Camping megathread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by McGoo View Post
    Something happened to us a few weeks ago I thought some here would appreciate. Taking advantage of living in Kalgoorlie, we decided to take the kids out for a bbq picnic in the bush in our LandCruiser. We don't have to go far here to feel far away from town, but we would be far enough that I made sure we had the standard recovery gear just in case. This meant we had maxtracks, a shovel, a snatch strap, chainsaw, hatchet and the 12V air compressor, as well as a spare 10l jerry can of water. I wasn't planning on using anyof it, but fortune favours the prepared, right? We threw in some matches, bread, the hotplate and some sausages and sauce, and headed out.

There are some major roads around Kalgoorlie, the important ones in this story are the Goldfields Highway, which heads north-northwest from town, and Yarri road, which heads north-east. The local tip is 8km out on Yarri road. There is a strategic firebreak all around town that is massive, the closest equivalent I can think of is a divided, dual lane highway carved straight through the bush. It runs in an arc between the two roads about 15km from town, and is usually easily driven by 2wd vehicles. We headed north on the Goldfields hwy and turned east onto the firebreak for a few km, until we came to a large pool of water over the road due to recent rains (this is important later on). We headed north from the firebereak for a few hundred metres, found some trees, started a fire and had lunch.

After lunch we decided to go for a walk so the kids could burn off some energy. I noticed another car about 400m away and thought "Wow, what are the chances, we head out of town somewhere remote and we still have people around us". A few minutes later I saw a lady sprinting in the direction of our car. We decided to head closer to our car as this was a bit weird. She saw us and ran towards us, obviously in tears. My wife took the kids towards the car while I walked towards her, thinking she was either being attacked, she was crazy, or they were stuck. Turned out to be option three. She said she, her boyfriend, and their five kids had gone to the tip in the prado with trailer, and decided to take the "fun" way home via the firebreak. They came to the same pool of water that we did, except from the other side, and decided to detour around it the same way we did.

Their flawless plan came unstuck when they got to a mudhole on their go-around track and decided to go through it. Why did they think this was a good idea? No fucking clue. Either way, it meant that they spent the next two hours trying to get out of the mud hole. They had no food, no water, a stock standard car with highway tires, and no idea where they were. They had phone reception, but didn't have the knowledge to even tell people where they were. One of the first things I pointed out to the lady was the superpit to the south, and a well known smokestack to the north, with us squarely between them. I told her that meant we were only 3 or 4 kms from the highway. Her face dropped. We packed up and drove over to her car where her boyfriend was ignoring the screaming kids and trying to break up small shrubs and wedge them under the tires. I got my wife to give their kids some water and some snacks that we had packed for our kids, pulled out the maxxtracks and shovel, aired down their tires, dug out in front of the tires, and drove out on the maxxtracks. After 50m of flat ground, I pumped their tires back up to full pressure, and had them follow us back to the highway.

I was pretty happy to help out, and I hope someone else would help me out if I needed it, but I was stunned that someone would go into the bush so poorly prepared. We live in a harsh environment out here, and it would be easy to not see anyone else for days.
    unfortunately, there are far too many people who suddenly find they have 4wd and think they're unstoppable and invincible. sometimes people die. as for your comment about going through the mudhole, it's hard for me to judge having not seen it, but a lot of the time you're better off going through it rather than trying to go round it. seen many a muppet stuck next to the track when others are just driving straight through the mudhole with no issue
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

• Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
      as for your comment about going through the mudhole...
      Oh I agree, sorry if that was unclear. My point was more why would they go through the mudhole on the track that has been carved out with tires and has never been graded, while they went around a puddle that was on a very well maintained, graded road. If they were going to go through one of them, they definitely chose the wrong one.
      Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

• gotcha
        "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

• Mud, don't fuck with it.

Found this once upon a time walking to a fishing spot as we knew there was a big tide due and the substrate would be wet. Bloke had to walk 20kms back to town for help and took them half an hour to get it out. They rescued it with about two hours to spare before the ocean would have come half way up the windows. We walked back through there with water half way up our calves and rising with a few nice fish.

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

• ^^^^

Too many travellers take the remoteness of Aus for granted. You can end up in a world of pain just 20 k's off the Stuart Highway.
            The 'locals' can be both really good fun, or really bad Ju Ju. Just hope you get part A. We travel armed all over the country, mainly due to unwanted visitors in remote out stops.

