First Aid Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid Kits

I have been wondering what would be a good first aid kit to carry on my bike i have a small one at the moment would it be better to customize one for motorcycle accidents .
    Tp

Try to get some training would be my best advice (motorbike specific if you can). From there you will customise your own kit. This is what I have done and have tried to put together what I consider to be the most useful to me and in order to cover most common m/c injuries.
    Having all the kit can be reassuring ( and take up loads of luggage space) but is it any use when you don't really know how to deal with a compound fracture of the lower leg etc.??
    Please don't take this negatively, I applaud you for wanting to have the kit/ be able to help a fellow biker, but knowledge really is power when you can be faced with a major trauma that easily presents itself in a bike accident. I was trained medically because of my work role and always carry some kit in my car and on the bike. I sincerely hope that if I ever needed the urgent medical help of someone after a bike accident there would be someone there with proper kit and the know how to keep me alive.
    I think a lot more bikers should take it upon themselves to get such training so that we can all help each other out if required.

Comment

Those small first aid kits you can buy from a chemist are generally useless. In a motorcycle first aid kit you're gonna want something you can cut leathers off with, something to disinfect open wounds, gauze to stop bleeding, painkillers, bandages to immobilise broken limbs, some kind of eyewash. Think about the kind of injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash and what you'd need to treat them

Comment

I always had a military "shell dressing", and a green whistle under my seat. The day before I had my biggest crash, I had taken it out to detail my bike and never put it back in.

Oh well, the guys that were there did stellar first aid with what they had.

These days, I have a blister pack of Tramadol under the seat. That way I, or passers by can stem the bleeding with torn off shirts (preferable if the first aider is a hot chick), and I have serious pain relief.

Each to their own, but stopping bleeding and good pain relief while you wait for an ambulance is your priority. Just be sure to tell the meatwagon what you have taken.
        It has a dual purpose. ~ Tom Smitheringale

Comment

Ive created my own one from a personal motoring kit, that i take on long rides...

First Aid Kits for Sale - Order a First Aid Kit - St John Ambulance

Ive added an emergency blanket n a few other things..
          "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Comment

I used to carry a Bandage that my brother got for me from when he was in the army...apparently it could hold a couple liters of human oil and if it started to drip then the patient was terminal?

Few years ago now and i lost it, i would love to carry a FA kit but the 109 does not have any space, i have a porta kit in the glove box of the car and a full kit at home....unfortunately it makes little difference if you don't know how to use it properly.
            Get yourselves some first aid training, my senior FA had lapsed so i'm doing a full course again at the end of this month, it's expensive in the short term but the long term saving someones limb or even life is well worth it.
            I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

Remember what your first aid kit and first aid are there to do:
              - address minor injuries to avoid needing further care;
              - stabilise the victim of more serious injuries until professional carers arrive.

Go through the likely scenarios and work out what you need. For me:
              CPR gear: plastic resuscitation barrier, latex gloves, foil emergency blanket for shock/shade, a couple of non-stick dressings and a couple of crepe bandages (for serious bleeding management).
              First aid gear: panadol, ibuprofen, antihistamines, tweezers, bandaids - the squares you can cut to size, scissors, topical spray anaesthetic (lignocaine etc) for stings/burns.

This is small enough to fit under the pillion seat of most bikes, but keeps you reasonably safe from infection as a first aider (most important). It deals with the most likely incidents on a ride: insect stings, minor cuts, scratches burns, blisters, aches and pains at the end of a long day without needing you to stop at a chemist. And, for bigger incidents it gives you the ability to render CPR, manage shock, immobilise a limb and provide compression dressing for serious bites or bleeding.

I don't ride for fun much at the moment (although this is like to change over summer) so my kit has been absorbed back into the car kit. But off the top of my head this is about what I'd throw in there.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

It is probably an expensive way of doing it, but if you are not sure what you need in the kit exactly and you cant be bothered putting one together yourself, some manufacturers sell kits as extras... Well, I know you can buy kits from Triumph at least and would imagine other manufacturers sell similar deals.

They are packaged pretty nicely (and made to fit under the pillion seat), but no doubt you are paying a premium for what you could put together yourself. Not sure what they lack either, but it is an easy start / base and then you could add whatever you feel you need afterward.

Comment

Triangular bandages, Fixumol, steri strips, razor blade, bit of gauze, fabric bandaids (fuck the rubber/plastic shit ones), alco wipes, antihistamines, asprin, barley sugar, small scissors, super glue, stingoes, toilet paper.

All fits in my tool kit hole under my seat with room for more if needed. Should fit under a pillion seat on a sporty too.

Not a single peice of this kit is any use to anyone if your clueless how to use it. Go do a course or get someone qualified to show you. Don't pack it hoping someone on the road will know what to do with it either.

Comment

Some good stuff there if there's room and budget.
                    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Oh yeah gloves and and a disposable car mask... Lol i should get it out and look properly.
                      Shouldn't be too pricey except maybe the Fixumol.

Comment

Working...
                      X