Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping megathread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Won't be using the car battery for anything other than the car.
    Will be using a separate battery Barfy. Along the lines of what emrys suggested.

    Does this sound alright?
    Solar Panel Folding Kit Caravan Camping Power 120w Mono | eBay

    Oh, and could I run the inverter with a power board for a couple of devices with that battery?

    Comment


    • #77
      Fuknlol.

      I just Barfy'd you Jim

      Comment


      • #78
        Inverter??

        Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 1000w / 2000w 12v - 240v | eBay

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by activeman View Post
          My rig...

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]65395[/ATTACH]

          What gear have you got? Vstrom 650 with bellypan
          What gear is awesome? Girlfriend, Icebreaker, Ferrino lighttent, Jetboil, Mont sleeping bags
          What gear would you stay away from?
          Found a favourite spot you'd like to share? 2WD or 4WD accessible. Lots of places in the free camping book, this is Grimwade near Donnybrook
          Great 'lite' equipment Icebreaker
          What tips and tricks have you learned along the way? Less is more. Double sock when camping / hiking. Condiments are worthwhile if well packed.
          I'm jelly! Definitely wanna do that, and a big +1 on icebreaker stuff, I swear by it!

          Great spot for a camping trip, needs 4WD, is qoin head, on the way to esperance. Fairly tame track in, to be met at the end with a huge 25ish degree hill down to a pristine bay with drop dunnies, great fishing, dolphins, snorkeling. Usually have the place to yourself almost because the hill puts most people off

          Sent from my Galaxy S2
          Originally posted by Commuter
          23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
          24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Rhino View Post
            Won't be using the car battery for anything other than the car.
            Will be using a separate battery Barfy. Along the lines of what emrys suggested.

            Does this sound alright?
            Solar Panel Folding Kit Caravan Camping Power 120w Mono | eBay

            Oh, and could I run the inverter with a power board for a couple of devices with that battery?
            Just remeber that when running at 100% they will only produce about 6.5 amps and a car fridge requires about 4 amps.

            good inverters are exbensive you need to work out the amount of power you plan to draw I instaled an inverter with a pwer point in the back of my 4wd for charging stuff like phones cameras and the laptop the girlfriend saw the pluc looked a bit like a house one and decided to bring her hair dryer needles to say that the $300 inverters fuse survived but it didnt. I would suggest an inverter with 2 powere outlets and not bother about the power board.
            In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

            Comment


            • #81
              Santa brought me a new tent, big enough for the whole family . . . oh well

              Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	4888957

              Mmm Black Wolf goodness

              Comment


              • #82
                Nice one!

                After a chat with some if the rellies over Christmas, I'm considering a Honda EU20i genny instead of naffing about with batteries, panels, inverters...

                Will cost a bit more but less equipment, more straight forward and more grunt.

                Comment


                • #83
                  i got a yamaha genny we almost never use it

                  realy what you trying to power up? Its nothing for us to do a 2 week trip and never want for power only run the car in winter time camping for hot showers if we need them.
                  In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Rhino, if you decide on a decent size genny go for the Yamaha EF2000. Do search on the Honda and you will find that it cuts out on very hot days and Honda cannot fix the problem. The Yamaha also has a fuel guadge and the Honda doesnt. The Yamaha also hs a fuel cut off so you can run the carby dry before putting it away. Thie means no fuel smell if you have it inside a boot of a vehicle and if stored the carby wont get gummed up like the others do. i did a bit of research into these gennys hence going the Yamaha. Only downside is I was originally suppose to get the EF2000 but cant today so went for the 1000 which will be fine for my needs.


                    Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                    Nice one!

                    After a chat with some if the rellies over Christmas, I'm considering a Honda EU20i genny instead of naffing about with batteries, panels, inverters...

                    Will cost a bit more but less equipment, more straight forward and more grunt.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      My Yammy is an old EF1000 still plods along have even used it to power my 9 inch grinder it dosnt like it though have to be gentle with it but once its spinning it seems ok.
                      In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        some pics of our set up from Murchison in April
                        didnt stop raining the whole weekend.





                        In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          and a couple from our Ningaloo trip an amazing place

                          overlander



                          Ningaloo turn off

                          Camp fire

                          Camp at 4.30am

                          Beach in the bombing range

                          near 1k camp

                          Yardie Creek
                          In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by emrys74 View Post
                            i got a yamaha genny we almost never use it

                            realy what you trying to power up? Its nothing for us to do a 2 week trip and never want for power only run the car in winter time camping for hot showers if we need them.
                            Not sure yet. That's half the problem. But I always get more than I need to make sure I'll be right.

                            Right now, the vehicle is an issue, I don't have the space to carry a lot of gear so a generator will provide the most power for the least amount of space. Will look to upgrade in the next 6 months (have swung back to a Hilux again), but I don't think I'll be upset with a genny.

                            Another suggestion was to just go to a powered site and see what I actually use the power for, and go from there.

                            But camping at a powered site will also provide many things that I would have to provide myself if I went to a camp ground (as opposed to a caravan and camping park).

                            Quite indecisive at the moment. But this is all bringing about good discussion and options to consider.

                            Leroy, I heard the same about the Yamaha researching last night. Mainly around driving air conditioners. I aim to travel during the more tolerable weather so I'm not sure the overheating will be an issue. The fuel tap and gauge sound like a good idea though.

                            Where did you get yours from?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by emrys74 View Post
                              some pics of our set up from Murchison in April
                              didnt stop raining the whole weekend.





                              Is that an oztent? If ya got a car with roof racks or one that is long enough, oztents are the go

                              Sent from my Galaxy S2
                              Originally posted by Commuter
                              23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
                              24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Yep an RV4 and fox wing

                                good tent just a roof rack job but easy to set up and can zip to awning too although we didnt on thaqt trip.
                                In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X