RFID / NFC - anyone played with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFID / NFC - anyone played with it?

Have a project coming up which would be well served by a wireless link between the microcontroller (and its surrounding interface stuff) and a string of Dallas OneWire temperature sensors. The gap needs to be waterproof and electrically insulated but (apart from potting/cover etc) the two bits could be pretty much touching.

I know there are one or two nerds hanging around here - has anyone played with the RFID gear that might be found in a bike key/barrel for example? Have any joy, any gotchas?
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Can't help there but also can't wait until I can use the NFC in my phone for "tap-n-go" purchases, leaving my credit cards at home.

Comment

Strike mobile phone docks use NFC to tell the phone when it's been inserted into the cradle. It's kind of weird seeing your phone go into dock mode before you've even plugged it in.

I'd be looking at whether anyone has done nfc with arduino.
      '====
      //`
      -Magilla
      They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
      Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

^^ yeah, this or avrfreaks would have been my next stop.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I'm not sure that a passive nfc chip would be able to give dynamic readings by itself...

Edit: dynamic NFC: http://techblog.hybris.com/2013/09/2...no-and-the-ti/
          Last edited by Magilla; 22-10-2013, 11:38 AM.
          '====
          //`
          -Magilla
          They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Comment

Nah, it won't be that simple - 8 thermometer chips on a 1-wire bus (Dallas/Maxim) need to be powered and synced off an inductive coupling.

:edit: it's been done before but I would like to incorporate the same concept into something I'm working on.
            Last edited by Captain Starfish; 22-10-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I have used contactless smartcards in the past, but I suspect what you are looking for is what I am currently playing with.

Google NRF2401 modules.
              You can pay $10+ each from electronics/hobby stores, but you pick them up from ebay for $1.50 including postage! (and I have about 15 of the super cheap ones that all work fine)

Have them reliably chatting with the arduino examples, and about to get them to work with an AVR tiny so I can have a wireless switch link in less than the size of a usb thumbdrive.

Hopefully thats what you are after?

edit: bugger - re-read it ..... you want it passively powered???? .... maybe not then

Comment

Yeah, passively powered unfortunately. If I have to add wires for power, well, it's a data-over-power setup already

Was worth a shot, might just have to go for a connector version instead for now.

Ta guys.

Comment

Are you able to get to the sensors and maintain them at reasonable intervals? If so, you could use a TPMS system...
                  '====
                  //`
                  -Magilla

Comment

Maintain?

No, the idea is to cast them into a solid part that never requires servicing, never needs access, just pops into the locating slot in the middle of the coil and works. The guys I'm borrowing the idea from build the DS18B20s and inductive coupling gear into a solid stainless steel part filled with epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                    X