No announcement yet.

Camping megathread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three nights at Lara Wet Lands a Station where a Lady had a vision to provide a camping area where you can have a fire and take your dogs with you. A tragic storey of how she has overcome adversity and government to make this work.

Then on to Tambo to visit where Mrs Lin worked on a Station before we met. Good to see some of her past.
    The Little Caravan on the Prairie.

Comment

• Tambo! Linda has her Tambo Teddy. During the wool crash of early nineties this town decided to make Teddy Bears from Sheep Skins. They have become famous and still made by hand as we watch. Each Teddy is named after a Station in Tambo and of course Linda's is named after the Station she was a Nanny on in 1983. Just after we bought this we were in a shop and mentioned to the lady there Linda's connection. Would you believe the other lady in the shop with a little girl is the wife of the then six year old boy she looked after! We were soon introduced and invited to their own cattle station. We had a lovely time there exploring the Station and then a lovely meal and invited to connect up the van for the night. Such a lovely family and we were given farm eggs and home baked melting moments as we left this morning. Such a great experience!

A trip around the cattle station

On the station

We are now beyond the Black Stump

Comment

• Camped at the Tomson River Apex Park Longreach. Shared with off road motorcycles that are permitted as they were here first.

Then off to QANTAS Founders Museaum for a tour of their Jumbo Jet and Boeing 707. A fantastic experience and so much history preserved.

Comment

• After Longreach we headed to Winton where we stayed behind the Winton Hotel. Five Dollars each per person and all money raised is donated. Jo the manager a bike rider is donating $500 from this to Black Dog Ride. The Dinousor Experience was extremely interesting. Then on the Hughenden where it was mighty cold at night, now thinking why did I only bring the top half of my thermals. Weight saving can be taken too far lol.

Swimming in Porcupine Gorge and Westward to Charters Towers. Two days here as I have to repair an Anderson Plug. Then a short trip to Fletchers Creek. This is a real find. Free camping beside a flowing creek and can here stay four weeks. We manage five nights before we must move on. Some four wheel driving to find the Burdekin River.

Townsville to catch up with my mate that I rode around Australia with four years ago. Just out of hospital one day and sadly his motorcycle days are now over. Maybe a Can Am?

Heading North we find a campsite by the Hull River and $18 per night goes to volunteer sea rescue. We have a three meter Saltie living out the back who won't cooperate with traps and he comes up to tip out Rubbish Bins so using caravan loo at night.

Heading next to Atherton Table Lands.

Outside our caravan Fletchers Creek.

Heading to Big Bend

We find Big Bend on the Burdekin River

Comment

• Update, it is now over twenty weeks since we departed and it has been great.

Heading to Cairns and then a steep twisty climb to the Athrton Table Lands stopping at Mareeba. The museum at the Info centre was brilliant and a day trip to Kurunda and four wheel drive tracks to waterfalls and walking tracks to see Aboriginal Rock Art. Heading Northwards we drove to Cooktown staying at a lovely farm stay property on a river. Checking on local crocodiles the warnings are to be taken seriously one person was taken four years ago. I only spotted one small one but there is a 3.6 resident around the place. Cooktown was a good place to base ourselves and a day trip on a four wheel drive only road taken through to Old Laura a historic homestead and to Laura.

Heading to Old Laura Cape York Peninsula

River crossing

Our camp site north of Cooktown

We have had two days in the Daintree, Cape Tribulation. A walk through the rain forests today and then to Port Douglas.

Now heading homewards.
            Last edited by Graelin; 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Nice pics .. what a trip ! Don't rush home, it's freezing and hail right now !

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Check out the Quinkan Rock Art near Laura if you are interested in that sort of thing, it's prolific as rock painting goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crim View Post
                  Check out the Quinkan Rock Art near Laura if you are interested in that sort of thing, it's prolific as rock painting goes.
                  It is highly recommended but was closed for the afternoon when we went there.

