wireless adsl....Help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless adsl....Help?

I am looking at going wireless at home because at the moment i have cords runnig between rooms and I just received a centrino notebook for work.

I need recomendations on what I should be getting.
    I am with iinet on adsl2 i think

Here is what i was thinking about getting

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/D-Link-DSL-G604T-54...1QQcmdZViewItem

will i be able to have both my desktop and notebook using the adsl at the same time with this set up?

sorry but i don't know to much about any of this stuff.

cheers

Chris

Yes - I have that DLink model - it has the wireless and four network points so you can run both your laptop and desktop.

However I found that the wireless coverage not to be too strong and ended up having cable run for the desktop (which is in another room not too far from the DLink) as the network connection kept dropping out - mind you this might have been because I was using a DLink wireless network card in the desktop and that wireless card has problems with XP. So if you are thinking of putting a wireless card in the desktop then stay away from the DLink AirPlus G+ PCI Adaptor.
    I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

thanks Steve!
      I am looking for the best possible connection on wireless, the router will be about 7 meters away in another room.
      If anyone can reccomend a good setup it would be apreciated

Comment

Chris, I have my wireless network point about 5 feet away from the laptop - this way it I am ensured a good connection (the speed will drop even at this range depending on the angle of the laptop to the access point).

So, set the wireless access point in a central location so that the laptop can physically see the access point (line of sight). If the laptop has to receive/send through walls then your network speed will be reduced depending on wall thickness, number of walls and angle through the wall to the access point.

If you are going to get cable run to the desktop then perhaps also look at getting a telephone point set up where you want the access point to be. Plan where you will be using the laptop the most and set up the access point to suit. It can get expensive with all the extra cabling, but it is a lot less frustrating than having the wireless connection drop out intermittently

EDIT: Mind you, having said that, I have been told by some people using wireless that they have no problems picking up the wireless signal through walls, across paddocks into their neighbours access point - very much depends on the compatibility of the hardware - unfortunately I found that the DLink card does not run under XP, or has severe bugs in it.

Comment

I know this does not have a DIRECT relation to Chris's problem, but it sort of does.

Years ago, when my father was alive and received his first hearing aids, a friend of ours (from Telstra), installed a 'loop' system through the ceiling of the house. What this 'loop' system did, was amplify the signal from the telephone, TV, radio, any eletrical device that emitted a sound wave through the house.

My point being, has this technology been developed further? Is it possible that a 'loop' system can be installed (I understand it was not THAT expensive at the time) that would assist a wirless link, eliminating the problems Steve (Tigerleo62) wrote of? Over to da geeks in da house!

Steve
          Originally posted by Viper
          I'm probably fucking something up.
          FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
          Administrator

Comment

Don't know of a loop system but you can purchase dB amplifiers/antennas to boost the signal/receptopm - but these start costing more bucks, require mounting to a wall etc - and also make it more possible for others in your area to pick up your signal...

Comment

I have also heard bad things about d-link adsl modems from my bro who runs a computer business. He recommended a ZyXel Prestige 600 series instead and it works well so far. I am able to get an "excellent" signal all over my apartment (so only a couple of walls and not a huge distance but I walked outside for about 5m and it is still excellent) - though I can't comment on transfer speeds because I haven't managed to get the two computers to ping each other yet but I have narrowed this down to firewall settings....probably... something to do with domain settings... Anyway, not modem related...
              My laptop has an Intel® pro/wireless 2200BG and they talk to each other, they just don't listen
              Go outside - the graphics are amazing!

Comment

You have many options available, personally Im not a fan of Dlink though, once bitten, twice shy and all that.

If you already have an ADSL modem have you considered just getting a wireless router and simply plugging the modem into that?

That is the setup I am running and it works a treat. Personally I am a little weary of a combined modem/router/wireless access point, your getting one product to perform those three highely intensive functions.

If you go the wireless router jobbie then I would have to say the best option available would be the Linksys WRT54G, I have one of these and it is nothing short of awesome. Your looking at $100 for it and you won't be displeased, it is money well spent. Linksys is basically cisco's retail division, anyone who knows the slightest bit about IT knows that cisco are the industry leader in networking.

