Actron air ducted a/c, opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actron air ducted a/c, opinions?

Last summer I hunted around for a ducted reverse cycle a/c but gave up as I didn't have the time to do the homework properly. Lot of opinions on what works, what doesn't, which brand is better and so on. In the end I put a split in the master bedroom and got through last summer fine. Turns out the split will cool about 1/3rd of my house with little effort (low fan speed).

I've got more time this summer so again looking to get a ducted system installed. Have done the run around got the same spiels as before except I have a slightly better understanding of what is going on.

A few places are offering Actron esp+ systems. I'm not familiar with the brand but from the reading I have done so far they come with good recommendations. There seems to be tangible differences between these systems and everything else in the same market segment.

So any experiences to share? Good bad otherwise?

There are a few of these type of systems out there. Actron are just marketing theirs as a package.

Actron are a reasonable unit.

As I said in another thread, sizing and installation are the most important part of A/C's to ensure efficiency and long life.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

We chose to install an Actron fully ducted in our home when it was completed in December 2004. Put in a 21Kw jobby and it cools and heats our place (289 Sqm) extremely well. Even in the hottest of days we need to either turn it off for a while, turn up the temp a notch, or put track pants socks and long sleeve shirt coz it's so cool.
      Only problem we had with it is some years ago a zone controller servo in the roof died. Bought a new one ($60 I think) installed it and it's all been good.
      Great system. Couldn't be happier.
      Something something something dark side

Comment

as chew said, it's all much of a muchness.
        no one really has anything dramatically unique.
        they are all the same under different branding/packaging/marketing.

actron are okay. had an okay run with them commercially.
        not the best service dealings, but all are pretty average compared to daikin service.

Comment

I'm in the middle of talks now

For my new 4x2 most are saying 12.5kw ducted system, 8 outlets, 6 zones plus removal AND carting away of old evap around $11k

Dubs

Comment

The reason I am asking about the Actron is that of all the options I have seen so far it's the only one that can do without a constant and run a single zone (that satisfies minimum airflow of the unit) at a time. Everything else is being quoted with a constant so at night I'll be heating/cooling potentially a large area that isn't being used and with that comes higher running costs.

Comment

Lee this is in an email from the guys I have quotes from:

> Toshiba make the very best 'Inverter' style systems available but the very best Airconditioner is an Australian made Actron Air ESP+ or ULTIMA model, see: www.actronair.com.au for more details, they are about 25 to 30 % more expensive to install depanding on the controls you want but they do save you up to 60% on the running costs and can run as little as one standard outlet at a time.

Dubs

Comment

My experience with actron has been fairly limited, With there splits ive found em to be quite noisy, as well as there outdoor unit.
                They still work well and are even used in some camp accommodation up north.
                Pretty much what has been said before get it sized correctly and installed work correctly and you shouldnt have an issue.
                I like how they have only 1 controller for both zones and temp, which some of the cheaper units dont have.
                There pretty competitively priced, and if you can get a good deal on one get one.

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
                  The reason I am asking about the Actron is that of all the options I have seen so far it's the only one that can do without a constant and run a single zone (that satisfies minimum airflow of the unit) at a time. Everything else is being quoted with a constant so at night I'll be heating/cooling potentially a large area that isn't being used and with that comes higher running costs.
                  my daikin unit does that. no need for a constant. wont run without a single zone selected and can bypass if required.
                  regardless of unit, system, brand, etc - zones needs to be correctly sized and calculated and correct airflows used.

Comment

What daikin is that? Of the companies selling daikin all are saying they need a constant.

What's the general rule for kw vs m2? .12, .15, .16?

Comment

varies as to load in the room, orientation, windows, etc.

MY rule of thumb:

100w/sqm per bedroom
                      120w/sqm for master & study (TV's & PC)
                      120-150w/sqm for living, depending on electrical load.
                      150-180w/sqm for theatres, depending on loads, etc.

the 8-zone daikin integrated controller does not need a constant as it has an in-built relay preventing it running with no zones selected.

Comment

Just a little more info guys; make sure that your home insurance covers any new ducted aircon system that you install. We had to replace the blower motor in ours due to a power surge & when we went to claim it we found out that aircons were specifically excluded from the home & contents policy unless you requested to have it added.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

[MENTION=5151]Brougham[/MENTION] where do you take the air temp reading from? Wall control or return air?

Comment

depends on your layout, where the controller is and where the return air grille is.

in my place, it's return air sensing.

Comment

All depends if you want your house to be cooled like a supermarket or not that's why the sell you zoned systems

You want the ac to be efficient you gotta insulate

Are those rule of thumb specs include insulation or not
                              do you think i lack self discipline

Comment

Working...
                              X