No announcement yet.

What the hell is wrong with my throat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is wrong with my throat?

Well kids, for three weeks straight I've had a horrific cough. Throat feels dry and airway feels like it's the size of a pinhole. Any time I talk above library volume, laugh, yawn, lie down, it becomes a nasty coughing fit. It honestly feels like I've inhaled smoke. It's interfering with my sleep and it's interfering with everything else, too.

Within 24 hours of getting it, I went to see one of those after-hours GPs as I wanted to get this shit sorted ASAP. Here's the following diagnoses and treatment (none of which are working).

Doc #1 (random after hours GP): viral infection, take antibiotics (didn't work)
    Doc #2 (family GP): throat burn due to reflux, take Nexium (which has completely sopped the reflux) and Symbicort (didn't work)
    Chiro: it's a type of hayfever. Mucus thingies in your lungs are inflamed. Doesn't mean it creates mucus, but that's what's making you cough.
    Obstetrician: sore throat is due to muscle tension in your neck. Here's some acupuncture and a neck adjustment. (Didn't work)

So yeah, it's been three weeks and no relief in sight. I figured the PSB brainstrust would probably have the same amount of knowledge as the above medical professionals.

Here's a selfie just taken of some random crap hanging off mah uvula.

So please let me know what you think, cos I'm going batshit crazy.

(If anyone mentions anything inappropriate I will kick your arse.)

Originally posted by vk6hgr
    My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

that looks fucking evil

3 Ways to Tell if You Have Strep Throat - wikiHow

Check the back of your throat. Many who suffer with strep throat develop swollen tonsils coated in patches of white.
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Looks like tonsillitis, but antibiotics should have fixed that

Comment

Originally posted by Daise View Post
        Well kids, for three weeks straight I've had a horrific cough. Throat feels dry and airway feels like it's the size of a pinhole. Any time I talk above library volume, laugh, yawn, lie down, it becomes a nasty coughing fit. It honestly feels like I've inhaled smoke. It's interfering with my sleep and it's interfering with everything else, too.

Within 24 hours of getting it, I went to see one of those after-hours GPs as I wanted to get this shit sorted ASAP. Here's the following diagnoses and treatment (none of which are working).

Doc #1 (random after hours GP): viral infection, take antibiotics (didn't work)
        Doc #2 (family GP): throat burn due to reflux, take Nexium (which has completely sopped the reflux) and Symbicort (didn't work)
        Chiro: it's a type of hayfever. Mucus thingies in your lungs are inflamed. Doesn't mean it creates mucus, but that's what's making you cough.
        Obstetrician: sore throat is due to muscle tension in your neck. Here's some acupuncture and a neck adjustment. (Didn't work)

So yeah, it's been three weeks and no relief in sight. I figured the PSB brainstrust would probably have the same amount of knowledge as the above medical professionals.

Here's a selfie just taken of some random crap hanging off mah uvula.

So please let me know what you think, cos I'm going batshit crazy.

Scrape your tongue, remove as much of the coating as possible....
        Stop all sugars as it looks like a fungal coating (sugars will just feed the fungal problem).
        Also processed pastries can produce this coating as well.
        Try eating cleansing fruits like oranges and pineapples...

When did this start?? Can you pinpoint anything?

Comment

^ yep what I was thinking re fungal infection. Can you take those oral anti-thrush tablets while preggers?

Comment

I had something like that a while back, drove me fucking nuts for a month and a half. Even after 2 different antibiotics, nothing. Went away eventually. Can't even remember what it was. The dry cough drove me up the wall. So you have my sympathy.
            Originally posted by Abuse this
            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Why go to 4 different people?
              Why not go to one that you trust and when their advice doesn't work go back and tell them, so they can have a more in depth look?
              Drs are just people, they get stuff wrong (obviously). It they hear galloping hooves they look for horses not zebra, meaning their first guess will be what they see as most likely. When you go back and say they got it wrong, their view of most likely changes.
              Originally posted by mekon
              Why are pirates called pirates?
              Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
                Why go to 4 different people?
                Why not go to one that you trust and when their advice doesn't work go back and tell them, so they can have a more in depth look?
                Drs are just people, they get stuff wrong (obviously). It they hear galloping hooves they look for horses not zebra, meaning their first guess will be what they see as most likely. When you go back and say they got it wrong, their view of most likely changes.
                First doc was an after hours emergency doc. Being pregnant I wanted this shit sorted ASAP. Saw my regular GP after a week, and the chiro and obs were during my scheduled appointments for other stuff.

Comment

Well that's me out....

In the last week I have picked up a nasty cough and hucking up phlegm in the mornings, hoping it isn't going to hang around for weeks

Comment

My un-ejumacated opinion is thrush, but strep or anything else is possible. I'd suspect it is fungal (so thrush) if anti-biotics didn't work and gargling etc. didn't stop it. Ask a pharmacist about what is suitable, sometimes they can be very helpful with basic stuff that doctors give you the run around with.

Comment

First doc was an after hours emergency doc. Being pregnant I wanted this shit sorted ASAP. Saw my regular GP after a week, and the chiro and obs were during my scheduled appointments for other stuff.
                      Fair enough.

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
                      Well that's me out....

In the last week I have picked up a nasty cough and hucking up phlegm in the mornings, hoping it isn't going to hang around for weeks
                      Sounds like syphilis Johnno.

Seriously though, I got a cough about a month ago that has seen me cancel 2 of my regular blood donations in a row. Only just finished with it late this week. Just viral stuff so no antibiotics, just wait for it to sort itself out.

Hope both of you get better sooner rather than later ^_^
                      Originally posted by mekon
                      Why are pirates called pirates?
                      Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                        My un-ejumacated opinion is thrush, but strep or anything else is possible. I'd suspect it is fungal (so thrush) if anti-biotics didn't work and gargling etc. didn't stop it. Ask a pharmacist about what is suitable, sometimes they can be very helpful with basic stuff that doctors give you the run around with.
                        GP said thrush is a possible side-effect from using Symbicort (it's a cortisone inhaler). Need to rinse out the mouth after each dose. Not much I can do as for relief, can only use vapour drops or strepsils which have about the same healing qualities as a chupa-chup.

Will ask the pharmacist next time I'm there. It's been about 48 hours, I'm overdue for another visit

Comment

Ah ok. Was trying to figure out why you went to a chiro for a sore throat

In the mean time, antibacterial gargle perhaps?

Comment

I had a nagging dry cough earlier this year that persisted for about 2 months. I felt completely fine, but if I laughed or physically exerted myself then I would start coughing. No running or other activities for a while. I didn't see a doc as several people I knew had been to the quack for the same thing at the same time and the advice they received was that if the cough was the only symptom then the body will just work it out itself. And it did
                            Originally posted by Skut
                            ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

Try rinsing (don't swallow) with 3% H2O2 solution (dilute 50/50) - tis great for mouth hygiene. If thrush, get some acidopholus in ya, and as mentioned, scrape your tongue to get rid of the coating.

Comment

Working...
                              X