Mac or Windows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac or Windows??

Hey guys, someone a bit more in the know than me could really help me out here! OK so It's new computer time since some ass hat stole mine out of the car.

But I've no idea what to go for.

I was eying up the cheaper macbooks (air or pro), i5, 4gb ram jobbies. The air is nice and light with awesome battery but teeny memory (but I have a hard drive so.. )

But for the price of a cheap mac pro, I could get an HP envy or similar almost with touch screen, huge memory etc.

any ideas? I've started studying again so will be using it mostly for assignments, email, browsing and films on planes being that I had an ipad which was also stolen. FML.

I generally don't like apple gear, mostly because it works best if you have other apple gear... But now you can get Microsoft Office on the mac, that's the biggest showstopper gone.. only things going against windows are 1) lots more viruses 2) not quite as plug and play, I always seem to end up with some software issue 3) every windows laptop no matter how well i've looked after and virus proofed it, seems to just die in 2 years or so. My Dell and my samsung last are guilty of this iwth the samsung taking 5-10 minutes to pwoer on these days!

work aside, I'll use it for a bit of djing casually and the odd bit of photo editing and Cad work.. I do a LOT of work in excel and with macros; is office on the mac transferrable to window's versions??

spend up to 10 hours some weeks travelling so the pattery life is selling to me...

any opinions? Anyone have a mac and could comment?? scoured the net for weeks, but all I can find is fanboiz in either camp telling me why apple iz/iznt gay.

cheers guys..
    Last edited by Jaw; 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM.

Look at the 13" MacBook, awesome piece of kit and the screen is much larger than I thought it would be.
    If you have no Windows only software and want something with great support that works like an appliance instead of a tool, I'd go the Apple.
    People use windows because it's what they are used to, I've never, ever heard anybody that has gone from Windows to Mac going back to Windows, even some of the most stalwart anti mac guys now swear by them once they have learnt the new OS.

Comment

If you want to edit movies and photos, surf the internet, watch movies, music etc get a Mac. Great for your average computer user.

For tech savvy people and gamers, get a PC.

Nothing else needs to be said really.

Comment

I believe MacBook is a much better option in your case. You could always use "BootCamp"(without loosing performance) or "Parallels Desktop"(more like a virtual machine kind of thing but still pretty good) to run windows applications.

Comment

Personally I would just look for the best deal for your money, perhaps wait for a special/sale or what not. Ultrabooks and macbooks are very competitive and you can't really go wrong with either choice.

I also think Windows 8/8.1 is pretty darn good but it all depends on your budget really, both will easily do the tasks you describe.
          Originally posted by boeman
          Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
          Originally posted by Chuck Steak
          Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
            Personally I would just look for the best deal for your money.
            Perhaps his reasoning behind starting this thread, so he can figure out what is best for him?

Comment

PC = Computer Nerds/Gamers.

Mac = Everyone Else. User friendly, good for media and yes, all office documents are saved so they can be viewed on PC. Had my 13" for 4 years and still going strong. Only reason to upgrade is for depreciation for tax purposes.

Comment

Windows.

OSX is turning into iOS.

Comment

OSX.

Windows is turning into Windows Mobile.

Originally posted by mcmurray View Post
                  Windows.

OSX is turning into iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                    For tech savvy people and gamers, get a PC.
                    What's this "tech savvy" bullshit? I recommend Apple and OSX because I'm tech savvy, and I know there's a lot less Horrible Random Bullshit(tm) to deal with.

Dear OP, it's like buying a bike. Test them all and buy the one that gives you the biggest boner, but don't get caught up on the on-paper specs and measure the things on real-world performance.

More numbers doesn't mean jack shit these days, because there's almost literally no such thing as a slow CPU or not-enough RAM. I'd be walking over the road to buy one of the new beefed up Macbook Air 13's today if I didn't have a wedding around the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by buba View Post
                    OSX.

Windows is turning into Windows Mobile.
                    "turning into"? Win8 is bafflingly unusable.
                    such comment
                    wow
                    many post

Comment

Mac or Windows??

Every enterprise network engineer and storage guy I have dealt with in the past year is rocking a MacBook. As do I.

I've been employed in the industry for 18 years.

I'd consider all of us as tech savvy.

I've been running windows since 3.1. I've never enjoyed it. I love my Mac.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Just walk into a store that has both and play with them to decide which you prefer.

You'll find haters of either operating systems, so take it with a pinch of salt.
                        Originally posted by boeman
                        Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                        Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                        Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

I'm a retard and can work a Mac. Won't be buying Windows again.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B. Rexington View Post
                            What's this "tech savvy" bullshit? I recommend Apple and OSX because I'm tech savvy, and I know there's a lot less Horrible Random Bullshit(tm) to deal with.

Dear OP, it's like buying a bike. Test them all and buy the one that gives you the biggest boner, but don't get caught up on the on-paper specs and measure the things on real-world performance.

More numbers doesn't mean jack shit these days, because there's almost literally no such thing as a slow CPU or not-enough RAM. I'd be walking over the road to buy one of the new beefed up Macbook Air 13's today if I didn't have a wedding around the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

"turning into"? Win8 is bafflingly unusable.
                            As in a computer programmer or the like. I have a MacBook Pro and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                              As in a computer programmer or the like. I have a MacBook Pro and I love it.
                              I can't cut code (I'd end up cutting my wrists), but there's plenty of coders I know rocking the macbooks too

I just like that I open my laptop, load up photos, video, whatever it is I need to do, close it, and I'm done.

I spend zero time these days troubleshooting my own technical problems and just get on with the job of doing whatever I need, it's an awesome thing.
                              such comment
                              wow
                              many post

Comment

Working...
                              X