Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crim
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback, agree that camera image does not do justice to steep inclines, had to turn back on a track on the Namibia/Angola border on the Kunene river many years ago because of steep terrain & solo travel in a Hilux but it looked benign in a camera image.

Saw Mitchell Falls in 1991, awesome place, there was two other 4WD's at the campsite at that time, might be different these days.

This Munja track is definitely a place I would love to see/experience.

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    The 4 x 4's were averaging 15 kmh and we were not in a rush so it was three days of five hours driving. They were all experienced drivers and no issues apart from a split power steering hose and one chunked tyre. The video flatters the terrain and it was worse than it looked. The general consensus is allow three days for the 220km.
    I would do it again tomorrow. It is amazing country and no tourists. We saw two other vehicles and the caretakers at Bachsten Creek Camp, which is a jewel and worth the trip on its own. There were numerous Barra caught at the inlet.
    There is talk of going again next year earlier in the season if there is some rain this wet.

Leave a comment:

• Crim
    replied
    Road looks a bit rough but not too bad for a 4WD.

Did the vehicles have any issue there?

Video is great, worth the effort you reckon?

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    Some video of the ride the pictures above are from.

Let me know if it works.

Leave a comment:

• Thrasonic
    replied
    We go camping on a frequent basis.

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    I nearly completed the Munja track. Covered 70 ms a day mainly due to waiting for the 4 x 4's as it was rocky and a bit rough. Camped at Turkey Creek and Bachsten River Camp, this place is amazing on its own with toilets, hot showers, swimming hole 200 metres walk as well as the Honeycomb caves and Bachsten Gorge within 2kms of camp.

10 Kms from the Walcott Inlet things went pear shaped.
    Caught a rut in the track at about 40-50km/h and got body slammed onto the rocky centre of the track. Took a while to get my breath and get up. Felt like broken ribs. The support crew arrived 25 minutes later. Loaded the bike on a trailer and drove to the camp site. Every bump was like a steel pole being driven through my chest. Started passing blood and moving was difficult with shallow breathing to boot. Called the emergency services and got choppered out next morning. Torn ligaments near sternum and contusions on the lungs. Pee changed back to normal. Spent a week in Broome convalescing and waiting for the mob to return with stories of 90cm Barra. Spent 5.5 days out there and saw a lot. Also got a helicopter ride over some inaccessible countryside.

blob:<a href="https://matsnik.smugmu...fa7f4a933d</a>

Hope the pics work. Let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    Originally posted by Crim View Post
    The main reason I would not consider a swag is because of the size, they just take up too much valuable space. I get the Aussie tradition but practicality takes precedent. I just don't have the space.

A tarp, an air mattress & sleeping bag makes more to me if you want to sleep looking at the stars.
    Of course, it depends on your situation.

I for one love them because of the fucking mosquitos!

I've been woken to the sound of them.
    Open my eyes and shine a torch and there were about 10 of them on the outside of the mesh.

Meanwhile, I get to sleep without long clothes or completely covered up.

There's no perfect solution. I've got swags, tent, camper trailer and can't find a way to get rid of any of them

Leave a comment:

• Crim
    replied
    The main reason I would not consider a swag is because of the size, they just take up too much valuable space. I get the Aussie tradition but practicality takes precedent. I just don't have the space.

A tarp, an air mattress & sleeping bag makes more to me if you want to sleep looking at the stars.

Leave a comment:

• Rhino
    replied
    The first time I used a swag, it was about 2 degrees over night or something.
    I was worried I'd get cold so I zipped that fucker right up.

Woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air.

It was sealed alright!

The confined space will keep you warm enough.

Once I got the air and the temperature regulation right - I found it extremely comfortable.

It's not one you could take on a bike though.

Leave a comment:

• Graelin
    replied
    A walk last night. Australian Fathers Day with my London based Daughter.

Leave a comment:

• chew
    replied
    I head off in a week to meet up with some crew and ride into Walcott Inlet and surrounds via The Munja Track for two weeks. Will bring back pics if the crocs don't get me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	munja-map1.jpg?w=635.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	5242111

Leave a comment:

• Graelin
    replied
    A new place for us, Ellendale Pool on near Walkaway. Very peaceful with toilets provided. We had some days at Cliff Head as well.

Leave a comment:

• CbrRider81
    replied
    Originally posted by Graelin View Post
    Well we got a message from my Daughter, extend my airfare home!

So may beautiful places explored, White water rafting, and horse riding.

Argentina.

Did you happen to be out at Hoffman’s mill over the Easter weeken?

Leave a comment:

• wonky
    replied
    I love Argentina, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X