Comment

• A new series - Speed Dealer tries living in a tent for 9 weeks

So I'm currently working on a project about 90mins from Mildura. In a town called Robinvale. There's 2 small motels and 2 caravan parks with over 200 workers vying for a spot in the motels or cabins. Those who can't get in, have to do the 3hr commute each day from and to Mildura

I've been lucky so getting accommodation, but the workforce is about to go up to 300 so I've accepted my luck will run out. But there's no bloody way I'm doing a 3hr commute every day!

There is however plenty of spots at the caravan park for tents. So I'm going to try living in my Oztent for the next 9 weeks.

We get $218 per day for living away expenses. A powered site is going to cost me $25/night as opposed to the $120/night I was paying for a cabin.

I've been back in Melbourne on leave this week. I go back next week...I'm gonna be taking 'glamping' to the next level!

-Oztent with front awning walls giving me 4.6m x 2.4m of living area.
                    - Bar fridge
                    - Microwave
                    - 1m wide stretcher with my swag mattress and heated blanket.
                    - 2.5kw portable air conditioner (just in case it warms up in coming weeks)
                    - Laptop with internet.

I'll post up photos once I'm setup next week.
                    Last edited by Speed Dealer; 16-08-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• 9 weeks living in a tent - Week 1 - Setting up

Arrived today and setup everything. Will have to run into Mildura this weekend and grab an RCD box from Bunnings...fun fact: electricians are often blasé when it comes to the electrics in their own dwelling I am no exception.

But I reckon it's gonna be pretty comfortable. Microwave, fridge, air con, heater, electric blanket 50Mbps WiFi internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                        9 weeks living in a tent - Week 1 - Setting up

Arrived today and setup everything. Will have to run into Mildura this weekend and grab an RCD box from Bunnings...fun fact: electricians are often blasé when it comes to the electrics in their own dwelling I am no exception.

But I reckon it's gonna be pretty comfortable. Microwave, fridge, air con, heater, electric blanket 50Mbps WiFi internet.

Very nice camp. Needs Oz Trail Cascade 8 position recliner chair with side table for full glam but aircon is a nice touch.

I'll be doing a night stop around there on 12-13/9. Maybe beer if you are around.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                          Very nice camp. Needs Oz Trail Cascade 8 position recliner chair with side table for full glam but aircon is a nice touch.

I'll be doing a night stop around there on 12-13/9. Maybe beer if you are around.
                          Sounds good mate. Are you coming by Robinvale/Euston? We can grab a steak at the Euston Hotel.

About to have a mate swing by for a beer and sitting in the front area with the heater going. Its 7 degrees outside and I'm very comfortable in the tent in a tshirt. I think this is going to work out ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                            Sounds good mate. Are you coming by Robinvale/Euston? We can grab a steak at the Euston Hotel.

About to have a mate swing by for a beer and sitting in the front area with the heater going. Its 7 degrees outside and I'm very comfortable in the tent in a tshirt. I think this is going to work out ok.
                            Will drop in for sure. Was going to stop around Mildura anyway and the plan is to exit Bondi before 04:00 to beat traffic, so Robinvale late afternoon works.
                            The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

• See if you can throw an extra tarp over the top - with an air gap.

Will stop the condensation when it gets cold, and it'll help a lot when it heats up.

My experience with those portable cooler units is that they're ... lacking.
                              But that was about 20 years ago.
                              How good are they now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                                See if you can throw an extra tarp over the top - with an air gap.

Will stop the condensation when it gets cold, and it'll help a lot when it heats up.

My experience with those portable cooler units is that they're ... lacking.
                                But that was about 20 years ago.
                                How good are they now?
                                They're good. It's a proper 2.5kw refrigerated air con not one of those ones you add water too.

I've got the Oztent fly over the bit of the tent where I sleep which makes a big difference to inside temp.

Comment

Working...
                                X