Lib/Lab NBN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morgs View Post
    We should probably make a note in the diary for 5 years time to come back and review this discussion. I agree with some of what you are saying, but I am not so pessimistic about new technologies moving the goalposts on wireless connectivity and bandwidth in the future. I mean what happens when we start streaming over unobtanium.
    Heh. I'm coming from this looking at what our current limitations are.

Things like;
    Offsite backups? Yep, we can do that, but it's goddamn slow. The more bandwidth we have for doing that, the more data we will move.
    High quality voice and video comms. We are kind-of doing it now, but we're more limited by the bandwidth than most people probably realise...
    Then there's my own personal cause, streaming media. You can go out today and buy a 4K television, then not really do anything with it because we're not capable of delivering 4K resolution content reliably anywhere in this country. Shit, we can barely do 1080p, but content producers and hardware manufacturers are already pushing the tech.

It's not just about movies and dumb entertainment, high fidelity instant video also means a lot for education, medicine, news, knowledge sharing, etc..etc..etc... In a nutshell, all this bandwidth makes the world a smaller place, whether people can appreciate and understand how much of this tech they rely on every day or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by black500r View Post
    I think mobile phone companies melt into a puddle of shit on NYE simply because there is no financial benefit in providing better infrastructure to deal with that traffic for just the 1 hour each year.
    Now replace "NYE" with "every single day" and "mobile phone" with "networking", and that's the state of comms across this entire country.

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) could benefit in some way from this better network in place, but it's too expensive for a single private entity to even consider rolling it out. The nation is just too big and too broken, hence we're back to a government body stepping in and doing the Right Thing(tm) for the nation as a whole.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Comment

• Ok I will loan the govt money to grossly overpay for an often impractical and unnecessary (e.g. Including rural towns) national network if they guarantee me a 7% annual return. Beats my 4% iSaver :'-(

Worked in school systems for coming up 10 years now and I've seen how 'good' the government is at doing anything technology. Protip: NBN will not be used by hospitals, schools, or any other govt entity because the users have no interest in it. Except for that 1 doctor who will be on Today Tonight pretending that he consults with doctors all over the world and saying how wonderful the NBN is. And the 1 teacher who sets up a text based blog.

Comment

• Originally posted by black500r View Post
        Ok I will loan the govt money to grossly overpay for an often impractical and unnecessary (e.g. Including rural towns) national network if they guarantee me a 7% annual return. Beats my 4% iSaver :'-(

Worked in school systems for coming up 10 years now and I've seen how 'good' the government is at doing anything technology. Protip: NBN will not be used by hospitals, schools, or any other govt entity because the users have no interest in it. Except for that 1 doctor who will be on Today Tonight pretending that he consults with doctors all over the world and saying how wonderful the NBN is. And the 1 teacher who sets up a text based blog.
        Dear God, please tell me you don't pass this wisdom on to our kids as something that passes for teaching. :o
        Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Ok I will loan the govt money to grossly overpay for an often impractical and unnecessary (e.g. Including rural towns) national network if they guarantee me a 7% annual return. Beats my 4% iSaver :'-(

You still don't seem to be understanding that it is not about the end user of the bloody Internet. The benefits of a really genuinely good network are behind the scenes, not with the one doctor actively making use of it.

Comment

• What wisdom? I haven't actually taught in about 3 years. Relax.

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
            Dear God, please tell me you don't pass this wisdom on to our kids as something that passes for teaching. :o
            - - - Updated - - -

I get the benefits like I've always maintained. I just don't get why it's 'political'. I know it's expensive and I have an opinion that differs from some others regarding who should pay for it. I'll turn 360 and walk away from this 1

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
            You still don't seem to be understanding that it is not about the end user of the bloody Internet. The benefits of a really genuinely good network are behind the scenes, not with the one doctor actively making use of it.

Comment

I'll turn 360 and walk away from this 1
              Can't tell if sarcasm.

Fry.jpg

Comment

I do love it when a single individual's personal experience accounts for a world view; all the while missing the point that their view is incredibly limited.

Comment

What wisdom? I haven't actually taught in about 3 years. Relax.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the benefits like I've always maintained. I just don't get why it's 'political'. I know it's expensive and I have an opinion that differs from some others regarding who should pay for it. I'll turn 360 and walk away from this 1
                  So who SHOULD pay for a national communications and data infrastructure? Privatisation and corporatism has done wonders for most of our essential services and utilities after all.

edit: choose to ignore all the points about commercial interests requiring a certain ROI for shareholders as opposed to government responsibilities (and no, a government should NOT be run like a company!)

Comment

Yeah, this whole Internet thing is a short-term fad; I'm pretty sure it's not going to take off.....

Protip; you don't know enough about the subject to be handing out pro tips.

Comment

I spent a long time working in education too, awesome huh?

I also tend to hang out on occasion with people in the medical community.

My experience seems directly counter to your own, in that every educator, facilitator and medical professional I know is goddamn excited about what can possibly be done, but understand they're currently severely limited largely because of expensive, scarce comms.

Can we just email one another pictures of our cocks and get this over with already? If you're not on a 100MB+ link you may have trouble receiving mine though.

**edit: I'm not trying to paint myself as some sort of technical superman. I'm very aware of what I don't know and what I don't know far outweighs what I do know.
                      However, I've been extremely lucky in the last 17 years or so to have been involved in some really interesting things, seen a lot and learned a lot from some very dedicated people much smarter than myself. Having a lot of little fingers loosely dipped in a lot of little pies has served to remind me that the more I learn, the more I don't know, and the more I realize we collectively just don't know or appreciate.
                      Last edited by Sunshine & F'n Rainbows; 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM.
                      such comment
                      wow
                      many post

Comment

• Lol

Comment

Lol
                          Best
                          Riposte
                          Eva

...as we race to the bottom

Comment

• I thought most of the cost was going to be getting from the node to the chode? Backbone super highway shouldn't be so tough.
                            This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

• Are you implying that you will have no problems receiving black500r's cock due to the size of your pipe?
                              Ride ride ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Someone View Post
                                Are you implying that you will have no problems receiving black500r's cock due to the size of your pipe?

Let's talk money. Social benefits of $30,000,000,000. Hell yes NBN. Is the 7% ROI mainly coming out of the [insert percentage of total cost that is set aside purely for connection of homes to the NBN via fiber cable]?
                                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X