Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer help

ok need any help
    bascically moved my computer from one room to another for some unknown reason when i reassembled it it came up on the bios "keyboard locked out)
    after much struggle of trying to reset the bios by moving jumpers around on the monther board and pulling the computer 100% apart and them bascically rebuilding it from scratch it now wont start up in gets through all memory checks and then it seems to be searching for a hdd to boot off and instead comes up with a message "media test falied check cable"

so far i have
    * changed the bios to so that it only has my boot drive to boot of
    * put brand new IDE cables on the hdd and cd rom
    p.s it is picking them all up on the startup screen i have 2 200gig hdd's and my boot is a 80. all the jumpers are correct.

i dont know what else to try

any help would be greatly appreciated
    Dont Fight with utes while on your bike it hurts

Motherboard/chipset/CPU?
    So explain to me the configuration with the 3 hdds and the cd.

Is it;

Primary
    80 gig
    200 gig

Secondary
    200 gig
    cdrom

OR have you got SATA running aswell or whats the go? How long did this original move take? Was it walking one pc to another room or did you move house and pack everything up and crush it all in a car etc etc etc?

Comment

Google dude

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...howtopic=54244

I would start by unplugging ya cdrom and spare hard drives and just try and get it running with ya boot drive. Once its booting again go from there...

** From what I have read (on 5 different sites now) your computer is trying to boot off the network, and ya network cables not plugged. Check BIOS and make sure network boot etc isnt enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by leezxr@Jan 18 2006, 01:40 PM
        Motherboard/chipset/CPU?
        So explain to me the configuration with the 3 hdds and the cd.

Is it;

Primary
        80 gig
        200 gig

Secondary
        200 gig
        cdrom

OR have you got SATA running aswell or whats the go? How long did this original move take? Was it walking one pc to another room or did you move house and pack everything up and crush it all in a car etc etc etc?
        [snapback]216372[/snapback]
        i got sata but aint using it its just

Primary
        80 gig
        200 gig

Secondary
        200 gig
        cdrom

and it was just a simple move from one room down the hallway to new bedroom

Comment

i already had a look on google and tried a few things on that thats how i got past the keyboard locked out issue

i unplugged everything but the main boot drive and its starting up but as soon as i plug anything else in it dies again ?

Comment

Do what RZ has said. Also go into BIOS and force it to boot from HDD first rather than CDROM, network, or other device.

I have had a similar problem when a SATA to IDE converter came a little loose during transit to a mates place.

If all else fails try your drive in another PC to make sure they are ok. I;d then be thinking the motherboard is FUBAR. What Mobo are you using?

You haven;t stated any details of the PC that is giving problems

Comment

p.s thats only when i try to plug the primary slave in

so that there is only the

Comment

Originally posted by reddog@Jan 18 2006, 01:53 PM
                Do what RZ has said. Also go into BIOS and force it to boot from HDD first rather than CDROM, network, or other device.

I have had a similar problem when a SATA to IDE converter came a little loose during transit to a mates place.

If all else fails try your drive in another PC to make sure they are ok. I;d then be thinking the motherboard is FUBAR. What Mobo are you using?

You haven;t stated any details of the PC that is giving problems
                [snapback]216383[/snapback]
                i have already changed the bios so that all 3 options say to boot from hdd 1

my system is a
                asus a7n8x deluxe
                2800 athlon
                9800 xt
                1 gig ddr ram

Comment

Theres your problem. AFAIK it should be set as hdd0, hdd1 is your second drive

Comment

My advise is dont get into it too much. It was working before and it should work now, so you have to work out what has changed. The more changes you make, the more variables you have. It sounds like something has gone pop, but there are a few ways to fault find.

As a few others have mentioned, start with bare minimum, disconnect everything (apart from keyboard, and graphics card) including your hard drive and boot from a 3.5" floppy to make sure it will boot into an OS of some sorts (you can download boot disks from www.bootdisk.com). Windows 98 bootdisk is always a good start.
                    Once this works, make sure you loaded BIOS defaults and then save it.
                    Beyond that, Id suggest adding bits at a time. Chances are that it will fail when you plug the offending part in. You can always try updating/reflashing the BIOS as althought I dont think it should have done, but it may have wiped the BIOS or corrupted it in some way when it was cleared and reset.

Generally PXE (network) boot doesnt happen unless boot devices higher in the boot priority list dont work or you press f12 or whatever during boot up. Even then, your normally given a selection screen. Typically the boot order will be something like 1 removable devices, 2 CDROM, 3 HDD and so on. Just make sure that your boot priority looks something like this.

Other than that its a case of elimination. Try swapping out the PSU with a mates, and then I guess it almost 99% has to be the mainboard after that...cant think of anything else it could be.
                    Things can just go pop, even if you just unplug and plug something back in. THis is why turning off stuff at the power point or on/off switch on the PSU is a good idea, so stop spikes or arching as you plug it back in.

Anyway, hope it helps a bit.

Comment

thanks for the help guys in the end i had to disconnect the cdrom all together put the primary ide cable for my boot hhd only and put the 2 200gigs on the other ide
                      its the only way it will still boot for some reason ???

Comment

Out of curiousity, were the jumpers on the primary IDE channel HDDs set correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee@Jan 18 2006, 02:27 PM
                          Out of curiousity, were the jumpers on the primary IDE channel HDDs set correctly?
                          [snapback]216396[/snapback]

yeah was like the first thing i checked ive moved them all around to different spots cable select slave master and what not but still no difference

Comment

Yeah... so you've moved them all around... but you know how they're meant to be set up don't you?

Comment

So it all works without the CD connected?

When it works does the HDD on the secondary IDE chanel come up as slave? if so the jumpers on that HDD are incorrect you would be wanting it to come up as master

Unless . . . the CD drive is set to master and they are both trying to be master

You need to make sure the HDD & CD Drive are not both being set to the same thing - set one to master and one to slave (I don't trust cable select)

Any probs give me a call on 0415 721 943. I will be playing badminton tonight but leave a message with a return phone number and prefered time to call and I will get back to you.

Andrew
                              ==============================
                              Andrew Sidebottom
                              Blue Seal Graphics and Multimedia
                              Computer Technician & Network Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X