No announcement yet.

why does my pc keep eating hard drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does my pc keep eating hard drives?

my pc has munched another hdd. i now have a bagful of dead hdd's and a strong urge to smash the computer. this would be about the 4th harddrive thats died om me in about 5 years, and i'm wondering why this keeps happening. is this normal? eagerly awaiting the usual smartarse apple nerds to bag me and maybe, just maybe possibly someone might actually come up with something useful
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

What hard drives are you using?

Has it been the same type of drive every time?

How good is the cooling in your case, is there a fan near the hard drive keeping it cool. Running even a good hard drive constantly hot will shorten its lifespan.

Comment

Mine does it too it seems. Killed 4 WD greens, bought a set of hitachis and new SATA cables and it seems to be going fine for now. Touch wood.
      In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

1) what do you mean by hard drive?
        Stupid question, I know, but a stupidly large proportion of the computer-using public call the case the hard drive.

2) assuming you're talking about an actual hard disk drive, are we talking internal or external? Magnetic or flash?

3) what do you mean by "died"? Physical death or data corruption? What led you to this conclusion?

4) laptop or desktop?
        '====
        //`
        -Magilla
        They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
        Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Stay away from them Green drives, they are crap. Turn off all power saving for the HDD, leave spinning all the time, never turn computer off. I have never had a computer HDD fail. I have had them fail in PVRs and things that like to go into power saving modes. I currently have about 8 HDDs in the house being used, and a couple of SSDs.

Comment

Running raid?

If so the wd drives don't work properly in raid anymore. Unless you buy the raid capable version.

Look up TLER support.

Symptom will be regular array rebuilds. Or on raid0 array failure.

Could also be dodgy power. Or dodgy SATA cable.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Bad power or overheating.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

its a wd caviar green 500gb. tried with a different sata cable, tried looking at it with a different pc, nothing. it was making a terrible noise a day or 2 ago so i guess its totalled. it could probably do with a bit more airflow when i get a new hdd. or i might just bite the bullet and go a ssd and hope the pc doesnt decide to make any more sacrifices to the microsoft gods
                "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B. Rexington View Post
                  Bad power or overheating.
                  Yeah heat is a killer. Grease in spindle melts, bearing runs dry, dies...
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Don't put a SSD in there if you are doubting the cooling.

I have an abundance of fans here, and will be happy to come for a look -see if you want.

Flick me a PM if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Marli2 View Post
                      Stay away from them Green drives, they are crap. Turn off all power saving for the HDD, leave spinning all the time, never turn computer off. I have never had a computer HDD fail. I have had them fail in PVRs and things that like to go into power saving modes. I currently have about 8 HDDs in the house being used, and a couple of SSDs.
                      Hmm I have two WD Elements plugged into a WD TV Live thingo. Hard discs always power on and off. I'm still waiting for a problem after maybe q year...

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
                        its a wd caviar green 500gb.
                        Try with something (anything!) that isn't WD, especially not a WD green.
                        Shittest hard drives ever.

EDIT: Buy a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post

EDIT: Buy a Mac.
                          well,it took quite a while for someone to say it, but still, fuck you jim

Comment

Oh, this could be a good thread for moi, any info welcomed.

I need to buy a backup External Hard Drive as a backup to my backup - Western Digital was the likely candidate - are they crap? I guess everyone has their good and bad experiences regardless. If crap, what's a good one - storage size 500MB - 1TB, that powers off a USB. I have had an Elements one (320GB?) for quite some time and no problems (not used often though), plugs into power.

Comment

do you have a crap power supply that may be killing off your hard drive?
                              corsair or antec are generally very good.
                              If its a no name one ditch-it for a good one easy to change out.

also for all the mac/apple people out there they are all the same components from the same manufacturers, you guys just pay extra for you gear.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X