No announcement yet.

Camping megathread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 years ago a bloke asked me to aircon his tent.

Part owner of a [email protected]%king big cattle station in the Kimberley and worked in a town as a silent partner.

I asked why.

He takes his kids out camping on the station, they have gensets buried near their favourite sites. He grew up sleeping under the stars and now liked to have a beer in his tent and watch videos while the kids enjoyed the outdoors and he wanted A/C as it got a bit hot sometimes. Wanted a frame built to take a roomie. I told him he was a soft prick, harden the f%@uck up and we were not A/C'ing his tent.

After another incident, heart attack, he cut down on the piss (carton a night), lost weight and started enjoying life outdoors with his kids again.

Not suggesting this is you at all Speed Dealer but seriously.....an A/C in a tent? Still, better than an open flame or bar heater I suppose.

You can get those portables up to 4.5kw cooling capacity now. Equivalent of what used to be called a 1.5hp.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

• Originally posted by chew View Post
      30 years ago a bloke asked me to aircon his tent.

Part owner of a [email protected]%king big cattle station in the Kimberley and worked in a town as a silent partner.

I asked why.

He takes his kids out camping on the station, they have gensets buried near their favourite sites. He grew up sleeping under the stars and now liked to have a beer in his tent and watch videos while the kids enjoyed the outdoors and he wanted A/C as it got a bit hot sometimes. Wanted a frame built to take a roomie. I told him he was a soft prick, harden the f%@uck up and we were not A/C'ing his tent.

After another incident, heart attack, he cut down on the piss (carton a night), lost weight and started enjoying life outdoors with his kids again.

Not suggesting this is you at all Speed Dealer but seriously.....an A/C in a tent? Still, better than an open flame or bar heater I suppose.

You can get those portables up to 4.5kw cooling capacity now. Equivalent of what used to be called a 1.5hp.
      I'm not here to enjoy life outdoors. I'm here to work hard outdoors 10hrs a day, 13 days per fortnight and be comfortable once I get back to the tent. I've already done 7 weeks staying in a cabin. You get worn down after a while. I need to be as comfortable as possible when I finish work.

Comment

• From Cooktown we headed across to the Gulf of Carpentaria. Then down to Cammoweal where I caught up with Frank, Hammid and Ross who I rode around Australia with four years ago. They got quite a surprise! Then we went out West to Mt Isa and then North to Daly Waters and stayed at Lichfield National Park. Taking time to swim under the Wangi waterfall.

Victoria River a place that I wanted to take Linda to then three nights at Lake Argyle.

This place is stunning, beautiful, at sunset we jumped off the tour boat to have drinks and nibbles as the sun set. Hard to beat that. Camped tonight around 160 Km from Halls Creek.

Lake Argyle about one percent of this huge man made lake.

Welcolm to Litchfield. We want to come back for more.

We set this up with a good friend to be self sufficient with a second hand fifty dollar solar panel and Anderson plug chqrging the van as we drive. The sales people told me and my friend this would never work. I need to hand them $3,000 to enable this! Well after eighteen days off grid we still had 13 volts in the battery. Our average cost for accomodation during this time $7 per night.
        Last edited by Graelin; 25-08-2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• It's the start of my second week living in the Oztent. First week went really well. Would turn on the heater and my electric blanket, have a couple beers with the boys and return to a warm tent and warm bed. A couple zero degree nights haven't been a problem.

No one thinks its unusual I'm living in a tent. The caravan park is in a small town and there's about 40 other blokes from work here living in cabins, caravans, work vans and camper trailers.

We get $1500/week for accommodation and food, but if you can pocket the majority of it on top of your pay and shave 2hrs off the daily commute, why not?

Sat around my state of the art entertainment system with a few of the boys last night trying to watch the (cancelled) MotoGP race.

Comment

• Who's the snob drinking wine?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhino View Post
              Who's the snob drinking wine?
              He's a kiwi. They're weird.

9 weeks living in a tent - Week 3 - Van Life In My Future?

2 weeks down and the tent feels like home. Had a couple nights of heavy rain and wind and the tent performed splendidly. The first night the wind came in I was a bit dubious about the front awning section, but I added more pegs and guy ropes, put earplugs in to block the noise and woke up with the tent still standing.

Got a workmate with a caravan park cabin going home for 10 days next week so will be staying in his cabin during that time so he doesn't lose it to someone else. However I'll be back in the tent after that.

Being comfortable in such a small space has got me thinking about 'van life'. Stop renting, buy a van, fitting it out to live in and combining travel with following work around Australia (I'm an electrician).

