Camping megathread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping megathread.

I know there are a lot of guys interested in fishing and diving...
    Thought there might be some interest or crossover into camping.

I've only dabbled in camping and it's been at caravan parks... (Not really camping)

I'm not yet set up for free camping but would love to do it, and do it often.
    Upgrade the car to a 4wd, get the fridge, the tables, showers and all the other kit.

What gear have you got?
    What gear is awesome?
    What gear would you stay away from?
    Found a favourite spot you'd like to share? 2WD or 4WD accessible.
    Great 'lite' equipment.
    Or Taj-freakin-Mahal equipment.
    What tips and tricks have you learned along the way?

My very modest list of gear includes:
    Black Wolf Turbo Plus 240 (might look at the basecamp fly addon later - soon to get its first outing)
    Wanderer Deluxe solid-arm chairs

It's a decent size tent but is more for 'permanent' or long term camping sites.
    Bigger, takes a bit more effort to set up (although the main tent is a 'turbo' pop-up model, the fly still takes a bit of time to get established). Good to spend a couple of days or more in one spot.

I definitely see the value in the smaller pop-open tents for when you just don't want to sleep in your car tonight - and ultimately will be set up to go either way.

Will head down to Honeymoon pool or up to Moore River soon for the first little run.

So, whatcha got? Where ya goin?

Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

My rig...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2248a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	4888752

What gear have you got? Vstrom 650 with bellypan
      What gear is awesome? Girlfriend, Icebreaker, Ferrino lighttent, Jetboil, Mont sleeping bags
      What gear would you stay away from?
      Found a favourite spot you'd like to share? 2WD or 4WD accessible. Lots of places in the free camping book, this is Grimwade near Donnybrook
      Great 'lite' equipment Icebreaker
      What tips and tricks have you learned along the way? Less is more. Double sock when camping / hiking. Condiments are worthwhile if well packed.
      Last edited by stromrider; 15-12-2011, 01:30 PM.
      If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

I have a Taj MaTent that is rarely used, It must be 5 years or more since I last used it.
        I have a small 3 man cheapy that I bought to use at a bike rally, being cheap it was pretty much disposable. I've had it for 6 years now and it's only fault is a small hole in the floor from a tent peg
        I like small gear as a lot of my campng has been with bike travel, but even in a car it stows better and allows more room for cartons of beer (esential camping equipment) Both of my sleeping bags are 0 degree rated and pack down to about 200 diameter x 300 long. quality sleeping gear is a must because waking up dead from hypothermia puts a downer on the trip.
        I have a 40 litre engel and about the same size in waeco not fridge just a cooler thingy

I love camping, roughing it and easy option. My boy (6) has been on a few camping trips and is always keen to go again mostly because it involves riding mx bikes whenever he go's

I cant tell you where to go but I can recommend avoiding the Dwellingup camp sites at Easter....... never again will I camp at a popular "bush" site on a long weekend.
        It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I want to know more about fridge versus cooler/esky... someone today mentioned a gas powered Engel?

Something like that will likely be the next purchase.

Comment

I hike and camp along the Bib track mostly, so my gear is light and easily carried.
            Originally posted by out_in_front
            #4: Pillion gets treated like they are made of glass and irreplaceable - I don't want that shit on my hands if I make a mistake doing something silly.

Comment

Not done a vast amount of camping, but keen to do more of it next year. Cheap way to get away from the city for a little and clear the head.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

I'm keen to get right out into the wilderness on the next camping trip. None of this designated camping ground nonsense with shops a short drive away. If you've seen Tomorrow When the War Began (specifically, Hell) then you'll know what I mean. So, up north somewhere, middle of winter next year. That's the plan.
                Originally posted by Koola
                Someone sig this.

Comment

Used to go all the time with the old man and my brother but haven't been camping in years. Have a top of the line sleeping bag that packs down into 150mm round by 200mm long and is good for -20. Can borrow a nice 4 man or a very nice 2 man so don't own a tent. Keen to buy a swag to chuck in the back of the ute though. Don't have any other equipment anymore.

My ice box if I pre cool and pack properly will stay cold for a week. Also have my old mans 40 something year old engel lying around somewhere (probably at my brothers) that would be great to steal back.

Need to get a Gas lantern and stove, couple of quality chairs and I'm pretty much sweet.

Comment

We go camping as often as we can. Just purchased a camper trailer a few months back, and have most of the gear we need to stay in the bush. Only thing I do not have is a fridge, but we have a great ice box that keeps ice for a week, so will probably just stick with that. Current project is installing a fixed kitchen to the camper, then it will be fitting solar panels for a bit of power when out in whoop whoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier Lefaux View Post
                      Not done a vast amount of camping, but keen to do more of it next year. Cheap way to get away from the city for a little and clear the head.
                      That's what really appeals to me.

I'm either too disorganised or don't have/make time to take a decent holiday. So I always feel 'beaten' by work and not having time off.
                      The idea of 'fk it, get in the car, we're going away for a couple of days' excites me.

Comment

You need to get rid of the hair dressers car first

Comment

Originally posted by r0gue View Post
                          we have a great ice box that keeps ice for a week...
                          Srs? Deets man!

^^^I knows. I'm working on it. But you can still get away without needing a fourby.

Comment

A swag...

Tent and bed in one...

Comment

Anyone tried Glen Mervin dam south of Collie towards Mumballup, two campsites, short term tents on east side longer stay on west side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Working...
                              X