Then there is red dirt and water. For some reason it is thought that a puddle is fun in the Desert. Sometimes it is not, especially if you turn the 4by into a Sub Marine. When your vehicle is bogged, it has no rolling abiltiy, so your 2 tonne car is now about 8 tonnes to remove from the gluggy goo. Again, bad Ju Ju, 'specially if you are aloner and a long way from home.

Still, great write up Shorty Stevo, and pm me if you head away next time and I will try to put you in touch with a few people in the NT who might make you welcome and show you around. [might be loitering on a side road near the Daly Waters pub! ]
            Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

• Went camping up at Moora last weekend with some of the PSB crowd and despite all the times I have been out before I found myself a bit under prepared in the lighting department. Any suggestions for decent torches/light sources when camping, without spending a weeks wages on them?

I believe the wolf eyes torches are great, but they are about $200 each!

I would really light a decent spotlamp which i can attach to the car battery, a headlamp for wandering through the bush and getting to the loo in one piece and a decent hand held torch for general purpose use.
              Not my circus, not my monkeys

Comment

• Originally posted by SH00TA View Post
                Went camping up at Moora last weekend with some of the PSB crowd and despite all the times I have been out before I found myself a bit under prepared in the lighting department. Any suggestions for decent torches/light sources when camping, without spending a weeks wages on them?

I believe the wolf eyes torches are great, but they are about $200 each!

I would really light a decent spotlamp which i can attach to the car battery, a headlamp for wandering through the bush and getting to the loo in one piece and a decent hand held torch for general purpose use.

Decent, good value head torch - LedLenser H6, or Black Diamond Icon

Car chargeable spot light - there's plenty, but I haven't used one for years.

General purpose torch - picked up a couple of these last week:

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/onlin...nuFrom=1022004

$2. Including batteries!

Camp area lighting. LED bars are getting cheaper all the time. Check out camping stores, jaycar, even the 4wd accessory shops. Picked up a couple of nifty little sets from the Rhino rack place. We use either those, or some homemade LED downlight modules, either set connected to a 7.2 AH sealed battery.

I'm not addicted to camp lighting. Honest.

Comment

• Drove down south and ended up staying at Porongorup Tourist Park - which was a nice spot and not too busy for the long weekend.
                  Climbed Bluff Knoll and drove through the Stirling range, wish there were a few more decent bush camping options out that way - great area.

Also bought 2 x Coleman C0 Birdsville sleeping bags, which are by far the best camping sleeping bags I've ever owned.
                  Nice cotton flannel material instead of the usual synthetic, very thick and super wide (1m) and so is pretty much like a quilt when zipped together, and the stuffing is thick enough to provide a bit of extra padding underneath - only downside is they are fairly large when rolled up!

Managed to get a hold of a whole bunch of cheap ply so I'm going to have a crack at building rear drawers over the next few weeks.

Comment

• Went for a look at Lane Poole Reserve today. I have ridden passed many times and took the family down today.

Comment

• Can anyone confirm for me if any of the camp sites near Collie (Potters Gorge, Honeymoon Pool etc) are accessible on a road bike with road tires in dry weather? Can't find concrete evidence to support one way or the other.

Comment

• Camp sites are normally accessible by average road cars.
                        I know at least Honeymoon pool, last I went like 10+ years ago, is accessible by car.
                        look where you want to go~

Comment

• Cheers. As long as a car can do it, the bike should be fine as long as I go slow enough.

Comment

• yes, its gravel but a well maintained wide road
                            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

• The sites near the exit of Honeymoon Pool camp ground (where it goes up hill) would be perfect for a bike. Smaller sites, a bit further away from the day visitor area.

Potter's Gorgeous is a gravel car park. Pretty much overflow from HP - and mostly occupied by RVs and trailers as they're not allowed in HP.

Great spot. Cold at night, even in summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                                Went for a look at Lane Poole Reserve today. I have ridden passed many times and took the family down today.

I'm off to lane Poole for a couple of nights camping with the kids and was keen to do some 4wd with the kids. Anyone been on the Cpt Fawcett 4wd trail lately? DPaW says a section of it is no closed due to erosion but I did find one called the nanga circuit trail. anyone else go any suggestions? it a Subaru forester, but I have little recovery gear bar a shovel :-), a Jeep wranglers on the near future shopping list so I'm looking for something not too hard just something to give the lids a bit of fun.

Of the camping sites there which are the most picturesque in Peeps opinions? (lane Poole Reserve)

Comment

Working...
                                X