Alternatively if you are going for a modem/router/wireless access point then one of my favourites atm is the Netcomm NB5+4W, I bought one of these for my brother for only $126 and it has been nothing short of brilliant. We use to sell these at work and I know that Netcomm has just about the best after sales support of any of the manufacturers in Australia.

Billions seem to be a popular choice, they are very cheap and I hardly ever hear bad things about them. The 7402VL seems to be the go, it has VOIP functionality built into it too, which is starting to get popular.

Have a browse through Whirlpool's DSL Hardware Forum for some research. In particular, note this thread on known problems with the Dlink 604T.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

Originally posted by tigerleo62@Jan 21 2006, 08:49 AM
                  ...mind you this might have been because I was using a DLink wireless network card in the desktop and that wireless card has problems with XP. So if you are thinking of putting a wireless card in the desktop then stay away from the DLink AirPlus G+ PCI Adaptor.
                  [snapback]217715[/snapback]
                  Never had a problem with mine... under 98, 2000 or XP.

The d-link is a good unit but it is only ADSL2 and not ADSL2+ compatible.

Spend some extra dollars. The Belkien that iiNet are offering as their recommended equipment aren't too bad.

That's what I'm looking at upgrading to.

Comment

At home I use a Berklin 7202G (Purchased from PLE) which is a Wireless G router + ADSL Modeb + 4 port switch. I have not had any problems with it. It use it with my PDA + my desktop and coverage seems to cover entire house although mostly used from room with is about 5/6 M from Router.

Andrew
                    ==============================
                    Andrew Sidebottom
                    Blue Seal Graphics and Multimedia
                    Computer Technician & Network Administrator

Comment

thanks guys, much apreciated
                      I ended up purchasing the netgear dg834g , it works a treat, just having a few probs with the filter now, the internet connection suffers when i use it for the phone etc

Comment

Originally posted by mattis@Jan 21 2006, 11:56 AM

If you go the wireless router jobbie then I would have to say the best option available would be the Linksys WRT54G, I have one of these and it is nothing short of awesome. Your looking at $100 for it and you won't be displeased, it is money well spent. Linksys is basically cisco's retail division, anyone who knows the slightest bit about IT knows that cisco are the industry leader in networking.

Have a browse through Whirlpool's DSL Hardware Forum for some research. In particular, note this thread on known problems with the Dlink 604T.
                        [snapback]217773[/snapback]
                        I'm curious about this stuff as well... that linksys WRT54G is a 54mbps, dont they do a 108mbps now? is it worth gettin one of them?

Comment

Increase Wireless, cheap and easy way...
                          http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

btw..Have to get it just right or it wont work properly.
                          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by monsta@Jan 21 2006, 06:31 PM
                            I'm curious about this stuff as well...* that linksys WRT54G is a 54mbps, dont they do a 108mbps now?* is it worth gettin one of them?
                            [snapback]217844[/snapback]
                            You can get 108mbps jobbies now, but unless your doing large file transfers on a consistent basis theres really no need. It also means you would need a 108mbps compatible wireless NIC, which are not cheap either.

The transfer speeds you can get off even an 11mbps wireless connection are still faster than your top DSL download speeds so you wouldnt get a 108mbps wireless setup for that reason. The only real reason you might go for it is range.

If you need to transfer a file fast then bang in the ethernet connection (most lappies have them built in) for that file.

For the average home user an 11 or 54mbps wireless setup is fine and rather cost effective. The wireless nics are about $60 (obviously they vary in price depending on whether they are PCMCIA, USB or PCI based as well as what brand and features) and a wireless ADSL model/router combo is going to be around the $150 mark.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                            your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

I do not know shit about computers but have a HP(pavilionentertainment Notebook PC, lapper with a MiniMax Highspeed wireless mobile broadband cdma usb modem, (thingymybob which is green with a miniblack antenna)
                              Must be a kawasaki related product and something with Gryphen ??
                              It works very nicely and even on a minesite like Leinster it has a great connection.
                              and that is 900 KM from my place!!!!
                              Am I stupid or have I got the chook that lays/shits golden eggs

Comment

Working...
                              X