Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2P

ok

so i am talking to some buds who tell me if i am doing any p2p with something like Azureus i should have an ip blocer like peer guardian

so they send me a link and BAM i am on it and a shite load of ip's are scrolling through

i dont really know what it is but hey its blocking something....

so my DL finishes and i close azureus, i go to close peer guardian and still see these ip's flowing through, not as fast, but still flowing through...

how and what are they?>
    does this mean i have an open port or something that when my file program is closed ppl can still get info?

any help graetly yada yada

Dubs

Dont worry about it, even though you have closed your torrent ap, all the other clients still have your ip cached and are trying to get some more action. it will stop eventually.

Oh yah, try and avoid the big torrent sites, your asking for trouble.
    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
    Q-Zar Fremantle
    Rated-R Parts
    PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
    Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
    CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
    Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Probably just random IP pings and port scans. Plenty of malicious activity happens down those two pieces of wire.

They happen all the time. Your guardian software is a good solution. A while ago I had a virus dropped on my computer as a result of a scanner finding an open port. Cleaned it all up and decided to connect to the net and get some firewall software. By the time I had downloaded firewall software (10 minutes) the virus had been dropped on again.

No problems now, but firewall software is becoming every bit as important as anti virus software.
      To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
      Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

also can someone recommend a good port checking website

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs@Feb 1 2006, 05:53 PM
          also can someone recommend a good port checking website
          Dubs
          [snapback]221723[/snapback]
          Best to get someone you know to do a port scan on your IP. Some of the websites I've seen are a bit dubious.

If you want I can scan yours and give you a list of open ports or I can recommend some software to put on a mates computer that you trust.

Cheers
          HG
          To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
          Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

yeah dubs your IP will then be "out" in the p2p programs, and then thereby added to a IP/port scanning list for our big brother friends to sniff. There are a number of companies that do the sniffing, companies like XEEX etc, they then pass the info onto MIPAA and RIAA, so they can send a copyright infringement email to your service provider.

Interestingly port scanning, and in particular repeated port scanning could be considered a form of DOS (denial of service) which is an offence under the DMCA (digital millienium copyright act), the very same act RIAA and MIPAA see to sue people with.

If you're with iinet for example you can flush your IP for a new one, or just leave your peerguardian running all the time to stop em getting in.

Comment

That's Nasty Mel

Comment

Shields up - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Shields up, is probably the best to test for open ports. Nothing Malicious is installed on your PC, Steve Gibson was the first to find out about spyware and is a regular on Call for help, Tech TV (Foxtel).

As long as the firewall and antivirus is up, i usually dont care about going through Proxy Servers, if RIAA, MPAA, FBI, CIA, NSA wont to trace you they WILL, run a Reverse DNS http://remote.12dt.com/rns/ lowest form of trace back to your ISP.

Trace IP helps you search location of any IP address. It searches the City, State, Country, longitude & latitude of where the computer with that particular IP address is located and also Includes name and address of the owner of IP address.

Scary, Just something to keep in mind as you wander the Internet.
                John / Halo_2
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Steve Gibson is an egotistical idiot.

If you want a laugh, have a look through the back articles at www.theregister.co.uk , anyone would think he has created perpetual motion, pure democracy and a better tasting feta cheese.

There have been cases noted where shields up does not display correct results.

Best bet is as was recommended earlier, have a trusted friend run a portscan of your IP address.
                  Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

dont forget your aluminium hat

it the WAIX p2p and forget the int shares altogether. look in the right places and you find that WAIX has most of the latest files within 30 minutes of release or at latest when its requested.

+1
                    and stuff

Comment

Thats ridiculous... theres no such thing as better tasting feta chese
                      If you can... you MUST!

Comment

If you're still in need of a portscan dubs PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Klink@Feb 3 2006, 09:45 AM
                          Thats ridiculous... theres no such thing as better tasting feta chese
                          [snapback]222460[/snapback]
                          There is once you put a little bit of garlic and herbs, or chilli in it Klink!!

mmmmm, feta
                          Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

Azureus also has a plugin you can download called "safepeer" which integrates fully and does the same job.

Good stuff.
                            Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
                            (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

Working...
                            X