Garage floor coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage floor coatings

So I've moved into the new place, new shed, and wanted to do something with the garage and shed floors.

At my old place I acid etched and painted the shed floor. The paint was great for about 6 months. Then it hangs onto stains. And then when you drop something on it it chips. Really painted concrete is an ongoing concern, you need to repaint it periodically to maintain the finish and for me this is a pain in the arse.

This time around I decided that I wanted a better finish without the above limitations. Enter epoxy/polyurethane/polyurea/polyaspartic coatings.

There are quite a few companies locally who do this sort of thing. Most of them focus on the commercial side of things however there are a few who are happy to do the residental work. After some research and shopping around I settled on an epoxy/polyaspartic finish for my floors.

Basically the process was prepare slab, diamond grind, primer, base coat, flake, scrape then top coat. 3 days all up and ready to drive on a day later.

I opted to have the expansion joints filled for a number of reasons (installer experience and advice, full coverage F62 reo in slabs, flex in filler and the coating itself, expansion joints already cracked and needed repair). I also opted to go with a flake to help hide the filled expansion joints and any imperfections in the slabs themselves (high/low points etc). Will see how we go with the expansion joints, worst case scenario I have to cut some in but that is covered under the warranty if that does occur. I really wanted the flat seamless look so it's a gamble I am/was prepared to take.

Shed:

Before

Expansion joint filled

Primer

Flake

Done

Garage

Before

Expansion joints filled and edges repaired

Primer

Flake

Done

Warrantied for 5 years and it should last 10/15/20 based on what I have been told and read.

It's not cheap but the finish is amazing. Hope that helps anyone who is thinking of doing it, time will tell if it was worth it but for now it has exceeded my expectations.

looks like a laboratory floor
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Looks fantastic, be interesting to see how it lasts throughout the years. I've been thinking about my options for my concrete driveway, carport and shed and I don't think that I've seen anything better. It appears as though you don't want to give away the cost, but are you able to give a rough guide of cost per square meter?

Comment

It cost me 4k for 75m2, so $54 per m2.

I had quotes that varied from less than 2k for a single colour polyurethane to nearly 10k for the same area.

Some companies acid etch, some diamond grind, some do either/or depending on what you want to do.

Different products of course, however from what I have read the polyurea/polyaspartic coatings are the better ones.

The epoxy finishes are considered old school and will discolour over time. Polyurethane top coat is meant to stop this however you can't do flake with it.

The flake finishes add a reasonable amount to the price.

If I get 10 years out of it it will have been worth it vs painting just for the cost of materials let alone. You can't compare the finish of this vs paint, it really is something else.

Comment

Looks nice, but I reckon it would be a bugger trying to find that little screw you dropped!

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

Thanks for the info mate. Actually that's not too bad is it. It's probably almost a viable option for internal flooring, for people who like that sort of thing.

Comment

Losing things on the floor is the only downside that I can see to the flake. On the upside I don't tend to drop things on the floor often. The decision was made on looks alone, a flat colour would not have looked this good.

Comment

hey [MENTION=6767]Stephan[/MENTION]...
                The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

That looks the business! Any chance you could PM me the companies details you used? Would be much appreciated

Comment

Love that garage floor mate.
                    such comment
                    wow
                    many post

Comment

Originally posted by Shaunor8 View Post
                      That looks the business! Any chance you could PM me the companies details you used? Would be much appreciated
                      I second that! Can you pm me the details too please?
                      SP RACINGis supported by:
                      MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                      Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                      Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Shaunor8 View Post
                        Originally posted by Stephan View Post
                        I second that! Can you pm me the details too please?
                        Done. If anyone else wants their details just ask (don't want to post them and then find out I'm breaking forum advertising rules)

Comment

Fuck me, that looks pristine, Lee!
                          Not that I would expect anything else from a guy who works on his bike in AIDS gloves

Comment

Lee, go ahead and post up. It ain't your business.

Comment

As a comparison, I had this done in a commercial kitchen I upgraded 7 years ago. This is a place with high foot traffic daily, deliveries run through heavy crates knives hot pots and pans dropped on it not to mention lots of splatter from hot oil and chemicals and it still looks like it did the day it was done. Get a good installer and it will last a lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X