
                    Hopefully there is some decency and respect...

MSr bottles?
                    http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2-Burn.../dp/B00006I56J

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...ottles/product

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                      I've just bought one of these and intend to shove a 100aH battery in it but told the weight of it will snap the handle off the box, what aH is your battery?
                      Century N70 t 100ah

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...82#Description

Comment

Does that charge well / relatively quickly off your panels?

Comment

yeh works quite well always charge it up b4 we go well it lives plugged in solar panels have 2 outlets one for load which is diverted to the fridges and the charge gos to the batteries. we did 2 weeks in cape arid no dramas and 2 weeks in Ningaloo no dramas also ran another cf 60 one day but it was struggling with the 3 hanging off it.

Comment

We had a ridiculous 16 man fabric-Taj-Mahal that would take up more than half a site, leaving us the pissy little annex for all our cooking/chillin space.

Once we realised we spent very little time in the tent itself other than to sleep, we switched to a 6 man dome plus one of those large 3x3 collapsible gazebo thingies.

Much more practical/comfortable setup.

We have a 100L esky built out of coolroom panels and ally angle for coldifying shit. A couple of bags of ice in that and we can go 3 days. A K-mart-spec 2 burner gas cooker with separate "BBQ/Grill" plate that just sits on top for heatifying foodstuffs. and the rest is just camp chairs, a small lightweight table and a plastic tub that we keep with a set of utensils/pans/plates/matches etc etc. When we want to head off we put all our dry food in that same tub and our clothes in a duffle bag.

Vehicle is just our 2006 ES Lancer wagon with roof rack and luggage basket. Between the boot and what we strap on the roof it's pretty comfortable.

Mainly hit-up powered sites and only go 2WD accessible obviously but it's "rough" enough for us with 2 young kids.
                            Find me on Instagram

Comment

I'm really liking some of the info coming out of this thread.
                              Although, my wish list is pretty $

I know nothing about power.
                              How do I work out what size solar panel would be good.
                              120w overkill?
                              80w reasonable?
                              Nothing smaller than...?

Won't be running a fridge at this stage. Just a few appliances (maybe our little nespresso coffee machine, etc). Charging phones, ipad etc, small stereo.

Emrys, one of the reviewers said the Ark powerpack didn't charge very quickly so it was useless if you were on the move a lot.
                              Is that just to be expected?
                              How do I avoid that? Just a bigger solar? Obviously more charging time will help.
                              I plan on spending more than a couple of days at any one location, so it probably won't be an issue.

Comment

If you plan on using your car battery and an inverter, get a dual battery installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X