I already got rid of nearly everything I own when I left Perth at the end of 2016, so I don't own much stuff to begin with.

I think a Volkswagen Crafter is going to be the one. Tall roof so I can stand up inside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                He's a kiwi. They're weird.

9 weeks living in a tent - Week 3 - Van Life In My Future?

2 weeks down and the tent feels like home. Had a couple nights of heavy rain and wind and the tent performed splendidly. The first night the wind came in I was a bit dubious about the front awning section, but I added more pegs and guy ropes, put earplugs in to block the noise and woke up with the tent still standing.

Got a workmate with a caravan park cabin going home for 10 days next week so will be staying in his cabin during that time so he doesn't lose it to someone else. However I'll be back in the tent after that.

Being comfortable in such a small space has got me thinking about 'van life'. Stop renting, buy a van, fitting it out to live in and combining travel with following work around Australia (I'm an electrician).

I already got rid of nearly everything I own when I left Perth at the end of 2016, so I don't own much stuff to begin with.

I think a Volkswagen Crafter is going to be the one. Tall roof so I can stand up inside.
                Maybe a decent hard floor camper trailer or hybrid caravan? You already have something to tow it with and a bike to go in the tray, seems like the perfect lifestyle. Fkn jealous!
                yes, i am ignorant
                yes, i am a prick
                no, i don't care
                you make me sick

Comment

• Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                  Maybe a decent hard floor camper trailer or hybrid caravan? You already have something to tow it with and a bike to go in the tray, seems like the perfect lifestyle. Fkn jealous!
                  I thought about a caravan, but rightly or wrongly I feel I'm still too young for a caravan (29). I also like the fact with a van you can be in the middle of a city (which I don't plan to be often), park up, climb through into the back and go to sleep anywhere. And if I design it well enough, it will look like a delivery van rather than a camper as to not attract attention.

I've met a heap of 'van lifers' working on this job. It seems to be the latest trend amongst long haired, vegan millennials. I'm not a vegan or long haired but it has convinced me it's the way to go.

Some people even put fake business logos on the outside of their van to blend in even more. I'm an electrician so I guess I could put a real business logo on the outside

I'll have to sell my bike and my car to pay for the van, but I'll keep my Postie bike in the back for scooting around town!

Comment

• Five months and two weeks living in a caravan ends tomorrow.

We have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
                    What we have seen and done has blown us away. Many said we would not be able to handle being together in such a small space. In fact it has brought us even closer.

The scenery of Australia far surpassed our expectations. The people we met exceptional. I caught up with ten motorcycling friends from my past. One from my Bunbury days over thirty years ago in QLD. One filling his bike at Fortescue Road House that I rode from Alice Spring to Perth five years ago! Coincidence? Linda met the six year old she looked after in Tambo he is now 41 by chance. We stayed on his cattle station after that.

22,000 kilometres was passed today and we have just scratched the surface of what is out there.

Four wheel drive track to Exmouth Gulf

The Gulf

Our set up Larrawa Station

Comment

• Do another lap 👍👍

Comment

• So Graelin, your top few positives and negatives of living in the caravan?

What have you learned that you would change on your next trip?

Comment

• Just for you keys I took this photo. I came across three of these in the trip

I love Australian Outback Pubs. They have a character that draws me to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                            So Graelin, your top few positives and negatives of living in the caravan?

What have you learned that you would change on your next trip?
                            Positives
                            I can leave the van and go off exploring. No need to pack up the camp

This size van six meter with seperate toilet and shower plus $50 portable second hand solar panel made us fully self contained.

I can take advantage of many free camps provided for travellers which makes this affordable.

The people that you meet on the road are friendly. We met young Scottish couple and had lovel evening a couple of nights back

Disadvantages are few

We have a list that is just a few kitchen tools

The caravan in larger towns can be harder but I stay away from them as much as possible

A diesel heater would make life in colder places good. I bought fan heater but this requres 240 volt

I have been giving thought to you

Advantages
                            Young, adaptable, trade behind you. Adventurer nature

A van. Good for trade can you make it self sufficient as this is an advantage?

Is a trailer an option easy to make it look like a tradie.

You can travel and explore and work. Living on the road is cheaper than renting buying a house

Don’t like the neighbours turn the key and move!

You will not regret what ever time you decide to spend this way.

Just define what is good for your needs.

Happiness is a house with wheels!

Comment

• Plus backpackers can offer fellatio for accomodation. Profit.
                              yes, i am ignorant
                              yes, i am a prick
                              no, i don't care
                              you make me sick

Comment

• The girls might even offer more!

Comment

Working...
                                X