Coming off Anti-depressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming off Anti-depressants

I have a friend at work who has been taken off her anti depressants by her doc. Everything she found on the net says normally you get weaned off over time, but her doc had her go over 3 days then go cold turkey. She has been in camp the last 2 days with dizzyness, light head, zapping sensations and hasnt been able to come into work.

I was reading through the recently bumped Adult ADD thread and saw that others had experienced similar symptoms to this. What she would like to know is what people did to counter these symptoms or if she just has to push through it.

Edit : Forgot to mention. The name of the med was Lexapro
    Last edited by Kytty; 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM.

1. Start taking them again.
    2. Go back to the doctor and tell him/her she was unable to work due to withdrawal effects and she has started taking them again.
    3. If the doctor doesn't have a solution find a better doctor.
    Originally posted by mekon
    Why are pirates called pirates?
    Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Depends why she was taken off them, generally as above but the doctor may have a reason for stopping abruptly such as side effects or signs of organ damage.

Seek proper medical advice promptly even by phone to her doctor would be my advice without knowing more.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Depends why she was taken off them, generally as above but the doctor may have a reason for stopping abruptly such as side effects or signs of organ damage.

Seek proper medical advice promptly even by phone to her doctor would be my advice without knowing more.
        Yeah, didn't consider that, good point.
        Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

As said why was she taken off them what tablet is she is on... how long she was in them! Yes she probably should be weaned off them maybe get her to go to another GP. Also depends on the dosage

Comment

You need to be slowly weaned of them regardless what the doc says. You have nueroadaption taken place, meaning the body and and brain are depended on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Usually this should be dkne slowly monitoring how you are travelling. Have those tablets been replaced by another anti depressant?
            "One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closes friends; if they seem OK, then you're the one."

Comment

Normally your weaned off lexapro by cutting the tablet down, then going to every second day with half a tablet unless you have side affects.
              How ever Effexor is swaped over to from lexapro if you have side affects.
              What your friend is going through is normal for cold turkey. I was prescribed Stillnox then put onto Effexor.

Comment

There's a few threads about on the subject, I sympathise as still on the odd occassion get a zap. Aropax Fuck you!
                Originally posted by Abuse this
                Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

As far as I know she had no problems on the meds. Her doc wanted to take her off I guess he/s he decided that my mate didnt need them anymore. But even I thought it was weird that she told her to go cold turkey and they havent put her onto a replacement med justcompletely off meds altogether. I'll tell her to call her doc on Monday coz yea its totally messing with her at the moment and she is a little concerned (as am I, dont want the poor chick passing out at her desk). the medic on site said there was nothing he could do for her so she is just gonna have to grin and bear it till go home day on Weds

Comment

Originally posted by Kytty View Post
                    As far as I know she had no problems on the meds. Her doc wanted to take her off I guess he/s he decided that my mate didnt need them anymore. But even I thought it was weird that she told her to go cold turkey and they havent put her onto a replacement med justcompletely off meds altogether. I'll tell her to call her doc on Monday coz yea its totally messing with her at the moment and she is a little concerned (as am I, dont want the poor chick passing out at her desk). the medic on site said there was nothing he could do for her so she is just gonna have to grin and bear it till go home day on Weds
                    If she couldn't be on her meds they should've at least put her on a replacement.. Be there for her, beside the health side of it, she could emotionally lose it and may need the support Poor girl

Comment

My GP decided one day to put me on Lexapro... For no good reason that I can really see now. I was a bit down after having heart surgery and going from and active, healthy 23 year old to a enforced couch potato. Sure it sucked but I really don't think I was depressed.... At least not until I started taking the pills which totally fucked with my head.

Anyway, I went away to Mesa A for 2 weeks for work, and forgot to pack my pills. I had the brain zaps and everything else, plus I was working 12 hour shifts in 45+ degrees, and I felt like absolute shit. But by the time the 2 weeks were up it had sorted itself out...

Long story short, going cold turkey from Lexapro sucked balls, but it only took a few days to get back to normal for me...

Comment

Yea lots of support from us and gonna help her just stick it out. Hopefully she will come good in a week or so like BenG

Comment

Ah, brain zaps. Resurrecting an old thread as I have something to add.

I've been on Luvox - 200mg a day for about 5 or 6 years and decided a few months ago to ween myself off it. Managed to get down to 50mg a day about a week ago, and yesterday forgot to take my medication.. and then last night as (I guess, judging by the research I've done on the net) I was entering REM sleep, was awakened on 4 different occasions by brain zaps. Nasty stuff. So it prompted me to have a look around the net for what information I could find. Something I found interesting is that a lot of people find that Omega-3 fatty acids (ie, fish oil) help a lot in the reduction of these little critters - it's also been found to reduce anxiety, irritability and aggression - all known withdrawal symptoms when getting off their anti-depressants.

Anyway, I reckon I'll give myself another month or so before I'm off the shit altogether, and then hopefully become a normal functioning person in society once again.

Comment

I've been on Setraline for 6 months now, It's a SSRI like lexapro. There is no way I would cold turkey them, did it by accident (forgot for 2 days). Holy cow it messes the brain box up. Head aches, etc, etc. If your mate has any onsite, take a really reduced dose until they get back to Perth. I would be questioning the Doctor who recommended this course of action.

Edited, Spelling and additions.
                            Last edited by Deefa; 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pnork View Post
                              Ah, brain zaps. Resurrecting an old thread as I have something to add.

I've been on Luvox - 200mg a day for about 5 or 6 years and decided a few months ago to ween myself off it. Managed to get down to 50mg a day about a week ago, and yesterday forgot to take my medication.. and then last night as (I guess, judging by the research I've done on the net) I was entering REM sleep, was awakened on 4 different occasions by brain zaps. Nasty stuff. So it prompted me to have a look around the net for what information I could find. Something I found interesting is that a lot of people find that Omega-3 fatty acids (ie, fish oil) help a lot in the reduction of these little critters - it's also been found to reduce anxiety, irritability and aggression - all known withdrawal symptoms when getting off their anti-depressants.

Anyway, I reckon I'll give myself another month or so before I'm off the shit altogether, and then hopefully become a normal functioning person in society once again.
                              Originally posted by Deefa View Post
                              I've been on Setraline for 6 months now, It's a SSRI like lexapro. There is o way I would cold turkey them, did it by accident (forgot for 2 days). Holy cow it messes the brain box up. Head aches, etc, etc. If your mate has any onsite, take a really reduced dose. Ca
                              Please guys, do me a favour and don't go dropping (or reducing) these med's without medical advice.
                              I almost died playing the 'I can do without this stuff' game a couple of years ago. I thought I was doing really well too.
                              If you drop these things by the wrong amount it changes the way you think, and you can't always tell until it's too late.
                              Good luck with getting off them, but please, don't just do it yourself.
                              Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                              X