Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things Vinyl (records)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was going to get back into vinyl i sold all my original lp's to 78 records along with my dual turntable and scott amp.

    I have since bought a brand new unopened Thorens turntable and a reasonable ebay pre-amp the old amps had a phono input and didn't need one, i was going to buy a valve amplifier and maybe Wharfedale speakers, i also have some brand new pressing's and other lp's i have picked up, if there is any any interest here i will post them up for sale, i have a couple of hobbies/pastimes going at the moment and can't see this return to vinyl happening unfortunately.

    Comment


    • post em up

      Comment


      • Comment


        • So random question, I can understand how older music such as johnny cash, beatles, pink floyd and such would sound better on vinyl, but new artists making digital music such as flume, would there be any benefit? or because they're made on computers they are already at a lower quality?
          Master of the missed signals

          Comment


          • Originally posted by kenty View Post
            So random question, I can understand how older music such as johnny cash, beatles, pink floyd and such would sound better on vinyl, but new artists making digital music such as flume, would there be any benefit? or because they're made on computers they are already at a lower quality?
            A vinyl recording is a true representation of the sound wave. Digital samples the sound wave and converts it.

            Of course this means sounds that shouldn't be there are on vinyl as well as the full spectrum (?) of the sound wave.
            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

            Comment


            • a bit like how valve amp's are making a come back... you can't always improve on some things
              Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

              Comment


              • Originally posted by kenty View Post
                So random question, I can understand how older music such as johnny cash, beatles, pink floyd and such would sound better on vinyl, but new artists making digital music such as flume, would there be any benefit? or because they're made on computers they are already at a lower quality?
                A lot of it depends on the mastering, equalisation, and compression.

                I have bought new masters/pressings that sound thin and empty, where decent old, original vinyl just sounds sooo much better (even with the odd scratch or pop). I think the only "new" record I have bought was by Bjork, who uses a lot of real instrumentation so it really "works" with an analogue media. Otherwise (and this might seem stupid) I only buy albums older than my turntable (Technics SL-1210 MkII) and anything else can be streamed or in digital format as that is what it is mixed for anyhow.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Skut View Post
                  A lot of it depends on the mastering, equalisation, and compression.

                  I have bought new masters/pressings that sound thin and empty, where decent old, original vinyl just sounds sooo much better (even with the odd scratch or pop). I think the only "new" record I have bought was by Bjork, who uses a lot of real instrumentation so it really "works" with an analogue media. Otherwise (and this might seem stupid) I only buy albums older than my turntable (Technics SL-1210 MkII) and anything else can be streamed or in digital format as that is what it is mixed for anyhow.
                  To add to this, people need to bear in mind a lot of new re-releases are sketchy on thier source master material. Some is just a plate from a CD source. So pretty shitty really.
                  Originally posted by Abuse this
                  Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

                  Comment


                  • This popped up in my feed

                    https://www.maglevaudio.com/

                    might get one for my yacht
                    Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by somebodyelse View Post
                      This popped up in my feed

                      https://www.maglevaudio.com/

                      might get one for my yacht
                      The magnetic field disrupts the pure sound, do not rate at all.

                      This is a turntable 200kg $300k

                      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

                      Comment


                      • yeap... thats my house there
                        "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mekon View Post
                          To add to this, people need to bear in mind a lot of new re-releases are sketchy on thier source master material. Some is just a plate from a CD source. So pretty shitty really.
                          Is there any way you can know before I drop money?
                          Master of the missed signals

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by kenty View Post
                            Is there any way you can know before I drop money?
                            Not sure if any good websites with info, but sleeve notes, record collector mags etc.
                            Originally posted by Abuse this
                            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

                            Comment


                            • Well, sold off a few items from my collection;
                              Sold my SL1210, Linn Axis and my Vincent PHO700 preamp..... still keeping my LP12, but 2 spare tonearms and a couple of carts to offload soon too....
                              "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X